• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Devaka Cooray
  • Paul Clapham
Sheriffs:
  • Tim Cooke
  • Knute Snortum
  • Bear Bibeault
Saloon Keepers:
  • Ron McLeod
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Piet Souris
  • Ganesh Patekar
Bartenders:
  • Frits Walraven
  • Carey Brown
  • Tim Holloway

Servlet NullPointerException

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 32
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi. I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post because I still consider this as a beginners question., but still the problem is servlet related. I have two classes ("ChatServlet.class" and "SAXHelper.class") which reside in package called "wm.macijewski". The servlet application ("ChatServlet.class") basically attempts to connect to database and retrieve some values, "SAXHelper.class" is a class which uses SAX API to retrieve some values from .XML document (as you might guess, these values are necessary information to connect to database). I have compiled these files with the following compiler options: "javac -d . SAXHelper.java" and javac -cp "/home/okti/apache-tomcat-7.0.32/lib/servlet-api.jar":"/home/okti/workspace/ChatServlet/src/wm/macijewski/" ChatServlet.java.

Copied those two .class files into "/home/okti/apache-tomcat-7.0.32/webapps/ChatServlet/WEB-INF/classes/wm/macijewski/". My WEB.xml file looks like this:


When i try to execute the servlet, I get:

java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:186)
wm.macijewski.ChatServlet.createUser(ChatServlet.java:104)
wm.macijewski.ChatServlet.doGet(ChatServlet.java:80)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:621)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)

I'm pretty sure the problem is, that server cannot initiate (or find) my class. But why? For me, it looks like I have placed them in correct directories, that is: /classes/wm/macijewski, and if the server fails to find my class, so which one? is it ChatServlet.class or SAXHelper.class? Also, I don't think the problem is within my code, because I have tried doing this with "normal" applications and it works fine.

Any Help is greatly appreciated!
 
Sheriff
Posts: 67266
170
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Waldemar Macijewski wrote:
I'm pretty sure the problem is, that server cannot initiate (or find) my class.


Nope. The stack trace clearly shows that the NPE is occurring inside the servlet. It's even giving you the line number where it is occurring.
 
Waldemar Macijewski
Ranch Hand
Posts: 32
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I thought the problem was with the server for sure!. Anyway here are some code samples from these files:

ChatServlet.java (please ignore the name, it has nothing do with any chat, this just comes from my "rough notes" folder, so I just usually came up with any name)



SAXHelper.java



I have omitted some lines of code as they contain irrelevant information. Also I have placed "Data.xml" file in /webapps/ChatServlet/ folder.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 5575
Eclipse IDE Windows XP Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Waldemar Macijewski wrote:


my wild guess is that SAXHelper.getDriver() is null
 
Waldemar Macijewski
Ranch Hand
Posts: 32
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Seetharaman Venkatasamy wrote:

my wild guess is that SAXHelper.getDriver() is null


Well yes it is, but I still don't understand why? I have copied content of SAXHelper.java and used it with ordinary Java application, and I have tried exactly the same connect to database, and it worked fine..

 
Waldemar Macijewski
Ranch Hand
Posts: 32
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Nah there was problem in the code after all. InputSource constructor should point to fully qualified path name of file, not just "Data.xml" how I did. I didn't see this because, i haven't handled all exceptions (in ChatServlet.java) which might occur when parsing the file, and when I did this, I saw that there was IOException all the time.
 
It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!