Win a copy of The Little Book of Impediments (e-book only) this week in the Agile and Other Processes forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Java form to MySQL

 
mitchell bat
Ranch Hand
Posts: 91
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey guys, this is abit of a broad question but i'll try to make it as concentrated as possible. What i'm trying to do as a fun little project is to make a form using java and then when all the information is entered into the form and submit is clicked I want it to be stored inside a database. At the moment i've created a database using MySQL and i've created a class within the project which connects from the project to the database and it works fine. But my issue is I can't find any tutorials or anything online that helps me do what I want. Can someone push me in the right direction? I've searched everywhere and I can't find anything.

 
Dave Tolls
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2110
16
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Are you talking about a form in a browser?
 
M Khalid
Ranch Hand
Posts: 46
2
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Mitchell,

You have created Just a Connection class.

Steps to create a working project to Display form which will contain all details which will be submitted to Database and stored,
(Considering you want to create a Web Application using Java/JSP/Servlet and MySQL)
1. HTML Form
2. Data Access Object and POJO (Data Getter/Setter Object)
3. Data Connection Object
4. Processing Page


--------------------------------------  Detail Page -- HTML Page -- UI


----------------------------------------------------------- Data Access Object ---- JAVA --



------------------------------- POJO (Getter/Setter Object for User )-------



---------------------- Processing Page --------------  // If you are using Servlet , there are different ways with JSP

---------------

Hope this helps with your question.

Happy Coding!
 
Dave Tolls
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2110
16
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
M Khalid wrote:
---------------------- Processing Page --------------  // If you are using Servlet , there are different ways with JSP


You would not do any processing in a JSP page.
That would be a poor design choice.
 
mitchell bat
Ranch Hand
Posts: 91
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Are you talking about a form in a browser?


No, i'm talking about having a standalone java form that I have created and when you put all of your information in it sends it to a local database
 
M Khalid
Ranch Hand
Posts: 46
2
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
mitchell bat wrote:
Are you talking about a form in a browser?


No, i'm talking about having a standalone java form that I have created and when you put all of your information in it sends it to a local database


Standalone?

is it Swing/AWT ?
 
M Khalid
Ranch Hand
Posts: 46
2
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Dave Tolls wrote:
M Khalid wrote:
---------------------- Processing Page --------------  // If you are using Servlet , there are different ways with JSP


You would not do any processing in a JSP page.
That would be a poor design choice.


No, processing is with Servlet.
I mean to say there was, there are different ways to do processing in JSP aswell.
 
mitchell bat
Ranch Hand
Posts: 91
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yes swing /AWT
 
Dave Tolls
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2110
16
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
M Khalid wrote:
I mean to say there was, there are different ways to do processing in JSP aswell.


All I was pointing out is that those ways of processing in a JSP would be bad design.
We see a lot of code in the JSP/Servlet forums where people stick code in a JSP page that should be handled by a servlet.  People submitting forms to a JSP, for example.
That would be an incorrect use of a JSP.

Your example was fine, in that a servlet is handling the processing.
 
Dave Tolls
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2110
16
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
mitchell bat wrote:Yes swing /AWT


OK, using Swing you would have an ActionListener listening on a Save button.

This listener will pull together the relevant data from the form as a model object (see M Khalid's example above) and submit (in a SwingWorker thread) to a DAO (again, see above) which will handle the saving.
 
M Khalid
Ranch Hand
Posts: 46
2
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
 
M Khalid
Ranch Hand
Posts: 46
2
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Dave Tolls wrote:
M Khalid wrote:
I mean to say there was, there are different ways to do processing in JSP aswell.


All I was pointing out is that those ways of processing in a JSP would be bad design.
We see a lot of code in the JSP/Servlet forums where people stick code in a JSP page that should be handled by a servlet.  People submitting forms to a JSP, for example.
That would be an incorrect use of a JSP.

Your example was fine, in that a servlet is handling the processing.


Thanks! , yes exactly using JSP for processing is a bad idea completely.
 
Dave Tolls
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2110
16
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Quick comment on that Swing code.
The call to register (and probably validate) should be done by a Worker, and the actual DB code should be a DAO.
Doing it without the SwingWorker and you run the risk of the GUI locking up while the DB code is executed.

In fact, those ones (IMO) would be in a controller style of object that would be listening on the GUI class the ActionListener sits in.
But that's something that can be done as a later refinement depending on where you are in the learning curve.
 
M Khalid
Ranch Hand
Posts: 46
2
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Dave Tolls wrote:Quick comment on that Swing code.
The call to register (and probably validate) should be done by a Worker, and the actual DB code should be a DAO.
Doing it without the SwingWorker and you run the risk of the GUI locking up while the DB code is executed.

In fact, those ones (IMO) would be in a controller style of object that would be listening on the GUI class the ActionListener sits in.
But that's something that can be done as a later refinement depending on where you are in the learning curve.


Yes. Agreed.
 
mitchell bat
Ranch Hand
Posts: 91
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have a question about the code you posted. Lets say I have 1 database but 4 tables to hold different pieces of information does that mean I need 4 different try and catch blocks?

Also another question regarding the following code



User_details being the table? and name, password, email and area is that the column names?


 
mitchell bat
Ranch Hand
Posts: 91
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Another thing I just remembered is I want to have a radio buttons and let's say that I have 2 radio buttons in my form. Male and female. What would be the process of storing the radio button selected inside the database aswell?
 
Dave Tolls
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2110
16
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Well, first off you ought to use a PreparedStatement.
If you don't understand what that is then you probably need to go through the JDBC tutorial over at Oracle, specifically this bit.

As suggested earlier, you also ought to have a model class that represents the data you want to save.

How you save the radio buttons is up to you.
They could simply be stored a 'M' or 'F'.
 
M Khalid
Ranch Hand
Posts: 46
2
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
mitchell bat wrote:I have a question about the code you posted. Lets say I have 1 database but 4 tables to hold different pieces of information does that mean I need 4 different try and catch blocks?

Also another question regarding the following code



User_details being the table? and name, password, email and area is that the column names?




It depends, you can update all 4 tables in one try-catch block using different Statement.
Refer my Previous Code w.r.t Web Application, there you can see i have used SELECT and INSERT both in try-catch block.

user_details : Database Table
Name,Password,Email,Address : user_details Table Columns
name, password, email and area : Values from Form

Storing Male or Female can be done by various ways,
Single column with M/F values or Male/Female in DB  and
by process do you mean codes?
 
M Khalid
Ranch Hand
Posts: 46
2
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yes, Mitchell
you should use PreparedStatement as it is more efficient and useful for DB Queries.
Refer to my previous Post where i used PreparedStatement.
 
mitchell bat
Ranch Hand
Posts: 91
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Cheers guys, this should give me plenty of information to work through!
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic