• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Enough time to answer all questions

 
winsen Gor
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
Android Firefox Browser Netbeans IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, first of all thanks for this great space and sorry for my poor English, I'm new here
today i finished the Mala Gupta's book mock exam and I could not finish all the questions , just answered 70/90. i had not enough time
how can I increase my speed ​​answering questions ? I want pass the exam at the end of this month
 
Jelle Klap
Bartender
Posts: 1952
7
Eclipse IDE Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, welcome to JavaRanch!
I'd say first thing would be to try to identify the area(s) you're struggling with and spending too much time understanding/answering questions, so you know where to focus your effort.
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 35279
384
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
One technique I find helpful is to write down a couple words on why each one is correct. This trains you to look for certain things first. For example, suppose you write down that a question is "does not compile" because it has a static method referring to an instance method. When you see this in further practice, you'll notice this case faster and can stop reading the question/logic at that point.

Also, practice doing the questions repeatedly. While you don't want to be getting them right because you memorized the answer, this will help you train your brain to look for these things faster. Then when you go on to the free mock exams online (see this forum's FAQ for links), you'll already be faster and can refine your skill.

Finally, try to identify which type of questions take you longer. That way when you see them, you can mark them to go back to at the end on the real exam.
 
winsen Gor
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
Android Firefox Browser Netbeans IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thank you for your answers and your time

I will try it that way, repeating mock exams many times (understanding not memorising sure )
 
Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
Posts: 10662
144
AngularJS Chrome Eclipse IDE Hibernate Java jQuery MySQL Database Spring Tomcat Server
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Another (more or less related) tip: when you take the actual exam (or a full mock exam) you should set for yourself a time limit for each question (e.g. 1 minute). If you can't answer a question within this time limit (or you don't have a clue at all), just mark the question for review and proceed with the next question. When you have finished all questions, you can go back to the questions you marked for review and take the time you need for answering them. Using this technique you are guaranteed to have a look at (and answer) every question. In the Mala Gupta exam you didn't have a chance to answer 20 questions (because you ran out of time), but maybe 10 of these questions could have been no-brainers which you would have answered straightaway. In the end these questions could make the difference between pass or fail, a good score or a great one.

Just my 2 cents (although it's actually just 1 )
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 35279
384
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Good point Roel. I'd actually further that with "answer C when you mark it for review". In the event there isn't time to go back to them all or you really don't know, the point is to guess. Then you have a 20% (or so) chance of getting it right instead of a 0% chance.
 
Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
Posts: 10662
144
AngularJS Chrome Eclipse IDE Hibernate Java jQuery MySQL Database Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:I'd actually further that with "answer C when you mark it for review". In the event there isn't time to go back to them all or you really don't know, the point is to guess. Then you have a 20% (or so) chance of getting it right instead of a 0% chance.

That's indeed even better! Make sure you'll select as many correct answers as the question requires and you even have a chance to get the point even if you ran out of time
 
winsen Gor
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
Android Firefox Browser Netbeans IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Roel De Nijs wrote:Another (more or less related) tip: when you take the actual exam (or a full mock exam) you should set for yourself a time limit for each question (e.g. 1 minute). If you can't answer a question within this time limit (or you don't have a clue at all), just mark the question for review and proceed with the next question. When you have finished all questions, you can go back to the questions you marked for review and take the time you need for answering them. Using this technique you are guaranteed to have a look at (and answer) every question. In the Mala Gupta exam you didn't have a chance to answer 20 questions (because you ran out of time), but maybe 10 of these questions could have been no-brainers which you would have answered straightaway. In the end these questions could make the difference between pass or fail, a good score or a great one.

Just my 2 cents (although it's actually just 1 )


Hi ,
I did exactly that. before answering every question I look at the time and i set one minute as maximum for answering, some times it takes me 2 or more but anyway i have more control of time and it push me to keep focusing.
Finally i have enough time to answer all questions on enthuware mock exams. the problem is that i have to answer quickly and many times i mess some important hidden data on the questions.
One other important point is i should do mock exams when i´m ready, i mean not just after coming back tired from work.
 
Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
Posts: 10662
144
AngularJS Chrome Eclipse IDE Hibernate Java jQuery MySQL Database Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Abdelhadi Oulgour wrote:Finally i have enough time to answer all questions on enthuware mock exams.

Glad to hear

Abdelhadi Oulgour wrote:the problem is that i have to answer quickly and many times i mess some important hidden data on the questions.

By taking more mock exams you'll learn which pitfalls you have to look for. E.g. if you have an exercise with some nested loops with some prefix & postfix operators you might spend 2 minutes to work through the complete exercise and then you'll see a print statement with a variable which is out-of-scope. If you spotted that immediately you would have saved 2 minutes.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic