• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Paul Clapham
  • Ron McLeod
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Junilu Lacar
  • Henry Wong
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Jj Roberts
  • Tim Holloway
  • Piet Souris
Bartenders:
  • Himai Minh
  • Carey Brown
  • salvin francis

Thread Reviews on Mock Exams OCAJP 7 and OCAJP 8 (1Z0-803 and 1Z0-808)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all!

I would like to start a thread that reviews the quality of the available OCAJP 7 and OCAJP 8 Mock Exams and practice exam questions. I'm especially interested in the experience and opinion every user has on these 1Z0-803 and 1Z0-808 Mock Exams.

I myself used the mock exams from Enthuware for OCAJP 7.
These were great in my opnion! I think they have enormous value for money and I learned a lot from the explanations provided! Enthuware also have great support: if you have a valid question about their mock-exam questions, they are great and timely in answering these questions and in helping you out. I think are pretty much complete in their material. Furthermore, there are quite some hard questions among them but I regard that as a good thing.

I also did the mock exam questions from Sierra & Bates' book (OCA Java SE 8 Programmer I Exam Guide). I thought these were great as well! They are pretty hard and I learned a lot from these questions, although someone else might make the counter-argument that the real exam doesn't contain three pitfalls in each question (I'm exaggerating a little).

But there are other mock exams and practice questions for the OCAJP 7 and OCAJP 8 exams, for example:
- practice questions and mock exams from Boyarsky and Selikoff's book (Oracle Cerfified Associate Java SE 8 Programmer I Study Guide).
- mock exams from Whizlabs.
- mock exams from Oraclestudy
- mock exams from Kaplan
- and several other mock exams and practice questions that are not yet mentioned here.

A list of OCA 7/8 study materials can be seen on another thread of Javaranch: OCA 7/8 study materials

However, in this thread I would like to collect only the opinions and reviews of users on their experiences they have had with different mock exam websites or books with mock exams and practice questions.

I hear that some of the websites and books that provide these questions are (very) good, and others not so much.
For example, this person who finally passed the OCAJP8 exam with 98% seemed to love Boyarsky and Selikoff's exam questions but he really disliked Kaplan's mock exams: Finally passed OCAJP8 (1Z0-808) with 98%!

Of course, different people can have different opinions so one opinion might not mean much but maybe together we can reach a consensus in this thread on which mock exam sites and books are good and which ones are not.

So I think that collecting user reviews of these mock exams and practice questions in sites or books in one place such as this one can be very worthwhile.

Thanks in advance to everyone for sharing their opinions and experiences!

Roger Jenkins
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I nearly bought the Oraclestudy mock exams, but after some online research I am now doubting if they are for real. I don't have conclusive evidence either way but that's what my gut-feeling now says: it is now preventing me to proceed so for now I am not going to do so anymore. Does anyone have experience with them?
I felt obliged to post this in the thread to everyone reading this since I also explicitly mentioned them in my initial post. I would have edited them out of my initial post but I'm too late so I'm posting this second post instead.

Bartender
Android IntelliJ IDE MySQL Database Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are a number of Wall Of Fame pages on this site such as:
  • OCA Wall Of Fame
  • OCP Wall Of Fame
  • OCEWSD Wall Of Fame
  • And probably others. Each Wall Of Fame has links to end user stories where they may share the effectiveness of the resources that they used.

However this site (CodeRanch.com) has a fair amount of content, some in thread posting and some in Wiki pages what sometimes things get lost in the shuffle.

You idea may be something to look into a bit more Roger so I'll place a link to it in the Ranch Office area where others may comment on it.

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Ford. Tiny ad:
    Building a Better World in your Backyard by Paul Wheaton and Shawn Klassen-Koop
    https://coderanch.com/wiki/718759/books/Building-World-Backyard-Paul-Wheaton
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic