Win a copy of High Performance Python for Data Analytics this week in the Python forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Paul Clapham
  • Ron McLeod
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Tim Cooke
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Tim Holloway
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Jj Roberts
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • salvin francis
  • Frits Walraven
  • Piet Souris

clarification in Oracle Certified Professional Java SE 8 Programmer II Study Guide (Sybex)

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 182
18
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The errata for page 159, for the first row in the table 3.12 is a little bit confusing.It says "Add key to map" . But the key is already in the map right ? So should it just say something like key is updated/associated with Value passed the merge method.Like below


In page 339 , table under the invokeAll description it says, "Executes the given tasks, synchronously returning the results of all tasks as a Collection of Future Object.Here Collection(Interface) is a very generic term which has List,Set,Queue ..etc. But here the invokeAll returns only List.So Collection here can be replaced with List of future objects. (as specified in the method signature and also in the next page).

In page 135 , in the last para above the table it says "luckily there are only seven methods"..but there are eight methods in the table
 
author & internet detective
Posts: 40400
821
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Ramya Subraamanian wrote:The errata for page 159, for the first row in the table 3.12 is a little bit confusing.It says "Add key to map" . But the key is already in the map right ?


That's fair. I changed it to ""Update key's value in map"

Ramya Subraamanian wrote:In page 339 , table under the invokeAll description it says, "Executes the given tasks, synchronously returning the results of all tasks as a Collection of Future Object.Here Collection(Interface) is a very generic term which has List,Set,Queue ..etc. But here the invokeAll returns only List.So Collection here can be replaced with List of future objects. (as specified in the method signature and also in the next page).


That Collection is referring to the parameters that are passed in rather than returned. "take" is intended to convey "take as a parameter". Which is a Collection rather than a List.

Ramya Subraamanian wrote:In page 135 , in the last para above the table it says "luckily there are only seven methods"..but there are eight methods in the table


Confirmed and logged in errata
 
Ramya R Subramanian
Ranch Hand
Posts: 182
18
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:That Collection is referring to the parameters that are passed in rather than returned. "take" is intended to convey "take as a parameter". Which is a Collection rather than a List.


its a bit confusing because it says "returning the results of all tasks as Collection"here..and I don't see a word "take" here. I have a hard copy of the book

Executes the given tasks, synchronously returning the results of all tasks as a Collection of Future objects, in the same order they were in the original collection.
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Posts: 40400
821
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Oh! *in* the table. I was looking under the table. You are correct.
 
With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic