Win a copy of Learning OpenStack Networking: Build a solid foundation in virtual networking technologies for OpenStack-based clouds this week in the Cloud/Virtualization forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Tim Cooke
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Devaka Cooray
Sheriffs:
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Knute Snortum
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Ganesh Patekar
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Pete Letkeman
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Tim Holloway
  • Ron McLeod
  • Vijitha Kumara

Jakarta EE certifications  RSS feed

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 7
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello.

I was going to start preparing for Java EE 1Z0-899 (Web Components) certification. However, the latest certification is only for Java EE 6, which seems a bit old. Does anybody know whether Eclipse foundation will provide Jakarta EE (new Java EE) certification? Maybe I should postpone and wait for newer versions?
 
author & internet detective
Sheriff
Posts: 38564
654
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think you'll have a long wait. The new group hasn't expressed an interest in creating a certification. And even if they did, they have a bunch of higher priorities.
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:I think you'll have a long wait. The new group hasn't expressed an interest in creating a certification. And even if they did, they have a bunch of higher priorities.


@Jeanne, do you think the OCEJWCD and OCEJPAD are still relevant and worth to take in 2018?
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 1
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Roman Vintonyak wrote: @Jeanne, do you think the OCEJWCD and OCEJPAD are still relevant and worth to take in 2018?



As Jeanne said I don't think we're going to have Jakarta EE certification anytime soon or at all.

The current certifications exist because Oracle was heavily invested in Java EE back then but Oracle's current interest in Java EE/Jakarta EE is at best minimal, even when they're strategic members they let down Java EE in the past and I just don't trust them.

Jakarta EE development is under the Eclipse foundation, I don't think the Eclipse Foundation is going to have any interest in creating certifications, certifications are kinda controversial, anybody starting that conversation will start a long and heated discussion. Maybe if their members push for it we might get them but I doubt it.

Jakarta EE is more in the "open source" vibe, in the community vibe and it's very uncommon for these kind of community efforts to offer certifications, maybe training by some of the members but not certifications.

Now, about the value of the existing Java EE certifications. You're right, they're from an old version of Java EE but it's all we got.

I'd say they're relevant and even worth taking but maybe not for the reason you may be interested in these certifications. I think they're relevant and have value because if you study in detail the material you need to pass the OCEJWCD exam it will make you learn details about Servlets, Filters, JSP, EL, application security, etc. It's worth it because all those things represent the fundamentals of Java Web development, even in 2018, even if you're using Spring or you're into microservices and other new ways of doing things they're still valid and relevant because at some point you will deal with these things.

Even more important, not everybody is using the latest trends, particularly in corporate environments, they're still using Java EE 6/7 (even previous versions) and in corporate environment moving to the next new thing is not a priority, stability and availability of support is so having the knowledge you get by preparing for the exam will be very useful in the Java Web development world.

Regarding your concern about the version of the certification (Java EE 6). After passing the certification exam you can read a book or take a video course about "What's new in Java EE 7", the changes are important but not radical and you will just need to learn about new features and improvements which is not a difficult task once you know Java EE basics in detail.

In conclusion the value is in the knowledge you'll acquire which is still relevant and worth to learn, the actual certification may or may not be useful, it will depend on each employer but the knowledge will be appreciated by any employer and I'm pretty sure you won't have any regrets when working with Java EE 6/7/8 or Jakarta EE.
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Sheriff
Posts: 38564
654
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Roman Vintonyak wrote:

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:I think you'll have a long wait. The new group hasn't expressed an interest in creating a certification. And even if they did, they have a bunch of higher priorities.


@Jeanne, do you think the OCEJWCD and OCEJPAD are still relevant and worth to take in 2018?


Sorry, I missed this. I'm not familiar with the OCEJWCD or OCEJPAD certifications so I have no opinion on the matter.

I took the OCA/OCP (many versions) and SCEA/OCMJEA.
 
Roman Vintonyak
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Ragnar McRyan wrote:

Roman Vintonyak wrote: @Jeanne, do you think the OCEJWCD and OCEJPAD are still relevant and worth to take in 2018?



As Jeanne said I don't think we're going to have Jakarta EE certification anytime soon or at all.

The current certifications exist because Oracle was heavily invested in Java EE back then but Oracle's current interest in Java EE/Jakarta EE is at best minimal, even when they're strategic members they let down Java EE in the past and I just don't trust them.

Jakarta EE development is under the Eclipse foundation, I don't think the Eclipse Foundation is going to have any interest in creating certifications, certifications are kinda controversial, anybody starting that conversation will start a long and heated discussion. Maybe if their members push for it we might get them but I doubt it.

Jakarta EE is more in the "open source" vibe, in the community vibe and it's very uncommon for these kind of community efforts to offer certifications, maybe training by some of the members but not certifications.

Now, about the value of the existing Java EE certifications. You're right, they're from an old version of Java EE but it's all we got.

I'd say they're relevant and even worth taking but maybe not for the reason you may be interested in these certifications. I think they're relevant and have value because if you study in detail the material you need to pass the OCEJWCD exam it will make you learn details about Servlets, Filters, JSP, EL, application security, etc. It's worth it because all those things represent the fundamentals of Java Web development, even in 2018, even if you're using Spring or you're into microservices and other new ways of doing things they're still valid and relevant because at some point you will deal with these things.

Even more important, not everybody is using the latest trends, particularly in corporate environments, they're still using Java EE 6/7 (even previous versions) and in corporate environment moving to the next new thing is not a priority, stability and availability of support is so having the knowledge you get by preparing for the exam will be very useful in the Java Web development world.

Regarding your concern about the version of the certification (Java EE 6). After passing the certification exam you can read a book or take a video course about "What's new in Java EE 7", the changes are important but not radical and you will just need to learn about new features and improvements which is not a difficult task once you know Java EE basics in detail.

In conclusion the value is in the knowledge you'll acquire which is still relevant and worth to learn, the actual certification may or may not be useful, it will depend on each employer but the knowledge will be appreciated by any employer and I'm pretty sure you won't have any regrets when working with Java EE 6/7/8 or Jakarta EE.



thanks for such a great answer! Now I have a strong decision to take the certification
btw I'm not using Spring for my current project, I leverage Jave EE 7.
 
Roman Vintonyak
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:

Roman Vintonyak wrote:

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:I think you'll have a long wait. The new group hasn't expressed an interest in creating a certification. And even if they did, they have a bunch of higher priorities.


@Jeanne, do you think the OCEJWCD and OCEJPAD are still relevant and worth to take in 2018?


Sorry, I missed this. I'm not familiar with the OCEJWCD or OCEJPAD certifications so I have no opinion on the matter.

I took the OCA/OCP (many versions) and SCEA/OCMJEA.



Thank you also, Jeanne. Using the moment, I'd like to say your books really helped me to earn OCA and OCP. You're doing a great job!
 
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!