Win a copy of The Little Book of Impediments (e-book only) this week in the Agile and Other Processes forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

wrong answer for review question (Java OCA 8 Programmer I Study Guide)

 
Dominik Bauer
Greenhorn
Posts: 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

I'm currently reading or let's say studying the book "OCA: Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 8 Programmer I - Study Guide Exam 1Z0-808" (ISBN: ) of Jeanne Boyarsky and Scott Selikoff.
I like the style of the book and the tricky exam questions at the end of every chapter.

Nevertheless i tried exam 2 and compared my results with the ones in Appendix A.

I was surprised about the answer for Example 18 of Exam 2:
The Question:
What is the output of the following snippet:


In the Appendix is written that option A is correct and, but at the end of the explanation is noted that answer B is correct. The problem is now, that if you just check the number of the example and the correct answers, which are normally written immediate after the number of the example is wrong. The explanation of example 18 should start with "18. B." and not with "18. A.".

PS: What I don't like about the book is that some examples have code that starts at the end of a page and goes on on the top of the next page. That's really hard to read.
 
Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
Posts: 10662
144
AngularJS Chrome Eclipse IDE Hibernate Java jQuery MySQL Database Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Dominik Bauer,

First of all, a warm welcome to CodeRanch!

Dominik Bauer wrote:Nevertheless i tried exam 2 and compared my results with the ones in Appendix A.

I was surprised about the answer for Example 18 of Exam 2:

You probably mean you tried the mock questions of chapter 2

Dominik Bauer wrote:In the Appendix is written that option A is correct and, but at the end of the explanation is noted that answer B is correct. The problem is now, that if you just check the number of the example and the correct answers, which are normally written immediate after the number of the example is wrong. The explanation of example 18 should start with "18. B." and not with "18. A.".

Well spotted! That's indeed a typo. Someone who has marked A as the correct answer, might not read the explanation and discover B is actually the correct answer. Your name will be on the list

Dominik Bauer wrote:PS: What I don't like about the book is that some examples have code that starts at the end of a page and goes on on the top of the next page. That's really hard to read.

Probably a paper-saving measure. And on the actual exam it could happen that a code snippet is too big to fit entirely on the screen, so you have to scroll which can be really hard as well. So you'll definitely be prepared

Kind regards,
Roel
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 35279
384
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Dominik Bauer wrote:I like the style of the book and the tricky exam questions at the end of every chapter.

Thanks! The tricky questions prepare you well for the exam!

Dominik Bauer wrote:In the Appendix is written that option A is correct and, but at the end of the explanation is noted that answer B is correct. ...

Good catch. I've added it to the errata. Thanks for registering and letting us know!

Dominik Bauer wrote:PS: What I don't like about the book is that some examples have code that starts at the end of a page and goes on on the top of the next page. That's really hard to read.

I think Roel is right about it being a paper saving measure. Or just "how books work." If it makes you feel any better, all the cert books I've read (from various major publishers) all have that problem.
 
Mushfiq Mammadov
Ranch Hand
Posts: 187
25
Java jQuery Netbeans IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I saw it when I tested this question. But it is interesting that I didn't note it here)
 
Dominik Bauer
Greenhorn
Posts: 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:
Good catch. I've added it to the errata.


Thank you, but my name is written wrong. ;)
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 35279
384
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Dominik Bauer wrote:Thank you, but my name is written wrong. ;)

Sorry. Fixed that. I'm bad with names. I really should copy/paste them. The reason that I don't is then I'll never learn how to spell them or remember them.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic