I found this post on the ranch Front man examples 2010. In the post Mike Heffelfinger Original Poster added a link to his site where he has set up a little example of Frontman Sample Hello World Front Man™ JAVA web application. I started a new project and brought in the code from Mike's site. The project builds fine but when I click on the link from the index.jsp the project crashes. It looks like something with the path and I think my web.xml is bad. I get the same error on my work machine with tomcat 6.
What I do not understand is what do I replace <param-value>www.yourserver.commands</param-value> with if I am in and IDE working on a project on my local hard drive. I know many of you use Frontman. Any help is welcome. TIA.
In the simple project I tried with the examples I did not make packages for the files that were calling frontman so wouldn't the package just be the project name since the files were in the default package? 11 hours at this and still thinking it's something really simple that I'm just missing
Posting code and most recent error messages. The jsp's are not in any kind of folder or package. qcweb is the project/package. To check what I was doing I put these into another project. These files did not disrupt the project but the same error message came up when I clicked the <a href='command/GetHelloWorldMessageCommand'>get hello world message.</a> link in the index.jsp. Any help appreciated.
GetHelloWorldMessageCommand.java in the commands package
Finally got Frontman working in Eclipse after starting a clean project and working through software issues on my machine.
What Eclipse showed me is that the command class GetHelloWorldMessageCommand.java couldn't compile because there was some kind of system permissions lock on the APIs the project was calling in the JRE. I added an external library that pointed the project to the APIs in another directory and then the class compiled.
Two things that are probably obvious to most everyone but I missed them.
The command classes have to be in their own package, they cannot sit in the default package.
The jsp's that will be called by the frontman need to be in a folder under the WEB-INF folder, they cannot sit directly in the WEB-INF folder.
These things were done in the Eclipse version when I built the project but the project did not work until the permissions on the APIs were resolved.
I went back to Netbeans and added the same fixes but the application still crashes and I am not sure overriding the default API's worked there.
Thanks to Bear for the support.
Men call me Jim. Women look past me to this tiny ad:
ScroogeXHTML - small and flexible RTF to HTML converter library