• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Java beginner projects  RSS feed

 
Joshua Hipple
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Im starting to learn basic java stuff and I'm wondering if there is a source out there with beginner Java programs that you follow along with, to help you learn? You know, like you actually make a program and he process is explained along the way. Preferably free.
Thanks
 
Pete Letkeman
Ranch Foreman
Posts: 906
26
Android Chrome IntelliJ IDE Java MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome to CodeRanch Joshua.

This may be something along the lines of what you want, and its 100% free.
https://www.codingame.com/

You may want to take a few moments and look at some of the resources listed here
https://coderanch.com/c/books
However most/all of them cost money.

Maybe, for us to help you better, you could tell us what you are hoping to do at the end?
For instance are you hoping to create games, web sites, Android apps, or database driven programs, etc?

As well do you already know a language like C#, JavaScript, SQL etc or are you starting from the beginning?
If you are starting from the beginning the I would suggest Head First Java (not free) as a tutorial book  for learning Java.
 
Joshua Hipple
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Pete Letkeman wrote:Welcome to CodeRanch Joshua.

This may be something along the lines of what you want, and its 100% free.
https://www.codingame.com/

You may want to take a few moments and look at some of the resources listed here
https://coderanch.com/c/books
However most/all of them cost money.

Maybe, for us to help you better, you could tell us what you are hoping to do at the end?
For instance are you hoping to create games, web sites, Android apps, or database driven programs, etc?

As well do you already know a language like C#, JavaScript, SQL etc or are you starting from the beginning?
If you are starting from the beginning the I would suggest Head First Java (not free) as a tutorial book  for learning Java.



well, i think games would be cool, but my math skills lack too much for games i think. i think app making would be cool. maybe eventually ill get into websites. this is my first language i am learning. so i have no prior experience.
 
Pete Letkeman
Ranch Foreman
Posts: 906
26
Android Chrome IntelliJ IDE Java MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Joshua Hipple wrote:i think games would be cool, but my math skills lack too much for games i think

You may not know this, but there is a sub forum on this site for games. You may not need the math that you think you need for games, as a lot goes into games.
Joshua Hipple wrote:maybe eventually ill get into websites

It is helpful to know some HTML, CSS and JavaScript before starting to learn Java for web sites.
Many web sites also use databases/SQL, which is a different language unto itself.
Joshua Hipple wrote:i think app making would be cool.

In this case you really should start with understanding/learning things like interfaces, objects, classes and more which are the building blocks of Java.
Joshua Hipple wrote:this is my first language i am learning. so i have no prior experience.

Then it may be better to learn without a project, so that you get an overall experience as to what you could do.

While there are plenty of tutorial based web sites out there, sometimes its good to have a book which teaches you a bit of many things when starting out.

However if you want some challenges ten you may want to check out https://www.hackerrank.com.
HackerRank has programming challenges which can be solved in minutes and others which take much longer.
Not only that you can solve the challenges in many different languages including Java, C, Bash and more.
 
Pete Letkeman
Ranch Foreman
Posts: 906
26
Android Chrome IntelliJ IDE Java MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
To have a book that starts at the beginning I would suggest Head First Java (not free).
 
Joshua Hipple
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Pete Letkeman wrote:To have a book that starts at the beginning I would suggest Head First Java (not free).


i have that book, parts of it i dont find very clear. im also taking a course on udemy.com. in addition to that, i also use that app called sololearn. so between those 3, if one source doesnt explain something so well, i see how the other source explains it.
 
Knute Snortum
Sheriff
Posts: 4279
127
Chrome Eclipse IDE Java Postgres Database VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If you want to get started with a simple program that actually does something, you could write a simple command line calculator.

* prompt for a get a real number
* prompt for a get an operation (+ - * /)
* prompt for a get another real number
* apply the operation to the two numbers
* print the result
 
It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!