• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Doubt about Practice Exam 1, question 10 (Java OCA 8 Programmer I Study Guide)

 
Martin Müller
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Practise exam 1: "Choose all that apply" should be removed (OCA Java 8)

 
Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
Posts: 10662
144
AngularJS Chrome Eclipse IDE Hibernate Java jQuery MySQL Database Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Martin Müller wrote:Practise exam 1: "Choose all that apply" should be removed (OCA Java 8)

No, it should not! It makes the question harder, because now you don't know how many answers to select and you have to evaluate each answer option. This makes the question harder than when it mentioned "Select 1 correct answer" (like on the actual exam). And because practice exams' purpose is to prepare you for the actual exam, it's no problem if they are (a little) harder than the actual exam. So taking these mock exams will definitely toughen you up for the actual exam with questions like this (and that's why you buy/use a study guide). for the authors!

Hope it helps!
Kind regards,
Roel
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 35279
384
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Martin,
It looks ok to me. It is possible for code to not compile because of more than one line. And "choose all that apply" means there might be more than one answer, not that there has to be.
 
Martin Müller
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Roel De Nijs wrote:
Practise exam 1: "Choose all that apply" should be removed (OCA Java 8)

No, it should not! It makes the question harder, because now you don't know how many answers to select and you have to evaluate each answer option. This makes the question harder than when it mentioned "Select 1 correct answer" (like on the actual exam). And because practice exams' purpose is to prepare you for the actual exam, it's no problem if they are (a little) harder than the actual exam. So taking these mock exams will definitely toughen you up for the actual exam with questions like this (and that's why you buy/use a study guide). for the authors!

Hope it helps!
Kind regards,
Roel


Hello Jeanne and Roel,

I disagree on this, as the book clearly states:
Introduction,xxiii wrote:If a question has more than one answer [...] we say "choose all that apply".
This question is inconsistent, compared to the other questions in the book / online. Never the less, it is a very minute problem that could just as well be ignored.

Tomorrow is my exam...wish me luck

-Martin
 
Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
Posts: 10662
144
AngularJS Chrome Eclipse IDE Hibernate Java jQuery MySQL Database Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Martin Müller wrote:I disagree on this, as the book clearly states:
Introduction,xxiii wrote:If a question has more than one answer [...] we say "choose all that apply".
This question is inconsistent, compared to the other questions in the book / online. Never the less, it is a very minute problem that could just as well be ignored.

If a question has only one correct answer it would be better to use radio buttons instead of checkboxes. That's more consistent with the user interface of the actual exam. But I don't have any problem with this question at all. In practice questions and mock exams I really like being challenged, because then I know I will be thoroughly prepared for the exam. And a "Choose all that apply" question challenges me much more than a "Select 2 correct answers" one.

Martin Müller wrote:Tomorrow is my exam...wish me luck

Best of luck!
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 35279
384
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Martin Müller wrote:I disagree on this, as the book clearly states:
Introduction,xxiii wrote:If a question has more than one answer [...] we say "choose all that apply".
This question is inconsistent, compared to the other questions in the book / online. Never the less, it is a very minute problem that could just as well be ignored.

That's fair. We should have said
"If a question might have more than one answer...."
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic