• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Problems installing JavaEE  RSS feed

 
Kim Gordon
Greenhorn
Posts: 9
C++ Chrome Python
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello All,

I just purchased a copy of this book to try and learn EJB so that I can help maintain legacy code at work. I am reading the "GETTING J2EE" section in the introduction on page xxiv and noticed that most of the software to download to run the examples is probably extremely out of date. The book recommends to obtain:
          - J2SE SDK 1.3 or greater (check, I have Java 8)
          - J2EE 1.3 from java.sun.com (This was published before Oracle bought Sun)
  
So if I want to follow along with the book what should I do? Should I try to find a copy of J2EE 1.3 or should I download a newer version from Oracle?

The newer version from Oracle is located here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javaee/downloads/index.html This page contains a GlassFish server. There is no mention of an "(RI) Server" on the oracle dot com page.

I would appreciate input on these matters because I need to learn EJB for work.

Thank-you for reading this.

Regards,

Kim G
 
Kim Gordon
Greenhorn
Posts: 9
C++ Chrome Python
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think I found a copy of J2EE 1.3 at the following URL: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javaee/downloads/java-archive-downloads-eesdk-419427.html#7916-j2ee_sdk-1.3_01-oth-JPR

This probably would not work with Java SE 1.8 though correct? I will see if I can find a copy of Java SE 1.3 now.
 
Kim Gordon
Greenhorn
Posts: 9
C++ Chrome Python
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello All,

So I downloaded the ancient JDKs for SE and EE and compiled the Bean and the two interfaces from Chapter 1 without any difficulty. Then when, I turned to page 32 I was instructed to use the "deploytool". I found this bat file in the j2EE JDK under the bin directory. Upon executing this deploytool.bat file I ran into a showstopping problem. This error can be seen in the attached screenshot. I used my favorite tool Google and found that this could be because of the version of Windows I am using, Version 7. Apparently, this tool, deploytool.bat, only works on XP or something. :/ Any ideas on workarounds so that I can continue reading this book?

The error I receive when trying to use the deploytool.bat program is:


Regards,

Kim G

deploytoolerror-j2sdkee1.3.1-12-7-2017-7-31-41-PM.png
[Thumbnail for deploytoolerror-j2sdkee1.3.1-12-7-2017-7-31-41-PM.png]
Screenshot of the deploytool error
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 56530
172
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You could consider using the old versions throughout, but I would go for the most recent versions myself. Are there any installation instructions on the Oracle website?
Please change the screenshot to copied'n'pasted text in your most recent post. You have posted in the wrong location: this is a thread about the book, not about JavaEE (note new name), so I shall separate your posts and move them where they will actually be noticed.
 
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Sheriff
Posts: 16058
88
Android IntelliJ IDE Java Scala Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Is there a special reason why you are learning this super-old version of Java EE? Or is that just because the book you have is so old?

See also my answer in the other topic - you're much better off learning the current version, and you can find Oracle's tutorial for Java EE 8 here: https://javaee.github.io/tutorial/
 
Kim Gordon
Greenhorn
Posts: 9
C++ Chrome Python
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Campbell Ritchie wrote:You could consider using the old versions throughout, but I would go for the most recent versions myself. Are there any installation instructions on the Oracle website?
Please change the screenshot to copied'n'pasted text in your most recent post. You have posted in the wrong location: this is a thread about the book, not about JavaEE (note new name), so I shall separate your posts and move them where they will actually be noticed.


I did not notice any "installation instructions on the Oracle website". I have typed out the error message from the screenshot per your instructions.
 
Kim Gordon
Greenhorn
Posts: 9
C++ Chrome Python
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jesper de Jong wrote:Is there a special reason why you are learning this super-old version of Java EE? Or is that just because the book you have is so old?

See also my answer in the other topic - you're much better off learning the current version, and you can find Oracle's tutorial for Java EE 8 here: https://javaee.github.io/tutorial/


Yes, Jesper I am learning a super-old version to help maintain legacy code at work. Also, I bought Head First EJB because the Head First series is easy to understand. In this book they use this ancient Java.

Thank-you for the link to the tutorial for the latest version of JavaEE.
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 56530
172
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Kim Gordon wrote:. . . I have typed out the error message from the screenshot per your instructions.
Thank you You should be able to copy'n'paste from the command line.
 
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!