Register / Login
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Stephan van Hulst
Recipe of the Week: Bear's "Breakfast" Casserole
posted 2 years ago
Bear's "Breakfast" Casserole
I call this my "breakfast" casserole because it's made with what are traditionally considered, at least here in the U.S., breakfast foods. But we eat it for dinner.
1 lb (453g) bulk pork sausage
1.2 oz (30g) all-purpose flour
2 c (470ml) whole milk or half-and-half
black pepper to taste
1. Break up sausage into a skillet or Dutch oven.
2. Cook until the meat is crumbled and browned all the way through.
3. Add half of the flour and cook until dissolved into the meat. Add remaining flour and stir, cooking for another minute.
4. Stir in the milk. Cook, whisking frequently, until the gravy is very thick and bubbly. Add more milk later if it needs thinning.
5. Season generously with lots of freshly ground black pepper.
1 recipe Bear's Southern Gravy with Sausage (above)
9 hash brown patties, or home-made hash browns
6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese blend
1. Make sausage gravy according to recipe, spread in bottom of 13x9 (33cm x 23cm) casserole dish.
2. Fry or bake potato patties until browed (about 4 minutes per side). Place in a single layer in casserole atop the gravy. You can make your own hash browns from potatoes if you wish.
3. Sprinkle chopped cooked bacon over patties.
4. Whisk eggs until combined, pour over casserole.
5. Bake in 350ºF (177ºC) oven for 20 minutes.
7. Top with cheese. Bake for an additional 20 minutes.
Serve with biscuits (scones for those outside of U.S.)
Asking smart questions
Books by Bear
First, you drop a couch from the plane, THEN you surf it. Here, take this tiny ad with you:
Sauce Labs - World's Largest Continuous Testing Cloud for Websites and Mobile Apps
Boost this thread!
Creating A Favourite Button
Baked Potato Soup
Recipe of the week: Bear's Chile Relleno Casserole