• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Ron McLeod
  • Tim Cooke
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
Sheriffs:
  • Paul Clapham
  • Rob Spoor
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Piet Souris
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:

Drawbacks of Spring

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

Recently in an interview I was asked to list the drawbacks of using Spring. I could not think of anything. I searched for it on Internet and I did not find much. Do you know if Spring has a drawbacks ?

Jagadeesh.
 
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 14682
330
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You can't really name drawbacks unless you have something to compare it it. Do you mean drawbacks of using Spring as compared to bare servlets without additional frameworks?
 
Java Cowboy
Posts: 16084
88
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
One drawback that I could think of, is that it has a steep learning curve. You need to understand a number of concepts before you can use Spring effectively.

Also, it can sometimes be a bit complicated to see how Spring wires different components together. A good IDE which understands Spring can make it easier to navigate bean dependencies.
 
Enthuware Software Support
Posts: 4666
51
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jagadeesh Sadashiv wrote:Hello,

Recently in an interview I was asked to list the drawbacks of using Spring. I could not think of anything. I searched for it on Internet and I did not find much. Do you know if Spring has a drawbacks ?

Jagadeesh.


As Stephen said, you need to compare it with alternatives. In that sense, it is a very good question from the candidate's POV because it gives you an opportunity to show case pretty much all of your knowledge and experience. You can start with spring vs no-spring and move on to spring vs some other DI.
IMHO, steep learning is curve is a lame disadvantage I wouldn't mention it at all.
Managing the versioning of spring core and its supporting jars manually is a big pain. It takes a while to set them all up correctly even in build tools.
 
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Posts: 16084
88
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Paul Anilprem wrote:IMHO, steep learning is curve is a lame disadvantage  I wouldn't mention it at all.


I've worked with people who didn't want to use Spring because they didn't understand it and thought it was too difficult. But that probably says more about those people than about the quality of the Spring Framework...

Paul Anilprem wrote:Managing the versioning of spring core and its supporting jars manually is a big pain. It takes a while to set them all up correctly even in build tools.


It's not a good idea to try to control all the dependencies and versions yourself, that will indeed quickly lead to a hard to maintain mess. Spring helps you with that if you use the Spring BOM (Bill of Materials) pom.xml file.
 
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Posts: 4666
51
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jesper de Jong wrote:

Paul Anilprem wrote:Managing the versioning of spring core and its supporting jars manually is a big pain. It takes a while to set them all up correctly even in build tools.


It's not a good idea to try to control all the dependencies and versions yourself, that will indeed quickly lead to a hard to maintain mess. Spring helps you with that if you use the Spring BOM (Bill of Materials) pom.xml file.


And that's my point. You've got to learn maven (or some other build tool) now
 
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic