Win a copy of Five Lines of Code this week in the OO, Patterns, UML and Refactoring forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Ron McLeod
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Paul Clapham
Sheriffs:
  • Tim Cooke
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • fred rosenberger
  • salvin francis
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • Frits Walraven
  • Carey Brown

Java Certification/Career route

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 5
Eclipse IDE Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I need some advice in taking a Java route. I got out of college like a year ago and currently struggling to find work as I don't have work/internship experience. I love Java. I worked with Java through my whole college career. I thought about it for a while and I decided I want to start studying for Java Certification. Is OCAJP 7 and OCPJP 7 a good route for a junior level position? I am currently learning JSP and Spring Framework too. In the Los Angeles area, all I see open are Java EE, Java Spring, so I think I'm going to head to Java Web Development route. Will the certifications help me with the Java Web Development jobs area? Any other advices that can help guide me to find a job will be helpful.

Thanks in advance
 
author
Posts: 23878
142
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Kevin Bowen wrote:I need some advice in taking a Java route. I got out of college like a year ago and currently struggling to find work as I don't have work/internship experience. I love Java. I worked with Java through my whole college career. I thought about it for a while and I decided I want to start studying for Java Certification. Is OCAJP 7 and OCPJP 7 a good route for a junior level position? I am currently learning JSP and Spring Framework too. In the Los Angeles area, all I see open are Java EE, Java Spring, so I think I'm going to head to Java Web Development route. Will the certifications help me with the Java Web Development jobs area? Any other advices that can help guide me to find a job will be helpful.



I think that it is better to judge based on your competition, and not based on a checklist of items, such as a certification. After all, work experience (via internships) isn't just an arbitrary requirement / checklist item. It is important because your competition have such experience, and you didn't.

Having said that, of course, certifications will help. You will be better positioned than those with no experience and no certifications to get a job interview. However, it is no magic bullet. There are those with certifications and are struggling (for other reasons) to find work. The main reason is likely that they learned the certification material by rote, and didn't truly have the understanding to pass the interview. And also, it have been a year, so the next crop of graduates (many with internship experience) are about to enter the workforce too.

Good luck,
Henry
 
author & internet detective
Posts: 40035
809
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Beyond the cert, do something. It can be a website for yourself. Like an online portfolio.

Employers want to see you can code. Even if you don't have an internship, you can still do things for fun.
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 24
Eclipse IDE Chrome Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I hear you, brother. Although you're in better position than I am. My best advice is maybe check out Odesk.com and see if you can pick up any side projects. I've been working on there for the past 6 months, decent side money.

Or you could always just start writing programs that you think would be helpful to people. I heard starting a blog also helps get your name out there.
 
Henry Wong
author
Posts: 23878
142
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

David McMonigle wrote:I hear you, brother. Although you're in better position than I am. My best advice is maybe check out Odesk.com and see if you can pick up any side projects. I've been working on there for the past 6 months, decent side money.

Or you could always just start writing programs that you think would be helpful to people. I heard starting a blog also helps get your name out there.



Also, given a choice of side projects, I would recommend choosing one that you are more interested in. Basically, during an interview, passion shows. If you are more interested in a project, you will think more through the project, you will do more for that project, you will have more passion for the project, and it will show when you are discussing the project.

Henry
 
Sheriff
Posts: 11604
178
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Henry Wong wrote:Basically, during an interview, passion shows. If you are more interested in a project, you will think more through the project, you will do more for that project, you will have more passion for the project, and it will show when you are discussing the project.


I completely agree! I'm 99% convinced my passion, my drive and the twinkle in my eyes when I was talking about my internship during the interview, got me my 1st job. I was (and still am) very pleased with what we did in that 6 weeks and that really showed

There are several candidates for a job and somehow you have to make the difference. And certification will definitely help, but it doesn't guarantee you a job (interview). But please take your time to prepare for (and clear) the certification! People tend to rush the preparation and clear the certification as soon as possible. But in my opinion that's not the preferred approach. Getting certified is much more than just that piece of paper. It's all about becoming a better developer, understanding even the subtle aspects of the language, knowing what you do and why you have to do it like that,... And that simply takes time!

Good luck!
 
Police line, do not cross. Well, this tiny ad can go through:
Thread Boost feature
https://coderanch.com/t/674455/Thread-Boost-feature
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic