Win a copy of Mastering Non-Functional Requirements this week in the Design forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Can't telnet to localhost with putty  RSS feed

 
Ilya Zhavoronkov
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello!
I have tomcat 8.5.15 installed on windows 10.
With default windows telnet I can simply connect to localhost via telnet.
But putty crashes on trying to do the same thing.
Any suggestions?
 
Ron McLeod
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 1486
210
Android Angular Framework Eclipse IDE Java Linux MySQL Database Redhat TypeScript
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
When you say crashes, do you mean PuTTy closes immeadiately after making a connection?
 
Ron McLeod
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 1486
210
Android Angular Framework Eclipse IDE Java Linux MySQL Database Redhat TypeScript
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
...and welcome to the Ranch 
 
Ilya Zhavoronkov
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ron McLeod wrote:When you say crashes, do you mean PuTTy closes immeadiately after making a connection?


correct
 
Tim Holloway
Bartender
Posts: 18605
68
Android Eclipse IDE Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
And when you say "telnet", do you mean actual telnet or do you mean ssh?

Because they are 2 very different protocols. The telnet protocol is plain text, ssh is encrypted. I've never done telnet with PuTTY, only ssh.
 
Ron McLeod
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 1486
210
Android Angular Framework Eclipse IDE Java Linux MySQL Database Redhat TypeScript
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maybe the server you connecting is by-chance sending some character sequences which PuTTy sees as a TELNET protocol error and closes the session.

Try using a connection type of Raw instead of Telnet and see if it stays connected.
 
Ilya Zhavoronkov
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ron McLeod wrote:Maybe the server you connecting is by-chance sending some character sequences which PuTTy sees as a TELNET protocol error and closes the session.

Try using a connection type of Raw instead of Telnet and see if it stays connected.


RAW helped, thanks!
 
Ilya Zhavoronkov
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Tim Holloway wrote:And when you say "telnet", do you mean actual telnet or do you mean ssh?

Because they are 2 very different protocols. The telnet protocol is plain text, ssh is encrypted. I've never done telnet with PuTTY, only ssh.


both shh and telnet doesn't work for unknown reason
 
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!