• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Beginning to code  RSS feed

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey, I've gotten really interested in computer science but I want to learn to code. Everyone has been telling me Java is good to start with so here I am Can anyone recommend a clear cut method to start learning and coding in Java? I would prefer a good book that's beginner friendly but videos are fine too. I'm sure once I start I'll get to grips with it fast.

Thanks!!


P.S: I made a post about this around last year I think too, I have a Head First Java book but it's outdated, though just reading through the post someone told me Java 8 is backwards compatible so the book still should be able to teach me the theory I need to know. but if any of you know any other good resources, I'd like to know!
 
Sheriff
Posts: 11494
180
Android Debian Eclipse IDE IntelliJ IDE Java Linux Mac Spring Ubuntu
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Try the Java Tutorials

And Welcome Back to the Ranch!
 
Bartender
Posts: 10575
66
Eclipse IDE Hibernate Ubuntu
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Serhat Ordek wrote:I have a Head First Java book but it's outdated...

How outdated? As you say, Java is backwards compatible (always; not just version 8), so a book current for anything past v6 should be just fine. I'd steer clear of anything prior to v5 though, because a LOT of changes were made then.

You'll have plenty of time to catch up with the finer points of later releases afterwards.

HIH

Winston
 
Serhat Ordek
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Winston Gutkowski wrote:
Serhat Ordek wrote:I have a Head First Java book but it's outdated...

How outdated? As you say, Java is backwards compatible (always; not just version 8), so a book current for anything past v6 should be just fine. I'd steer clear of anything prior to v5 though, because a LOT of changes were made then.

You'll have plenty of time to catch up with the finer points of later releases afterwards.

HIH

Winston


It tells me to get Java 5 or 6, so I think it should be fine, as you've said Java is backwards compatible so I should be good I'm in my first year of A levels so I want to learn the background theory of coding a bit before I start my course. It looks good to the Uni's and I think I should just know the basics at least, and I've heard Java is the easiest language to start with and is good as a stepping stone to other languages.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 36
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi;

I am also a beginner and I follow this youtube playlist; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPUaTT0Xoo4&list=PLYPWr4ErjcnzWB95MVvlKArO6PIfv1fHd

It is great for beginners like me. Just have a look at it.
 
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender
Posts: 10575
66
Eclipse IDE Hibernate Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Serhat Ordek wrote:It looks good to the Uni's and I think I should just know the basics at least, and I've heard Java is the easiest language to start with and is good as a stepping stone to other languages.

I'd agree with the second part of that statement ... not so sure about the first though.

I wonder when objectbash will happen?

Winston
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 16
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi! I'm going to recommend a book I haven't actually read. Its Murach's Java Programming. Latest edition seems to be 2011. The reason I am recommending it is that I have read other Murach's books, one on Javascript and JQuery, one on HTML5 and CSS and one on Java Servlets and JSP's. I absolutely love their step by step approach. The books usually take you through the development of a single example and you take small steps. Everything is explained in a short text, like 1 or 1 1/2 page and on the next page you have very clear examples. Each chapter has exercises if I remember correctly. This small steps approach has worked very well for me. I have also found the examples in those books to be practical and useful for reference later on. I think their Java book would have been better for me too when I started, I got the 1000 page Java Complete Reference, because hey if you are going to learn it, get the biggest brick of a book, right...? I guess the name should have been a hint.

 
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender
Posts: 10575
66
Eclipse IDE Hibernate Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jarno Virta wrote:I guess the name should have been a hint.

Size != quality.

Winston
 
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!