Win a copy of Classic Computer Science Problems in Swift this week in the iOS forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Sybex OCP Java 8 Study Guide typos  RSS feed

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 8
1
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I've spotted a few more minor typos for the errata list.

p178 - In the middle of the box, the italicised 'eggs' should just be 'egg'.

p208 - 5th line, 'this function that takes an Object' should have 'that' removed.

p334 - halfway down, my old English teacher wouldn't like 'requests the current thread of execution rest'. It could be either 'requests that the current thread of execution rest' or 'requests the current thread of execution to rest'. I'm English, and American English grammar may not be as strict so you could disagree on this one.

p358 - near the bottom 'in own custom implementation'? Should this be 'in our own custom implementations'?

p358 - same sentence as above. 'forgot' is a tense change within the sentence, which my English teacher also wouldn't like, so 'forget' would be better.

p373 -  last sentence - 'Recall that' should be 'Recall that the'.

p377 - First sentence in box - 'a parallel' should just be 'parallel'.

p551 - Q9. 'and as the code would not compile'. I think the 'as' is superfluous here, or maybe it should be 'so'.

Regards,
Nick.

 
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 38152
617
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Nick Robinson wrote:p334 - halfway down, my old English teacher wouldn't like 'requests the current thread of execution rest'. It could be either 'requests that the current thread of execution rest' or 'requests the current thread of execution to rest'. I'm English, and American English grammar may not be as strict so you could disagree on this one.


This sounds fine to me so I'm going to disagree. Granted the word order would probably be different in "proper English". But it feels like the split infinitives thing where colloquial English is different. Or you could blame us state side for butchering your language ;).

Nick Robinson wrote:p358 - near the bottom 'in own custom implementation'? Should this be 'in our own custom implementations'?


I think this one is right as well. The implementation is a group of things so singular.

Nick Robinson wrote:p358 - same sentence as above. 'forgot' is a tense change within the sentence, which my English teacher also wouldn't like, so 'forget' would be better.


On this one, you are probably right, but I don't consider strict grammar to be an errata. And it wasn't a typo. We thought it that way and our copy editor didn't complain .


Nick Robinson wrote:p551 - Q9. 'and as the code would not compile'. I think the 'as' is superfluous here, or maybe it should be 'so'.


Probably, but it is fine.

All other items, I logged on the errata list crediting you. Sorry it took so long. I kept meaning to go back to this. And then it was so long that a little longer wouldn't matter. And then...
 
Marshal
Posts: 58830
179
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Nick Robinson wrote:. . .'requests the current thread of execution rest'. . . .

I think that clause is correct, but both alternatives would be correct too. It is the subjecuntive which is in common use in English. But there are only about five instances where the subjunctive looks different from the indicative:-
  • 1: ... I be ...
  • 2: ... we be ...
  • 3: ... I were ...
  • 4: ... he/she/it were ...
  • 5: 3rd person singular, present tense, all verbs.
  • We therefore don't notice we are using the subjunctive, as one would in languages like German and Latin.
     
    Nick Robinson
    Greenhorn
    Posts: 8
    1
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator
    Fair enough, but my slow learning rate has given me time to spot a few more typos.

    p203 - second last sentence. 'limit() prevents its second element' should be 'limit() allows its second element.'

    p228 - Q9. Being picky, if answers A and B end in semicolons, C and D should also. The answer requires the code to compile.

    p338 - second last paragraph - 'the writers of the Java' could be either 'the writers of Java' or 'the
    writers of the Java language'.

    p361 - 3rd paragraph. 'that object' should be 'that an object'.



     
    Jeanne Boyarsky
    author & internet detective
    Marshal
    Posts: 38152
    617
    Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator

    Nick Robinson wrote:p203 - second last sentence. 'limit() prevents its second element' should be 'limit() allows its second element.'


    Logged

    Nick Robinson wrote:p228 - Q9. Being picky, if answers A and B end in semicolons, C and D should also. The answer requires the code to compile.


    Logged. And this isn't picky because it is about code. It would be picky if you said we missed a semicolon in an English sentence.

    Nick Robinson wrote:p338 - second last paragraph - 'the writers of the Java' could be either 'the writers of Java' or 'the writers of the Java language'.


    Agreed. I added this one to our private list since it doesn't hurt understanding.

    Nick Robinson wrote:p361 - 3rd paragraph. 'that object' should be 'that an object'.


    Logged
     
    • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
    • New Topic
    Boost this thread!