Forums Register Login

Why Thread loop is not finishing without mentioning printing?

+Pie Number of slices to send: Send
I was trying to read an article from here http://www.javaworld.com/article/2071214/java-concurrency/java-101--understanding-java-threads--part-3--thread-scheduling-and-wait-notify.html
I was doing the same example but loop is not ending. Thread is struck at CalculateThreadDemo run method. If i mentioned System.out.println
then it got terminated else infinite loop continues. I don't understand this. Please help me.

code:

BlockedThreadDemo

CalculateThread

Main class:

Output:

With commenting the statement:

i: = 49i: = 13i: = 10
isFinished: true
main thread is dead
BlockedThreadDemo is finished.

Without commenting the statement:

isFinished: true
main thread is dead
CalculateThread is finished.

BlockedThreadDemo is finished.
I would start by forgetting about an article that was written over 12 years ago. It is not current practice to extend Thread, rather you would implement Runnable instead.

For learning about how to work with concurrency (in this decade), I recommend the The Java Tutorials : Concurrency.
Agree with your point that this is old practice(extending Thread class) but i want to know why this is coming when it should not be? It could come using Runnable
as well as problem is in run() method. I am searching where i am getting wrong..
Hi Tushar, correct me if am wrong ..
Here you are using two different thread say BlockedThreadDemo and CalculateThread and one main thread that contains the main().The main catch is

bt1.setFinished(true);
ct1.setFinished(true);

After sleeping 5 sec the main therad wakes up and setting these two flags.In the mean while the CalculateThread thread completed its execution.The BlockedThreadDemo thread is still alive , if we make a enter (\n) there the BlockedThreadDemo thread comes up from its while and the thread ends up its execution ..The app also complete its execution.

Satya
If you're working on this example to learn about concurrency, then you're wasting your time by learning the wrong thing.
Thanks Tim, I modified the code as per current practice but still showing same thing. I am trying to learn only scheduling thing.

Updated code:

meantime i am looking for oracle docs for the same.

In the mean while the CalculateThread thread completed its execution.

It doesnot.
I figured it out. I have to use volatile to solve it.. Thanks Tim again.. I will stop using this practice now..
Friends help you move. Good friends help you move bodies. This tiny ad will help:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com

This thread has been viewed 599 times.