Win a copy of The Little Book of Impediments (e-book only) this week in the Agile and Other Processes forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Mala Gupta: OCA Java SE 8 Programmer I

 
Liutauras Vilda
Bartender
Pie
Posts: 2792
112
BSD VI Editor
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Mala,

Congratulations once again with the book release. By the way, your first book were great, I think.

My situation is, that I read couple of books about Java 7 certification some good time ago, one of those were yours, but I never went to sit an exam OCAJP 7. Now is about the time that OCAJP 7 will go out of its life, sooner or later, and no longer actually makes much sense to sit this exam version.

1. My question is, is your new book covers lets say pretty much similar content (as in Java 7 book) lets assume from page 1 to 300, and later from 301 to 500 there is some new material specifically about Java 8, OR each chapter is basically overriden with absolutely new content adapted for Java 8?

In such case I would need to read all book carefully again, which I don't mind at all, BUT, I do have bought exam voucher already, and I have basically only 4 months to get grasp with Java 8 content, which I don't have much experience with.

2. Could you please give me your insight, how significantly the content of the exams differ (7 vs 8)?

Thankful for an answer.
 
Mala Gupta
Author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 363
11
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Liutauras Vilda wrote:Hi Mala,

Congratulations once again with the book release. By the way, your first book were great, I think.


Thanks for your kind words and apreciation, Liutauras.


Liutauras Vilda wrote:My situation is, that I read couple of books about Java 7 certification some good time ago, one of those were yours, but I never went to sit an exam OCAJP 7. Now is about the time that OCAJP 7 will go out of its life, sooner or later, and no longer actually makes much sense to sit this exam version.

1. My question is, is your new book covers lets say pretty much similar content (as in Java 7 book) lets assume from page 1 to 300, and later from 301 to 500 there is some new material specifically about Java 8, OR each chapter is basically overriden with absolutely new content adapted for Java 8?

In such case I would need to read all book carefully again, which I don't mind at all, BUT, I do have bought exam voucher already, and I have basically only 4 months to get grasp with Java 8 content, which I don't have much experience with.

2. Could you please give me your insight, how significantly the content of the exams differ (7 vs 8)?



At present, the OCAJP 7 (70 questions/ 120 minutes/ 63%) and OCAJP8 (77 questions/ 150 minutes/ 65%) exams do not differ *a lot* in terms of the topics that they cover, their difficulty level or the types of questions that they include.

At the time of writing my OCAJP 7 book, the exam included 90 questions and a passing score of 77%. After reducing the count of questions in OCAJP7/8, Oracle has reduced the number of 'only text' based questions, which were comparatively easier to answer. Now both these exams include code based questions. You'll get to answer just 0-3 questions that don't include code.

OCAJP8 exam includes all the exam objectives of OCAJP7 and adds to it a few Java 8 topics. It includes introduction to functional style programming using lambdas, few classes from Java 8 Date/ Time API and wrapper classes (which were earlier included in OCP JP 7). It also includes language changes to interfaces (default and static methods).

In my OCAJP8 book, I have added the new Java 8 contents and reorganized most of the chapters, as per the new exam objectives. Even though Oracle has used the OCAJP7 exam objectives, it has reorganized a few of them. A few quick examples of changes with the exam objectives from OCA 7 to OCA 8:

OCA 8: Describe the advantages of Exception handling
OCA 7: Describe what Exceptions are used for in Java

OCA 8: Create and invoke a method that throws an exception
OCA 7: Invoke a method that throws an exception

OCA 8: Create if and if/else and ternary constructs
OCA 7: Create if and if/else constructs

The introduction chapter in my book (chapter 0) compares the exam objectives of OCA 7 and OCA 8. It also includes a list of the exam objectives and their sub-objectives and the chapters/ sections that cover them.


With much respect,
Mala

 
Liutauras Vilda
Bartender
Pie
Posts: 2792
112
BSD VI Editor
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks Mala for a rich answer. I hope I'll be fine with the exam after read the book and do some practice within those 4 months.
 
Mala Gupta
Author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 363
11
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Liutauras Vilda wrote:Thanks Mala for a rich answer. I hope I'll be fine with the exam after read the book and do some practice within those 4 months.


Thanks for the cow!

Good Luck to you for the exam.

With much respect,
Mala
 
Ahmed Ibrahim
Greenhorn
Posts: 12
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Liutauras Vilda wrote:
In such case I would need to read all book carefully again, which I don't mind at all, BUT, I do have bought exam voucher already, and I have basically only 4 months to get grasp with Java 8 content, which I don't have much experience with.


Hi Liutauras, my case is kind of similar to your case, i'm planning to study for OCAJP 8 but I already have bought the previous book of "Mala Gupta" OCAJP 7 certification study guide, I just did read the first 2 chapters from it and I thought that when I complete the whole book then i read the new OCAJP 8 topics. BUT As the new book has been reorganized in most chapters and has new topics of Java 8 as per the new exam objectives, I think it is better for me to start again from the new Mala's book.
 
Liutauras Vilda
Bartender
Pie
Posts: 2792
112
BSD VI Editor
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ahmed Ibrahim wrote:Hi Liutauras, my case is kind of similar to your case, i'm planning to study for OCAJP 8 but I already have bought the previous book of "Mala Gupta" OCAJP 7 certification study guide, I just did read the first 2 chapters from it and I thought that when I complete the whole book then i read the new OCAJP 8 topics. BUT As the new book has been reorganized in most chapters and has new topics of Java 8 as per the new exam objectives, I think it is better for me to start again from the new Mala's book.

If the timeline permits, I see nothing wrong if you read OCAJP 7 book first, and once you own OCAJP 8 - read that one. Even tho OCAJP 8 book includes all exam objectives of OCAJP 7 exam + new material, reading both books could help you have a better grasp of topics and get more confidence. Since you own OCAJP 7 book already, I'd say - the more you read - better.

Pay attention what Mala said:
Mala Gupta wrote:In my OCAJP8 book, I have added the new Java 8 contents and reorganized most of the chapters, as per the new exam objectives.

Having in mind that, what's related to OCAJP 7 objectives, you could expect to see explanation of topics from slightly different angle.

For instance:
Mala Gupta wrote:OCA 8: Describe the advantages of Exception handling
OCA 7: Describe what Exceptions are used for in Java

Knowing and being able to express yourself in both ways is an advantage.

Good luck on exam Ahmed.
 
Ahmed Ibrahim
Greenhorn
Posts: 12
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Liutauras Vilda wrote:

Pay attention what Mala said:
Mala Gupta wrote:In my OCAJP8 book, I have added the new Java 8 contents and reorganized most of the chapters, as per the new exam objectives.

Having in mind that, what's related to OCAJP 7 objectives, you could expect to see explanation of topics from slightly different angle.

For instance:
Mala Gupta wrote:OCA 8: Describe the advantages of Exception handling
OCA 7: Describe what Exceptions are used for in Java

Knowing and being able to express yourself in both ways is an advantage.

I agree with you Liutauras.


Liutauras Vilda wrote:
Good luck on exam Ahmed.

Thank you Liutauras. Good luck to you also on the exam.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic