This week's book giveaway is in the HTML Pages with CSS and JavaScript forum.
We're giving away four copies of React Cookbook: Recipes for Mastering the React Framework and have David Griffiths & Dawn Griffiths on-line!
See this thread for details.
Win a copy of React Cookbook: Recipes for Mastering the React Framework this week in the HTML Pages with CSS and JavaScript forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Rob Spoor
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Junilu Lacar
  • Tim Cooke
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Holloway
  • Piet Souris
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Moores
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Frits Walraven
  • Himai Minh

A newbie in Java.

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 22
Android C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I am currently pursuing my Bachelor's in computer Engineering, and have just started up with Java. I'd like to know your opinions if I should opt for OCJP or just get higher scores and waiting for a job by starting up a project on my own?
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 440
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Greetings Suzie and welcome to the world of JAVA .

Well you cannot absolutely rely on certifications to guarantee you a job in the industry , they do , however, increase your chances of acquiring one. Of-course good grades along with a professional certification will dfinitely look good in a resume.

As far as the certification itself is concerned , the OCJP is all about your understanding of the syntax and semantics of the core JAVA. So I suggest you visit the SCJP Forum forum to get a better understanding of the certification.

If I share my experience , I passed both my certification ( OCJA and OCJP ) before graduation and once I stepped in the industry and started appearing in interviews and all , the logo of the certifications did make my CV stand out in the crowd. Yes , it did help me acquire a "better" job in the market.
 
Suzie Russell
Greenhorn
Posts: 22
Android C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Saif Asif wrote:Greetings Suzie and welcome to the world of JAVA .

I suggest you visit the SCJP Forum forum to get a better understanding of the certification.

If I share my experience , I passed both my certification ( OCJA and OCJP ) before graduation and once I stepped in the industry and started appearing in interviews and all , the logo of the certifications did make my CV stand out in the crowd. Yes , it did help me acquire a "better" job in the market.



Thank you.
And also, thanks for the forum info. Will try to do my best.
 
Marshal
Posts: 73752
332
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
And welcome to the Ranch
 
lowercase baba
Posts: 13001
66
Chrome Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I came across an article not too long ago that says for recent grads, the SINGLE most important criteria for getting a job is whether or not they had an internship...

here

Just something to consider.
 
Suzie Russell
Greenhorn
Posts: 22
Android C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Campbell Ritchie wrote:And welcome to the Ranch


Thank you.
 
Suzie Russell
Greenhorn
Posts: 22
Android C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

fred rosenberger wrote:I came across an article not too long ago that says for recent grads, the SINGLE most important criteria for getting a job is whether or not they had an internship...

here

Just something to consider.



Thanks, that helps.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 30
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Suzie Russell wrote:I am currently pursuing my Bachelor's in computer Engineering, and have just started up with Java. I'd like to know your opinions if I should opt for OCJP or just get higher scores and waiting for a job by starting up a project on my own?



Cert = worthless;

Knowledge and experience is far more valuable to most employers.

 
David S Hansen
Ranch Hand
Posts: 30
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Saif Asif wrote:Greetings Suzie and welcome to the world of JAVA .

Well you cannot absolutely rely on certifications to guarantee you a job in the industry , they do , however, increase your chances of acquiring one. Of-course good grades along with a professional certification will dfinitely look good in a resume.

As far as the certification itself is concerned , the OCJP is all about your understanding of the syntax and semantics of the core JAVA. So I suggest you visit the SCJP Forum forum to get a better understanding of the certification.

If I share my experience , I passed both my certification ( OCJA and OCJP ) before graduation and once I stepped in the industry and started appearing in interviews and all , the logo of the certifications did make my CV stand out in the crowd. Yes , it did help me acquire a "better" job in the market.



Maybe they helped you a little in your job hunt. But its good enough to be a really "awesome" developer without certs and still get a good job. Certs don't really tell us if the person has the aptitude for the job. Most of these certs can be cracked easily using the numerous
books and guides created exactly for that purpose. In the end, you learn a little, but its only an exam.


 
author
Posts: 23906
142
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

David S Hansen wrote:
Cert = worthless;

Knowledge and experience is far more valuable to most employers.



David S Hansen wrote:
Maybe they helped you a little in your job hunt. But its good enough to be a really "awesome" developer without certs and still get a good job. Certs don't really tell us if the person has the aptitude for the job. Most of these certs can be cracked easily using the numerous books and guides created exactly for that purpose. In the end, you learn a little, but its only an exam.



I agree that there are tons of certified candidates that can't code their way out of a paper bag. And when it comes to the interview process, I too, don't make any assumptions with having the certification.

However, that doesn't make getting a certification completely useless. Some people don't have a chance to get experience (especially with zero experience) -- and need something to do. Studying for a certification is a great way to look into all the subjects, have reasons to write test code to figure stuff out, and most importantly, have a goal to shoot for. Granted, people who learn by rote, do little coding on their own, and not continuing coding after the certification, will likely fail the interview -- so don't do that, use the certification process as a learning process (and not just have the cert as the target).

Henry
 
Suzie Russell
Greenhorn
Posts: 22
Android C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Do certs with someone with low grades make a difference if he is a good programmer?
And does the Math HAVE to be good?!
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 73752
332
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Not sure, but probably no to both your questions. There are many fields where you hardly ever use maths.
 
He repaced his skull with glass. So you can see his brain. Kinda like this tiny ad:
the value of filler advertising in 2021
https://coderanch.com/t/730886/filler-advertising
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic