• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Passed OCA 8 with 78%

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
1
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi there,

Firstly, I'd like to thanks everyone here provides a lot of useful study resources and so many motivate experiences which really encouraged me during my preparation.

It is not a good mark but I am really happy about it, cause actually I failed at the first time last November. I have very little experience in Java (only one semester academic learning in college one year ago). Before my first test, I read the OCA Study Guide by Jeanne Boyarsky and Scott Selikoff twice, which is good enough for me to sort out all the basic knowledge. I also bought the Enthuware mock test, but I didn't have enough time to finish it. I managed to finish most of the mock tests but I didn't review them carefully. So at that time, I only got 58% and I felt so depressed.

This time, I took almost one month to prepare my second try, 7 hours a day. Basically I focused on the Enthuware, did the Objective-wise tests first, then finished the practice tests and the standard tests. I went through all the questions and read the explanations carefully. Even I know I still have lacks in some concepts and knowledge but I fell I can pass the test this time.

My final mark is pretty close to my mock test results (a little bit higher than mock test mark).

Basic on my experience, my advice is not only do the mock tests, but also make sure to be clear about each question (go back to read the book if you still don't understand that part).

My next goal will be the OCP definitely. Before that, I'd like to grab some Belgian beer to relax    

 
Bartender
Posts: 1868
81
Android IntelliJ IDE MySQL Database Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Well that great to hear. If you feel up for it then add you can add you name and story to the Wall of Fame.

This is not a product endorsement, but I have heard that the products from http://www.pearsonitcertification.com/ do help people out and they have a product for the OCP exam which you plan on taking next. I have not use their products so I cannot say how good they are. That being said, any of their individual Java products cost less then the cost of the exam.
 
jamie Jzhang
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Pete Letkeman wrote:Well that great to hear. If you feel up for it then add you can add you name and story to the Wall of Fame.

This is not a product endorsement, but I have heard that the products from http://www.pearsonitcertification.com/ do help people out and they have a product for the OCP exam which you plan on taking next. I have not use their products so I cannot say how good they are. That being said, any of their individual Java products cost less then the cost of the exam.



Thank you for your recommendation, I will check it out.
 
Sheriff
Posts: 11604
178
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi jamie,

Congratulations champion! Great achievement Now it's time to relax a bit and have a (well-deserved) (or 2 or 3). And if you want to spoil yourself have a Belgian beer, our beers are the best of the world

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Other ranchers will definitely benefit! Have a cow!

Don't forget to add your name to the OcajpWallOfFame!

Kind regards,
Roel
 
author & internet detective
Posts: 41855
904
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congrats Jamie!

Remember that the OCP is a lot harder than the OCA so you'll want to allow more time to study for it.
 
jamie Jzhang
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Roel De Nijs wrote:Hi jamie,

Congratulations champion! Great achievement Now it's time to relax a bit and have a (well-deserved) (or 2 or 3). And if you want to spoil yourself have a Belgian beer, our beers are the best of the world

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Other ranchers will definitely benefit! Have a cow!

Don't forget to add your name to the OcajpWallOfFame!

Kind regards,
Roel



Thank you Roel, Belgian beer is my favorite! I have added to the OcpjpWallOfFame.
 
jamie Jzhang
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:Congrats Jamie!

Remember that the OCP is a lot harder than the OCA so you'll want to allow more time to study for it.



Thank you Jeanne, your book really helps me a lot! Thanks for your advice, I will work harder for the OCP
 
Enthuware Software Support
Posts: 4798
52
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulations, Jamie!
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic