Win a copy of Programmer's Guide to Java SE 8 Oracle Certified Associate (OCA) this week in the OCAJP forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Room Class vs Data Class

 
John Mhenry
Greenhorn
Posts: 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
This is my second day of looking into SCJD assignment and I'm starting to get concerned about using Andrew Monkhouse's book.
The db is different, his db has built in unique identifiers(UPC), mine doesn't, also mine has a whole meta section where his doesn't.
I also noticed that there is an interface in his source which he didn't implement, whereas I have to implement mine under a 'Data' implementation.

This has started me wondering if the book is leading me down false paths and I should just ditch it.

I know, it sounds harsh, especially since Andrew is a legend.
Can someone who has actually completed the assignment with Andrews book let me know if I've got the wrong impression.
 
Guillaume Drouet
Ranch Hand
Posts: 36
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The Monkhouse's book is perfect to prepare the assignement. I bought it and it was very useful.

Just keep in mind that any paper, topic or books that provides a sample project won't be the same as the assignement. Consequently, don't expect that issues like identifying a record in the database or what interface should implemented will be the same as in your assignment. For those details, share your problem on the forum. This approach will complete perfeclty the use of the book.

However, after reading the book, you will have a good idea about the design decision you have to make, the possible architecture you could build and the various tips and good practices which could be implemented. I recommand you to also read the Roberto's paper, which is very interesting in addition to the Monkhouse's book : http://www.coderanch.com/t/525915/java-developer-SCJD/certification/Demystifying-OCMJD-Certification-Successfully-Solving
 
John Mhenry
Greenhorn
Posts: 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Guillaume Drouet wrote:The Monkhouse's book is perfect to prepare the assignement. I bought it and it was very useful.

Just keep in mind that any paper, topic or books that provides a sample project won't be the same as the assignement. Consequently, don't expect that issues like identifying a record in the database or what interface should implemented will be the same as in your assignment. For those details, share your problem on the forum. This approach will complete perfeclty the use of the book.

However, after reading the book, you will have a good idea about the design decision you have to make, the possible architecture you could build and the various tips and good practices which could be implemented. I recommand you to also read the Roberto's paper, which is very interesting in addition to the Monkhouse's book : http://www.coderanch.com/t/525915/java-developer-SCJD/certification/Demystifying-OCMJD-Certification-Successfully-Solving


Just a quick question, have you completed the exam? Did you follow Monkhouse's book?
 
Guillaume Drouet
Ranch Hand
Posts: 36
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yes and yes

I complete the exam and got 392/400.
 
Anayonkar Shivalkar
Bartender
Posts: 1557
5
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi John,

Welcome to CodeRanch!

I would agree with Guillaume. Even I was concerned about using the book. However, the main reason was due to version (the book is for SCJD version 5).

However, as Guillaume has mentioned, please keep in mind that:
1) Andrew's book talks about a specific project. Requirements of that project, and the one you've god will be different.
2) However, Andrew's project is much similar to actual OCMJD project from difficulty perspective (e.g. both project use file based database, both projects require to handle thread-safety and so on).
3) The book contains a very nice discussion about design decisions (e.g. sockets vs RMI) which is immensely valuable for assignment and theory exam.
4) Other issues related to exam (e.g. about packaging the deliverables, preparation for essay exam) are discussed very nicely in the book.

I would strongly recommend to go through the book. When I read it, more than 50% of my doubts were resolved just in first reading

All the Best!
 
Guillaume Drouet
Ranch Hand
Posts: 36
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Anayonkar Shivalkar wrote:
The book contains a very nice discussion about design decisions (e.g. sockets vs RMI) which is immensely valuable for assignment and theory exam.


Also explains everything you have to know about threading, which is a critical part of the assignement
 
Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
Posts: 10387
132
AngularJS Chrome Eclipse IDE Hibernate Java jQuery MySQL Database Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I used Andrew's book and passed the exam, even with full score. This book is great! It offers the concepts and insights in all areas you need to pass this certification. But you have to do thinking and developing, just like you would expect from a developer. It's not just copy-and-paste and your assignment is ready. That would give your certification no value at all!
 
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3760
10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
John Mhenry wrote:This is my second day of looking into SCJD assignment and I'm starting to get concerned about using Andrew Monkhouse's book.
The db is different, his db has built in unique identifiers(UPC), mine doesn't, also mine has a whole meta section where his doesn't.
I also noticed that there is an interface in his source which he didn't implement, whereas I have to implement mine under a 'Data' implementation.

This has started me wondering if the book is leading me down false paths and I should just ditch it.

I know, it sounds harsh, especially since Andrew is a legend.
Can someone who has actually completed the assignment with Andrews book let me know if I've got the wrong impression.


You may also want to take a look at a Sample Project available for free at enthuware.com. It will give you another perspective into the problem and possible solution. There are lot of details on the design within the code itself in the form of comments.

HTH,
Paul.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic