• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

A 'Software Testing' equivalent of this site.  RSS feed

 
Abhay Bhatt
Ranch Hand
Posts: 40
2
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I came at Javaranch simply because it is very friendly for Java beginners like me. Also, I can peacefully discuss things here, which I can't at Stack..BS..whatever. It is not so much bounded by a tons of rules and regulations, and there is much more freedom regarding the way I can ask my query.

Unfortunately, I am not able to find any 'Software Testing' equivalent of this site. I once posted my query at StackExchange for 'Software Testing' but didn't received much response and my query was closed down as being too broad.

I have 3.5 years of experience in Software Testing, and I have many questions regarding the same, which I encountered during my job. I have asked few of them at many places, to many experts on internet, but didn't received any response.

Its time for 'TestRanch' guys. This is severely needed my friends - not just to me, but alos to many Testing greenhorns as well as Experienced Testers, throughout the world.
 
Paul Clapham
Sheriff
Posts: 22215
38
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I thoroughly agree with your interest in asking questions about testing. And I know we have people here who are greatly interested in answering such questions, or indeed in discussing them. But two things:

1. Questions about the Ranch itself... we've got a "Ranch Office" forum for asking those questions. So I'll move this question there.

2. We actually do already have a Testing forum. So go ahead, let the discussion begin!

(This suggests to me that it isn't necessarily easy for people to find the right forum here. We've looked at that aspect of usability before but maybe we should review it.)
 
Abhay Bhatt
Ranch Hand
Posts: 40
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Paul Clapham wrote:

(This suggests to me that it isn't necessarily easy for people to find the right forum here. We've looked at that aspect of usability before but maybe we should review it.)


If you may, I can suggest you one thing right away. I think the link to 'All Forums' at the left hand side, should be made prominent and stand out(may be put up in a different position altogether, for example at the top). Because when I reflect upon why I didn't posted on the right forum, it was because I didn't even know that these many forums existed here, and thats because intuitively, I thought that all forums which were there, were displayed at the left. So, many links at the left are straight away pointing to a single forum. Intermixed with them, is a link which points not to a single forum, but to links to all forums! I think thats not right.
 
Abhay Bhatt
Ranch Hand
Posts: 40
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Abhay Bhatt wrote:
Paul Clapham wrote:

(This suggests to me that it isn't necessarily easy for people to find the right forum here. We've looked at that aspect of usability before but maybe we should review it.)


If you may, I can suggest you one thing right away. I think the link to 'All Forums' at the left hand side, should be made prominent and stand out(may be put up in a different position altogether, for example at the top). Because when I reflect upon why I didn't posted on the right forum, it was because I didn't even know that these many forums existed here, and thats because intuitively, I thought that all forums which were there, were displayed at the left. So, many links at the left are straight away pointing to a single forum. Intermixed with them, is a link which points not to a single forum, but to links to all forums! I think thats not right.


Or you can remove the links to other forum categories/single forums altogether, and put up a single link called 'Other Forums' to get an access to any other forum.
 
Abhay Bhatt
Ranch Hand
Posts: 40
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Paul Clapham wrote:

2. We actually do already have a Testing forum. So go ahead, let the discussion begin!


I think that making a separate 'Testing' site like 'TestRanch' is a better idea/option than to have a Testing forum here. Because you see, any tester out there, will have no idea that there could be a Testing forum inside a 'Programming' community forum website. This is counter intuitive, to add on. Having a separate site makes more sense and will definitely have more appeal.
 
Tim Cooke
Marshal
Posts: 3715
198
Clojure IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi there.

CodeRanch is about all the things that make up good quality Software Engineering, which most certainly does include testing. If we were to start a new "TestRanch" forum as you suggest, and I'm almost certain we will not, it would be to imply that software testing has nothing to do with code, which is most certainly untrue.

How do you record your test cases so that they can be run automatically again and again for regression? With code.
How do you test a system, or parts of a system, that has no User Interface? With code.
How do you develop systems that automate the testing of user interfaces? With code.

While I understand there are aspects of Software Testing that do not involve any/much code it is a narrow category and is never too far away from actually dealing with some code.

CodeRanch is a large and active community and I believe the Testing forum could be the perfect place for you to pose your questions and share your knowledge. Why not encourage your tester colleagues and peers to use that forum as a knowledge sharing platform too?

If you really do believe that a separate forum dedicated to Software Testing is the very thing the internet needs then why not start one yourself and craft it into whatever you wish, although I discourage calling it TestRanch because the Trailboss might not like it.
 
Abhay Bhatt
Ranch Hand
Posts: 40
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Tim Cooke wrote:

CodeRanch is about all the things that make up good quality Software Engineering, which most certainly does include testing. If we were to start a new "TestRanch" forum as you suggest, and I'm almost certain we will not, it would be to imply that software testing has nothing to do with code, which is most certainly untrue.



I got your point, and you are 100% right, albeit only technically. You see, when a random guy, while surfing the net, encounters the word 'code' and he sees a forum/community, he would almost certainly relate it to the developer field/career.

Regarding starting a forum myself - I have no idea about that, and its not that big, a priority for me. I was just suggesting.
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 36838
481
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Also, we are likely to focus more on automated testing. (Unless you and a bunch of buddies start a bunch of threads on manual testing of course.) There's other forums like the SQAone that focus completely on testing and will have more granular topics.  And the first whole page of forums there is about automated testing too!
 
It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!