• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

How to utilize the internet to the fullest.  RSS feed

 
Denzi Dobronravov
Greenhorn
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Everyone :),

Denzi00 here,

I am new to this forum and just have some general questions.

I have been trying to learn java for half a year now trough the web on and off. I can't design anyting major. All i can do is create a automatic pokemon game in the main method. :p (I know i can do more then that actually i just feel like i lack the experience).
I've tried text based games for a while never seem to quite finish them cause i am still shortcoming on class comminication knowlodge but i can read code quite wel IMO.
I've decided to pick up head first java and it directed me to here. They site is a bit overwelming at first.(not that i actually tried much). I also am not quick to ask questions especially on forums.
I guess this was a good start to just introduce meself <(myself IK :p). Anyway here's the question: How do i like utilize website's like these to the fullest? (I already feel like that question was more usefull in some way then the answers that im going to get haha).
What is your way of utilizing the internet to the fullest? do you read source code buy more books watch videos? Please let me know. Also they mentioned a website in the book for source code. i think it was wickedlysmart.com , but could someone correct me if i am wrong? thanks
(I can't really find which site in the book was mentioned anymore.)

excuse me for the many typo's. if they are actually in the text. :p

Looking forward to see reply's.

enjoy Happy coding :),

Denzi00
 
Knute Snortum
Sheriff
Posts: 4288
127
Chrome Eclipse IDE Java Postgres Database VI Editor
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome to the Ranch, Denzi00.

I think the forum you will get the most out of for now is the Beginning Java forum.  (I've moved this post there.)  I would look over the things people post there and see if any of them answer questions you might have.  We have an FAQ that you can look over.

Head First Java is a good book to start with for a beginner.  Post any questions you have to the Beginning Java forum and you will get helpful answers.

Reading the source code of experienced programmers can be very enlightening, but also sometimes confusing at first.  Don't try to understand every detail but look at the way a good coder organizes their code.  https://github.com is a good place to find all sorts of code examples, but beware that the experience of the programmers who post there can vary greatly.

Google is your friend when you have an idea of what you're looking for.  The full Java API is online at https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ is a great next place to start working.  Find the Getting Started link and start there.
 
Denzi Dobronravov
Greenhorn
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Knute Snortum wrote:Welcome to the Ranch, Denzi00.

I think the forum you will get the most out of for now is the Beginning Java forum.  (I've moved this post there.)  I would look over the things people post there and see if any of them answer questions you might have.  We have an FAQ that you can look over.

Head First Java is a good book to start with for a beginner.  Post any questions you have to the Beginning Java forum and you will get helpful answers.

Reading the source code of experienced programmers can be very enlightening, but also sometimes confusing at first.  Don't try to understand every detail but look at the way a good coder organizes their code.  https://github.com is a good place to find all sorts of code examples, but beware that the experience of the programmers who post there can vary greatly.

Google is your friend when you have an idea of what you're looking for.  The full Java API is online at https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ is a great next place to start working.  Find the Getting Started link and start there.



Thanks for your reply Knute Snortum, (Also i didn't realize they would use my actual name instead of the user name :p)

Untill now i haven't done much but i will ask my questions when i feel like i need help and if i can try to help others cause it activates a diffrent part of the brain aswell .

The book until now is fun and feels to work better then the java tutorials. I already did the java tutorials until the Inner classes part.
Then again to start over from the beginning with the book isn't so much fun cause i understand the concepts of the first 5 chapters.:p

I also will check out git the FAQ etc.

Thanks for the information



 
praveen kumaar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 461
22
Android Chrome Eclipse IDE Google App Engine Java Notepad Oracle Ubuntu Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Patrick wrote:excuse me for the many typo's. if they are actually in the text.

You can preview your post before hitting the submit button.
or else,next time, it's easy to see you saying-excuse me for the so many syntax error
Anyway,welcome again!

Praveen
 
Knute Snortum
Sheriff
Posts: 4288
127
Chrome Eclipse IDE Java Postgres Database VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
i didn't realize they would use my actual name instead of the user name

That's the policy here: real names or pseudonyms, but they have to be "real sounding".  If you want to change you name to a real sounding pseudonym, you can request a name change.
 
Denzi Dobronravov
Greenhorn
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
praveen kumaar wrote:
Patrick wrote:excuse me for the many typo's. if they are actually in the text.

You can preview your post before hitting the submit button.
or else,next time, it's easy to see you saying-excuse me for the so many syntax error
Anyway,welcome again!

Praveen


Haha,

I've been kinda lazy to check me grammer. it should be fine overal i think. :p
 
Denzi Dobronravov
Greenhorn
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Knute Snortum wrote:
i didn't realize they would use my actual name instead of the user name

That's the policy here: real names or pseudonyms, but they have to be "real sounding".  If you want to change you name to a real sounding pseudonym, you can request a name change.



I will check it out then prefer allias over a real name.
 
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Sheriff
Posts: 16060
88
Android IntelliJ IDE Java Scala Spring
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome to the Ranch.

One important thing when you want to learn programming is practice: write code yourself. Learn step by step, don't try to learn too much at once, because it will be overwhelming and frustrating. Concentrate on one thing at a time, learn a bit of theory, and then write small programs using the specific feature you are learning to find out exactly how it works. It's like learning how to ride a bicycle or learning how to swim: you cannot learn those things by just reading about them in a book, you have to actually do them yourself.

Ofcourse the forums here are great to ask questions, if your code doesn't seem to work and if you don't understand something - ask a question on the forum and people will generally quickly give you useful hints.

When you have a program that doesn't work, for example you get an error when you try to compile or run it, then include the source code and the exact error message you get in your question in the forum - that will make it easier for people to help you with it.
 
Denzi Dobronravov
Greenhorn
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jesper de Jong wrote:Welcome to the Ranch.

One important thing when you want to learn programming is practice: write code yourself. Learn step by step, don't try to learn too much at once, because it will be overwhelming and frustrating. Concentrate on one thing at a time, learn a bit of theory, and then write small programs using the specific feature you are learning to find out exactly how it works. It's like learning how to ride a bicycle or learning how to swim: you cannot learn those things by just reading about them in a book, you have to actually do them yourself.

Ofcourse the forums here are great to ask questions, if your code doesn't seem to work and if you don't understand something - ask a question on the forum and people will generally quickly give you useful hints.

When you have a program that doesn't work, for example you get an error when you try to compile or run it, then include the source code and the exact error message you get in your question in the forum - that will make it easier for people to help you with it.



The biggest problem i am facing so far is often i don't know what to code, or how to code it. Well i ever did a pokemon game but it was all in the main method and that is not how OOP works :p. i will try to what you said to create small programs and focus on what i learned. Never really thought of that. I will do it.

I am not that quick to ask questions though usually i try myself first to figure it out.

Thanks for your advice aswell,

It is already motivating to see so many people replying.
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 56599
172
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
What about modelling a bank? Write classes representing the Bank, the Customers, the Accounts, etc. Consider what data each might record, and what actions each might perform.
 
Denzi Dobronravov
Greenhorn
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Campbell Ritchie wrote:What about modelling a bank? Write classes representing the Bank, the Customers, the Accounts, etc. Consider what data each might record, and what actions each might perform.



Seems like a good idea, but it doesn't seem very exciting to me at the moment. I also am not sure if i know how to do it. Towards the other end i might will give it a shot.
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 56599
172
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Denzi Dobronravov wrote:. . . I also am not sure if i know how to do it. . . .
In that case, it is worth trying. Start by writing down on paper what banks do, and what sort of things you will need to model. But make it simple at this stage.
 
It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!