• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

generate an output pattern  RSS feed

 
chrstian ferma
Ranch Hand
Posts: 72
Eclipse IDE Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Write a program that will display a pattern depending on n. Assume n as a one digit odd number.

Example: if n=9, display
*000*000*
0*00*00*0
00*0*0*00
000***000
 
Tim Cooke
Marshal
Posts: 4051
239
Clojure IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
How's about this? I believe it satisfies your requirements.
 
Joanne Neal
Rancher
Posts: 3742
16
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Tim Cooke wrote:I believe it satisfies your requirements.

Not quite I don't think. If the pattern depends on n, it suggests the pattern will be different for different values of n, so I think the code should be
 
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender
Posts: 12565
49
Chrome Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
an example is great, but it isn't a spec. what EXACTLY should happen for various values of n?
 
Joanne Neal
Rancher
Posts: 3742
16
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
On a more serious note
@chrstian Nobody is going to write the code for you (see NotACodeMill), but if you come up with a more detailed specification* we will certainly try to help you write the code.

* For example
How does that pattern relate to the value 9 ?
What are the patterns for other values of n ?
Is there an algorithm for working out the pattern given a value of n or are they just random patterns assigned to each value ?
 
Tim Cooke
Marshal
Posts: 4051
239
Clojure IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Joanne, I think we are both correct. The behaviour for when n does not equal 9 is undefined so both of our solutions could be argued to be correct.

However, before we get off an a tangent, I threw in that somewhat glib response to highlight the fact that you have not specified your problem enough to be able to write a complete solution for it. A point that Fred has made in a more straightforward manner.

Another point to not is that we are NotACodeMill, which means that nobody is going to give you the solution. What we will do is help and guide you into solving the problem yourself. That's how we learn.
 
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender
Posts: 10575
66
Eclipse IDE Hibernate Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Joanne Neal wrote:* For example
How does that pattern relate to the value 9 ?

That's what I was trying to work out.

As far as I could see, each pattern is 9 characters long, and is made up of 6 '0's and 3 '*'s; but since 9 is the ONLY single-digit odd number that isn't prime, it doesn't seem to give much of a clue.

Winston
 
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender
Posts: 10575
66
Eclipse IDE Hibernate Ubuntu
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Tim Cooke wrote:I threw in that somewhat glib response to highlight the fact that you have not specified your problem enough to be able to write a complete solution for it.

I certainly agree with your point, but it's actually kind of a neat challenge if you take it as one of those "intelligence test" questions.

My observations:
1. All patterns involve '*' and '0'.
2. All patterns are mirror images about a central '*'.
3. All patterns involve exactly one '*' in their "halves".
4. In order, they move from '*' on the outside, to '*' nearest the centre.

So my solution for n=7 would be:
"*00*00*"
"0*0*0*0"
"00***00"

and for n=5:
"*0*0*"
"0***0"

for n=3:
"***"

and if n=1 has a solution:
"*"

Anyone have a different solution?

Winston
 
chrstian ferma
Ranch Hand
Posts: 72
Eclipse IDE Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
chrstian ferma wrote:Write a program that will display a pattern depending on n. Assume n as a one digit odd number.



Example: if n=9, display
*000*000*
0*00*00*0
00*0*0*00
000***000


cause i cant understant how the pattern generated , i believe this one can easily done by for loop thank you , i appreciate the answers i believe n=9 then system.out the expected output is not what im trying to explain but it's a valid answer due to not detailed question
 
chrstian ferma
Ranch Hand
Posts: 72
Eclipse IDE Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Winston Gutkowski wrote:
Joanne Neal wrote:* For example
How does that pattern relate to the value 9 ?

That's what I was trying to work out.

As far as I could see, each pattern is 9 characters long, and is made up of 6 '0's and 3 '*'s; but since 9 is the ONLY single-digit odd number that isn't prime, it doesn't seem to give much of a clue.

Winston


thank you what im looking is a guidance not the exact answer
 
chrstian ferma
Ranch Hand
Posts: 72
Eclipse IDE Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
my bad not a detailed post , my post looks like im looking on exact answer
 
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender
Posts: 10575
66
Eclipse IDE Hibernate Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
chrstian ferma wrote:cause i cant understant how the pattern generated...

Well I'm afraid that's an absolute must. All I've been doing is musing about possibilities.

If this is for a class, then I suggest you ask your tutor, because what you've given us is definitely not enough to go on.

Winston
 
Joanne Neal
Rancher
Posts: 3742
16
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
chrstian ferma wrote:cause i cant understant how the pattern generated

In that case it's not a Java problem, it's a logic problem.
And if that's all the information you have, then Winston's guess is as good as anyone else's. But for that matter, so is Tim's.
 
chrstian ferma
Ranch Hand
Posts: 72
Eclipse IDE Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Winston Gutkowski wrote:
chrstian ferma wrote:cause i cant understant how the pattern generated...

Well I'm afraid that's an absolute must. All I've been doing is musing about possibilities.

If this is for a class, then I suggest you ask your tutor, because what you've given us is definitely not enough to go on.

Winston




thanks i believe i need more details regarding this
 
It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!