Senior Software Developer –MOOSE Team
£26,988 - £30,194 + excellent benefits & relocation allowance of up to £5,000
Based in Exeter
Full time, permanent
Why work in Technology at the Met Office
It’s an incredibly exciting time to work in Technology here at the Met Office. Our supercomputer can do more than 1000 trillion calculations per second and has enough power to take in hundreds of thousands of global weather observations and run atmospheric models containing more than a million lines of code. We’re also working closely with high profile organisations like Google, NASA, IBM, Cisco, and VMware to optimise our game-changing capabilities and develop even more innovative ways to meet the diverse needs of our customers and protect people across the world.
Our weather prediction models are the foundations of products and services that millions of people and organisations rely on, all over the world. Having recently invested in one of the world’s most powerful supercomputers, we will have access to more incredible data than ever before. All of our data is stored in our Mass Archiving System and in this vital and valued role, you’ll deliver software solutions to optimise the user interface layer to this important system.
As Senior Software Developer, you’ll contribute to a business-crucial system that is of huge importance to the Met Office. You’ll be involved in the entire software development lifecycle for MOOSE. As well as writing code, you’ll play a pivotal role in identifying and driving improvements to the system’s capability and usability. From capturing requirements, design and development to rolling out software, you’ll take on a variety of challenges and deliver impressive solutions that meet customer requirements, in a timely manner. You’ll be part of a team whose work is vital to how we operate as you ensure the MOOSE user interface layer in the Met Office MASS (Managed Archive Storage System) Archiving System is performing to optimum level, for the internal and external users, who rely on its technology.
You’ll need to have the following essential criteria to be considered for this role:
1. A qualification in computer science, computing or other numerate subject, or equivalent experience;
2. Enthusiasm for IT and providing innovative and professional services incorporating new technologies in an appropriate manner;
3. Experience of analysis and design concepts and techniques;
4. Experience of working with Java, XML, Linux and SQL;
5. Ability to problem solve and organise work in a structured way;
6. Ability to participate effectively in a team environment and be able to work independently on allocated tasks;
7. Good interpersonal, written and oral communication skills with a proven track record of ability to communicate complex technical information in a clear concise manner to non-technical specialists including business colleagues and customers. Strong technical writing skills.
If you’ve any of the following desirable criteria, that’s even better:
1. Previous experience of working in an Agile development environment;
2. Knowledge of IT Security;
3. Experience of RDBMS Databases and awareness of other NOSQL technologies;
4. Experience of Linux Scripting, GIT and JIRA, Web Services.
What we’ll do for you
We will invest in your development to help you grow with the Met Office. On top of your salary and the breadth of technology and facilities you’ll work with, we also provide a competitive Civil Service Pension, 27.5 days’ holiday allowance, excellent training at our Met Office College, opportunities for flexible working, performance-related pay schemes and much more. And based in our award-winning Exeter headquarters, you will have world-class facilities all around you.