• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Paul Clapham
  • Tim Cooke
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • Frank Carver
  • Henry Wong
  • Ron McLeod
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Holloway
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Al Hobbs
  • Piet Souris
  • Himai Minh

Which type of sorting algorithm?

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 63
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Which type of sorting algorithm do you think is easier to implement? heap, shell, cocktail, bucket, or radix sorts?
 
Marshal
Posts: 76395
364
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
None of the above.
 
Bartender
Posts: 10780
71
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Aron Silvester wrote:Which type of sorting algorithm do you think is easier to implement? heap, shell, cocktail, bucket, or radix sorts?


My opinion (from easiest): cocktail, radix, bucket, heap, shell.

That's not to say that easiest is smallest though; simply that it's the easiest to understand. And I don't quite know what it gets you.

And (as you've probably gathered) I like heapSort because it involves heaps, which are extremely useful things to know about on their own.

Winston
 
Aron Silvester
Ranch Hand
Posts: 63
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Winston Gutkowski wrote:

Aron Silvester wrote:Which type of sorting algorithm do you think is easier to implement? heap, shell, cocktail, bucket, or radix sorts?


My opinion (from easiest): cocktail, radix, bucket, heap, shell.

That's not to say that easiest is smallest though; simply that it's the easiest to understand. And I don't quite know what it gets you.

And (as you've probably gathered) I like heapSort because it involves heaps, which are extremely useful things to know about on their own.

Winston



I forgot to put quick sort. Where in your opinion would quick sort be?
 
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender
Posts: 10780
71
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Aron Silvester wrote:I forgot to put quick sort. Where in your opinion would quick sort be?


Last. And again, not because of size, but because quicksort is quite difficult to visualise - at least, I find it so; but maybe I'm just thick.

And, as Campbell hinted, I'm not quite sure where a list like this gets you. You have my opinion, but that's all it is; and it certainly shouldn't be the reason for choosing which sort to use.

Winston
 
Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic