• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Paul Clapham
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Junilu Lacar
  • Henry Wong
Sheriffs:
  • Ron McLeod
  • Devaka Cooray
  • Tim Cooke
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • salvin francis
  • fred rosenberger

How long would it take to learn Java if i spend full time everyday ?

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'm new to java. but I have learned to code for three years but didn't code continuously. and also done with my software engineering degree but not much experience in coding I need to be a java developer have to get a job sooner as java Developer. how long will it take if I give full effort on learning java daily? need to be professional java developer give me some advice and ways to learn etc.
thank you
 
author & internet detective
Posts: 39997
807
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
It varies by person; this isn't something I can answer. It depends on your background, learning speed and target.

The first step is to pick a book. Make sure you write lots of code. Try all the examples and make your own.

Also, think about the question of why should an employer hire you without experience. People typically use pet projects/volunteer projects/sharing code on github/certifications to get around this.
 
Marshal
Posts: 15638
264
Mac Android IntelliJ IDE Eclipse IDE Spring Debian Java Ubuntu Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I got my first job as a Java programmer having zero experience in Java but a fresh SCJ2P feather on my hat. This was way back in 2000, before I even signed up on JavaRanch, as this place was known back then. I did have a little over ten years of programming experience in other languages by that time so that was probably a big factor in getting me in the door as well. I can't say your chances are good if you don't have any programming experience at all, unless you're willing to take an entry-level position. Even with an entry-level position, you're still going to need to demonstrate a good grasp of programming and Java concepts when you go for the interview and I really don't think you can do that without some intensive practice.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 570
3
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Well, it depends how much "input" you can receive and how much "output" you can apply...
 
basith ali kamil
Greenhorn
Posts: 9
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:It varies by person; this isn't something I can answer. It depends on your background, learning speed and target.

The first step is to pick a book. Make sure you write lots of code. Try all the examples and make your own.

Also, think about the question of why should an employer hire you without experience. People typically use pet projects/volunteer projects/sharing code on github/certifications to get around this.



yeah as you said  I'm learning the book called "HeadFirst Java" by now I have read 100 pages but it took me around 3 days. I feel good after going through every exercise but I think it will take time to finish this book 😉. thanks a lot for guiding me again. I'm new to  "JavaRanch" just 5 days still it's SO satisfying.
 
basith ali kamil
Greenhorn
Posts: 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Junilu Lacar wrote:I got my first job as a Java programmer having zero experience in Java but a fresh SCJ2P feather on my hat. This was way back in 2000, before I even signed up on JavaRanch, as this place was known back then. I did have a little over ten years of programming experience in other languages by that time so that was probably a big factor in getting me in the door as well. I can't say your chances are good if you don't have any programming experience at all, unless you're willing to take an entry-level position. Even with an entry-level position, you're still going to need to demonstrate a good grasp of programming and Java concepts when you go for the interview and I really don't think you can do that without some intensive practice.



yeah, brother even for entry level job I have to be some my own experience. thanks, these thinks motivates me to go forward I will complete some books ASAP then will look for a job
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Posts: 39997
807
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Remember that the Head First Java book uses an old version of Java. It's still a great first book, but make sure you supplement it with another to learn the newer syntax features.
 
Author
Posts: 133
10
Android Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:It varies by person; this isn't something I can answer. It depends on your background, learning speed and target.

The first step is to pick a book. Make sure you write lots of code. Try all the examples and make your own.

Also, think about the question of why should an employer hire you without experience. People typically use pet projects/volunteer projects/sharing code on github/certifications to get around this.



I agree with Jeanne. The advice that I always give is (1) Do as much coding as you can, and (2) Attend meetings of Java developers near where you live.
The idea here is that practicing coding is the best way (maybe the only way) to learn coding. Also, attending meetings makes you aware of the issues that developers face. You may not understand what the developers are talking about, but you always learn something. Sometimes, you learn what you should know but don't know, and that's a good thing.
 
basith ali kamil
Greenhorn
Posts: 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:Remember that the Head First Java book uses an old version of Java. It's still a great first book, but make sure you supplement it with another to learn the newer syntax features.



oh, what book will you suggest me to read?
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 16
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

basith ali kamil wrote:

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:Remember that the Head First Java book uses an old version of Java. It's still a great first book, but make sure you supplement it with another to learn the newer syntax features.



oh, what book will you suggest me to read?



I would start aiming for books that cover at least Java 8 since 9 is just about to come out. If the Head Start book is the 2nd edition one from 2005, then yeah, that looks to be Java 5. I have a soft spot for books by Murach since they tend to take a rather application driven approach to things so you start small and then add on as you go and end up with an app at the end. One thing to consider, Java does a lot of things so you'll want to figure out what you want to focus on(web, mobile, etc), and then go from there. Go through something like Murach's Beginning Java with Eclipse as Eclipse is a rather well known IDE that I use to code Java with at work. I've used different flavors of it for a number of languages, but bygones. You might want to look into learning Java Spring after that. Again, it is vastly up to you based on what direction you pick.
 
Sheriff
Posts: 7108
184
Eclipse IDE Postgres Database VI Editor Chrome Java Ubuntu
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Java in a Nutshell (http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920030775.do) is a good, scholarly look at the language.  It includes Java 8.
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 14
Mac Eclipse IDE Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If you start now, and you spend all day every day on it, you will never be done learning Java.
You'll get good at it of course, and some areas you'll master, but it is a vast, vast subject with more & more APIs appearing daily. You will have embarked upon an adventure that will never end, as long as you do not give up. It's kinda like if you'd asked "If I spend all day every day learning Physics, how long will it take to learn everything?" - the boundary shifts as you approach it, and if you're very good, you get to expand the boundary yourself.
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
It depends on many factors.
What does it mean 'to know Java'?
What is your level/do you have an education in CS?
Do you know some other programming language?

If you follow a set schedule, observe the right balance of theory and practice, and practice daily for at least 1-3 hours, not be afraid to ask questions, it is quite possible to learn Java to the level that will allow you to find your first job in 6-12 months. It is in short. More detailed information (detailed learning path, graphics, and research data) you could find in my latest article https://codegym.cc/groups/posts/how-long-does-it-take-to-learn-java.

To infinity and beyond!
 
Marshal
Posts: 69495
277
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome to the Ranch

Why do you call people who already know another language “Pro”s? How do you know they understand OO programming, for example, as a Java® “Pro” should? How did you assess people's competence? How do you what the correlation si between finding a job and competence? Did you get that paper peer reviewed and present it anywhere?
 
Junilu Lacar
Marshal
Posts: 15638
264
Mac Android IntelliJ IDE Eclipse IDE Spring Debian Java Ubuntu Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Alisa Korzh wrote:More detailed information (detailed learning path, graphics, and research data) you could find in my latest article https://codegym.cc/groups/posts/how-long-does-it-take-to-learn-java.


@Alisa: Welcome to the Ranch!

Interesting article - lots of things we can talk about. I agree with Campbell on the "Pro" label - it seems a bit arbitrary to say that a "Pro" is someone who knows more than one programming language. I learned Pascal and BASIC at the same time when I learned how to program, that certainly didn't make me a "pro" in my mind. Probably better to use a different term. Also, using "Pro" and "Manual Tester" like you did at one point in the article... well, that's just a strange juxtaposition.
 
Squanch that. And squanch this tiny ad:
Devious Experiments for a Truly Passive Greenhouse!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulwheaton/greenhouse-1
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic