• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Girls can't do physics; piss off.  RSS feed

 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 56227
171
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
It was in the newspaper about a week ago, and I have got my hands on a copy of the offensive offending article. Anna Wilson, Kate Wilson and David Low: tes (=Times Educational Supplement) 15th September 2017 pages 52‑54.

It produces an explanation why girls have difficulty with phsysics, a proble boys don't appear to have.

The article says that
. . . another reason for young women and girls' relative under‑performance . . . lower facility with projectile motion.
They attribute this to activities regularly engaged in by boys which girls appear never to do
. . . the great delight young males take in urination, a process by which the produce and direct a visible projectile arc.
It is a respected journal; it must be true.
 
Joe Ess
Bartender
Posts: 9436
12
Linux Mac OS X Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
How did they test this?  Get girls to pee standing up and measure an increase in test scores? It sounds like one of those articles some snarky SOB gets published to prove that peer review doesn't work (see here).
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 56227
171
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Of course, there is no simple way to provide girls with the same opportunities for exploring projectile motion that boys have . . .
O good grief! I have only just noticed that all three authors appear to be Australian. That makes things even worse.

The TES is a newspaper supplement, so it isn't peer‑reviewed, otherwise publication might have been rescheduled for about Easter The article is entitled
Taking the pee out of physics: how boys are getting a leg up
and it has a paragraph heading, “Changing the flow.” Since they do acknowledge
We know that some people won't take us seriously; indeed we might even be accused of taking the piss.
I am not at all convinced about their conclusion that teaching in projectile motion be given less emphasis in teaching physics, but I am by no means convinced that there is any relationship between knowing where you point something and calculating how far it will travel, so I don't see there is any reason why having a good aim when throwing something will help you do well in physics lessons.

There was a letter earlier this week in the newspaper about recoil, saying the recoil of a fire hose was a much better demonstration of the law of motion.
 
Stephan van Hulst
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 7933
143
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I haven't followed *any* news the last two years. The most important stuff usually comes up in conversation, and then I Google those topics myself. I haven't missed reading the paper at all.

My pubquiz score had suffered though.
 
Liutauras Vilda
Marshal
Posts: 4828
330
BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Stephan van Hulst wrote:I haven't followed *any* news the last two years.

And I'm sure you haven't missed anything you couldn't live without.
 
Randall Twede
Ranch Hand
Posts: 4692
8
Java Scala
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
all three authors appear to be Australian

well there you go
 
Tim Holloway
Bartender
Posts: 18781
74
Android Eclipse IDE Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Campbell Ritchie wrote:
The article says that
. . . another reason for young women and girls' relative under‑performance . . . lower facility with projectile motion.
They attribute this to activities regularly engaged in by boys which girls appear never to do
. . . the great delight young males take in urination, a process by which the produce and direct a visible projectile arc.
It is a respected journal; it must be true.


Oh look, Junior just pushed his milk off the high chair again. Can you catch it in time?
 
Paul Clapham
Sheriff
Posts: 22722
43
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I liked the New Scientist magazine's take on this... they just noted that examining any public washroom that admits men will quickly demonstrate that this so-called facility with projectile motion is highly overrated.
 
Randall Twede
Ranch Hand
Posts: 4692
8
Java Scala
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I disagree Paul. The people you refer to are simply pigs.
What I hate is when they pee on the seat.
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Sheriff
Posts: 37403
531
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Someone* around these parts told me he knows how many liters are to a gallon (or vice versa I forget) because it is printed on the urinal. So guys have an advantage in that they are more likely to know that one fact . Hardly an insurmountable advantage there.

* IN case he wishes to remain anonymous
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 56227
171
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Everybody knows it is approx 4.5. At least on this side of the Pond. But having capacities printed in litres and gallons in the WC simply encourages unwarranted bragging.
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Sheriff
Posts: 37403
531
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Campbell Ritchie wrote:Everybody knows it is approx 4.5. At least on this side of the Pond.

Yes. As you might imagine this discussion was with a fellow American. Here in the United States we don't all know that.
 
Paul Clapham
Sheriff
Posts: 22722
43
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:
Campbell Ritchie wrote:Everybody knows it is approx 4.5. At least on this side of the Pond.

Yes. As you might imagine this discussion was with a fellow American. Here in the United States we don't all know that.


And you shouldn't know that either because it's about 3.8 in the US. (Different gallons... sigh...) And just to clarify, I know this because when I buy a large can of paint it's a 3.78-litre can.
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Sheriff
Posts: 37403
531
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Paul Clapham wrote:And you shouldn't know that either because it's about 3.8 in the US. (Different gallons... sigh...) And just to clarify, I know this because when I buy a large can of paint it's a 3.78-litre can.

I didn't know there were different gallons. I just looked on wikipedia. My reaction is "for crying out loud!"
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 56227
171
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Pints and ounces are different too. British flozzes weigh one ounce (avdp), approx 28.4g/28.4ml, and American flozzes are slightly larger. Both kinds of gallon contain 8 pints, but an American pint is 16floz and a British pint 20floz, so our pints and gallons are larger. It also means that if you get 38mpg in your car, I would expect to get 45mpg in the same car.
 
Pete Letkeman
Ranch Foreman
Posts: 853
25
Android Chrome IntelliJ IDE Java MySQL Database
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
This looks like it may be a step in the right direction
Lego has unveiled a set of figures celebrating the women of NASA.

The 231-piece set features Sally Ride, the first American female astronaut, and Mae Jemison, the first black woman to travel in space. Also included in the set are figures of astronomer and educator Nancy Grace Roman and computer scientist Margaret Hamilton.

You can read the fill article here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/kidspost/women-of-nasa-get-their-own-lego-set/2017/10/18/580a6000-b440-11e7-9e58-e6288544af98_story.html?utm_term=.064c910863e0
Set to go on sale Nov 1, 2017
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 56227
171
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Pete Letkeman wrote:. . . 231-piece . . .
That is the same size as a US gallon
 
Pete Letkeman
Ranch Foreman
Posts: 853
25
Android Chrome IntelliJ IDE Java MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Campbell Ritchie wrote:That is the same size as a US gallon

It's my understanding that nothing is the same as a US gallon, for the simple fact that Merica is the best at everything .
Just like it's always cold and snowy in Canada (I should know living in Canada all my life) and wet and dreary in England.
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 56227
171
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Pete Letkeman wrote:. . . Merica is the best at everything . . .
You must have been listening to some Leonard Bernstein. Otherwise, that would count as one of the, “things least likely to be said” by a Canadian
and wet and dreary in England.
It is just at the moment. But we had a red sun on Monday.
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Sheriff
Posts: 37403
531
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Campbell Ritchie wrote:Pints and ounces are different too.

THis gets even better. So our odd system of measurement aren't even compatible!

Time for grams and liters everyone...
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 56227
171
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:. . . So our odd system of measurement aren't even compatible! . . .
That's only fluid ounces; ounces weight are the same (at least for avdp weights).
 
Liutauras Vilda
Marshal
Posts: 4828
330
BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Paul Clapham wrote:when I buy a large can of paint it's a 3.78-litre can.

I thought you misspelled word "paint", that would be one of better units indeed, for a better weekends presumably.
 
Pete Letkeman
Ranch Foreman
Posts: 853
25
Android Chrome IntelliJ IDE Java MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:THis gets even better. So our odd system of measurement aren't even compatible!

Time for grams and liters everyone...

I believe that this is the reason that most scientific equations use the metric system.
However I do recall that recently someone on this site was not in favor of using Celsius and they said that they'd rather use Fahrenheit.
With the metric system things, at least for me, are easy. For instance 1 liter equals 1000 milliliters and 1 kilometer equals 1000 meters.
 
Liutauras Vilda
Marshal
Posts: 4828
330
BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Pete Letkeman wrote:1 liter equals 1000 milliliters

or 1000 grams if that's a water

Do you know that in some east European countries when somebody talks about spirits, they measure and call it, 50 g, 100 g. Nobody says 100 ml.

So even that can get confusing depending in which part of the world you are. You talk about liquids and suddenly get outcome in grams.
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 56227
171
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Liutauras Vilda wrote:. . . in some east European countries when somebody talks about spirits, they measure and call it, 50 g, 100 g. Nobody says 100 ml. . . .
Because alcohol is less dense than water and a 100g tot of vodka is actually 113ml? Now that is 0.4pint, so they have gone back to the old British system
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 56227
171
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
So that is why, in Scotland, they talk about heavy beer and light beer.
 
Liutauras Vilda
Marshal
Posts: 4828
330
BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Campbell Ritchie wrote:Because alcohol is less dense than water and a 100g tot of vodka is actually 113ml?

Of course people do regret for those extra +13 on the other day 

Campbell Ritchie wrote:Now that is 0.4pint

But you do have two different pints too, right? I don't see the other one often. Sometimes I ask, do you sell normal or just a small ones.
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 56227
171
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Liutauras Vilda wrote:. . . you do have two different pints . . . do you sell normal or just a small ones.
As long as you resist the temptation to go to USA, pints are always 20fl.oz, but they do come in two types: full and not quite full. Unfortunately there are lots of people who will try to sell you one of the latter type (not quite full) and then spin some yarn about the law allowing 5% under. The law doesn't allow 5% under. The law allows 5% leeway each way for imprecision, so you shou‍ld get a 21‑oz pint as frequently as a 19‑oz pint.
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Sheriff
Posts: 37403
531
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Campbell Ritchie wrote:
Liutauras Vilda wrote:. . . you do have two different pints . . . do you sell normal or just a small ones.
As long as you resist the temptation to go to USA, pints are always 20fl.oz, but they do come in two types: full and not quite full. Unfortunately there are lots of people who will try to sell you one of the latter type (not quite full) and then spin some yarn about the law allowing 5% under. The law doesn't allow 5% under. The law allows 5% leeway each way for imprecision, so you shou‍ld get a 21‑oz pint as frequently as a 19‑oz pint.

Except that the 21oz one wouldn't fit in the glass...
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 56227
171
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You can always spill it on the floor. Or come and join us at one of our beer festivals where we use 22oz glasses and fill them to the mark rather than to the brim.
 
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!