1. Add println() statements at critical steps along the way showing the current order, which elements are being compared/swapped, the result of the comparison, etc.--anything you think may be relevant.
2. Work through the process by hand, keeping track of those same intermediate values along the way.
3. Where the output from #1 differs from your manual results from #2, you've found the location of the bug, or at least narrowed it down to the code between the last printout and the current one.
4. Continue refining the above until you have found the problem.
Well, I'm still struggling with the problem. I made separate binary search method to make the code more readable.
I found the problem, but I don't know how to solve it :/.
This is the debugging output:
The problematic part:
It should stop searching position when MIDDLE == 1 and then return the MIDDLE to insert element (2) into that positon. But it goes forward until MIDDLE== 0, and then it inserts element into position 0.
You might do well to sort an array. Look at what it says in the API about Collections#sort(). Creating an array, which is probably easy from your ArrayList (look through its documentation), and turning the array back to a List, are quite quick. You will probably find it easier to sort an array.
Anything worth doing well is worth doing poorly first. Just look at this tiny ad: