Win a copy of The Java Performance Companion this week in the Performance forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Esteban Herrera - Java Practice Questions book

 
N Sam
Ranch Hand
Posts: 77
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I am using the book mentioned in subject line for OCA prep. I find the questions to be surprisingly hard (my first time going through it). Are the real exam questions as difficult as this book ?
My second question is about enthuware online mock exams. Does this contain answer explanations (like Herrera book), so that i can understand what i did wrong and why ?
 
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3752
10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
N Sam wrote:
My second question is about enthuware online mock exams. Does this contain answer explanations (like Herrera book), so that i can understand what i did wrong and why ?

Yes, every question has an explanation and many questions even have a discussion thread associated with them. Please try the trial version to know more.
HTH,
Paul
 
Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
Posts: 10223
129
AngularJS Chrome Eclipse IDE Hibernate Java jQuery MySQL Database Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
N Sam wrote:I am using the book mentioned in subject line for OCA prep. I find the questions to be surprisingly hard (my first time going through it).

I don't know the book at all. But I can give some general remarks (which apply to every book/resource you use):
  • Each question (on the actual exam) will mention the number of correct options. So that might be a valuable hint/tip which makes it a bit easier.
  • Until the OCPJP6 exam there was just 1 exam, for JDK7 the exam is split into 2 exams: OCAJP7 & OCPJP7. So if you have a book/resource which already existed for the OCPJP6 the new version of the book/resource will almost always be an update. So the mock questions have to be assigned to the appropriate exam. That's a delicate process, so a mistake can be easily made (and thus the question ends up in the wrong exam). If the book/resource is a new kid on the block (created from scratch for the OCAJP7, like the Mala Gupta book) this should be less likely to happen. So if you encounter a bunch of question about topics you don't have learned about, 1st make sure these topics are covered on the actual exam.
  • From the personal success stories of other ranchers I have read, the general trend is that questions on the exam are easier than the mock questions in the different books/resources.


  • Hope it helps!
     
    Esteban Herrera
    author
    Ranch Hand
    Posts: 42
    1
    Eclipse IDE Java Spring
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator
    Hi N Sam,

    I'm the author of the book you're mentioning.

    Roel is right. Each question on the actual exam states the number of correct options and the questions of practice exams are always harder so you're better prepared and pass the exam easily. That's the reason I made the questions hard.

    If you have doubts or need help with something, I'll be glad to help you. Just send me a "purple mooseages" or an email (you can find the address on the book), since I'm not always in this forum.

    Thank you.
     
    Roel De Nijs
    Sheriff
    Posts: 10223
    129
    AngularJS Chrome Eclipse IDE Hibernate Java jQuery MySQL Database Spring Tomcat Server
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator
    Esteban Herrera wrote:If you have doubts or need help with something, I'll be glad to help you. Just send me a "purple mooseages" or an email (you can find the address on the book), since I'm not always in this forum.

    We prefer to UseTheForumNotEmail. If he posts his doubts/questions in these forums, a whole community is ready to answer and everybody can benefit from these discussions!
     
    Jeanne Boyarsky
    author & internet detective
    Marshal
    Posts: 34672
    367
    Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
    • Likes 1
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator
    Roel De Nijs wrote:
    Esteban Herrera wrote:If you have doubts or need help with something, I'll be glad to help you. Just send me a "purple mooseages" or an email (you can find the address on the book), since I'm not always in this forum.

    We prefer to UseTheForumNotEmail. If he posts his doubts/questions in these forums, a whole community is ready to answer and everybody can benefit from these discussions!

    But if it is about Esteban's book specifically sending a Purple Moosage with a link to the post is a good idea!

    That way the author gets to weigh in about his book and everyone can benefit from the answer.
     
    Roel De Nijs
    Sheriff
    Posts: 10223
    129
    AngularJS Chrome Eclipse IDE Hibernate Java jQuery MySQL Database Spring Tomcat Server
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator
    Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:
    Roel De Nijs wrote:
    Esteban Herrera wrote:If you have doubts or need help with something, I'll be glad to help you. Just send me a "purple mooseages" or an email (you can find the address on the book), since I'm not always in this forum.

    We prefer to UseTheForumNotEmail. If he posts his doubts/questions in these forums, a whole community is ready to answer and everybody can benefit from these discussions!

    But if it is about Esteban's book specifically sending a Purple Moosage with a link to the post is a good idea!

    That way the author gets to weigh in about his book and everyone can benefit from the answer.


    True! That's what I have done a few times with Andrew (Monkhouse, author of an SCJD book when it was still a popular exam, before the mandatory course) and still do in this forum with Mala (Gupta, the author of 1 of the OCAJP7 study guides).
     
    • Post Reply
    • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
    • New Topic