Why: I had successfully (sort of) managed to installed Java 1.7 on the snow leopard (This worked for me http://jksha.blogspot.se/2013/09/java-7-and-snow-leopard-osx-106.html) I wanted 1.7 so the latest version of Android would be available to me. Unfortunately even though I got 1.7 installed there were some compatibility issues with the android code. Finally I decided to upgrade
What: I read good reviews about Yosemite and decided to opt for it. Unfortunately I put it off for too long and by the time I actually started with the actual upgrade, El Capitan was out and Yosemite was not available. Ah well. Serves me right
How: I had read on various sites that the ‘installer’ gets downloaded (eventually) in your Applications folder. So before I launched the install process I did the following:
Backed up absolutely cannot afford to loose type of data on an external drive
Backed up the installer dmg on an external drive
Download took quite some time, the dmg is ~6GB! Also I faced ‘error issues’ A quick google told me this was ‘normal’. Just resume download in case it fails and one eventually suceeds!
The actual install went pretty smooth. Took me ~45 mins for the full installation process.
Restarted the machine and I was let down. It was absolutely sluggish. Cmd+Space and the spotlight comes up after ~1 minute! I had a WTF moment, till I realised the OS was getting to know the system and most probably it was creating the indices in the background. An hour or so later it was much much better. It retained all my original files and data. Hooray!
Couple months ago I upgraded my Snow Leopard to Yosemite. Reason for upgrade was using Java 1.7. Like Maneesh, back then I got Java 1.7 installed but somehow applications can't recognize after fooling the OS.
Anyway after the upgrade, I had my Apache/PHP and mod-jk stuff not working. Then I update XCode (apparently missing after upgrade) and mod-jk and reconfigure Apache.
Everything works fine after that.
Probably upgrade to El Capitan later. Not in a hurry.
I had a problem and I'm not sure if it was caused by upgrade. In Eclipse, "sometimes" javac would terminate partially through (when running via Ant via Eclipse). This happened a couple times but never two in a row. Today it started happening every time. When I ran javac in verbose mode, it was an out of resources/heap error. I tried throwing more memory at it to no avail. I then tried switching Ant from Java 7 to Java 8 and it worked. I didn't even realize I had Ant running with Java 7 until now.