Win a copy of Spring in Action (5th edition) this week in the Spring forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Devaka Cooray
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
Sheriffs:
  • Knute Snortum
  • Junilu Lacar
  • paul wheaton
Saloon Keepers:
  • Ganesh Patekar
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
  • Ron McLeod
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • salvin francis
  • Tim Holloway

Edge is out  RSS feed

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 355
8
BSD Debian Open BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Uhou Ms's 3-year-old Edge web browser is just discontinued? something is changed in CE field?!
Chrome seems be king here FF is way behind
 
Bartender
Posts: 1977
57
Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Are you sure Edge (the browser) is out ? Looks like they're just switching the underlying engine from EdgeHTML to Chromium.
 
Harry Kar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 355
8
BSD Debian Open BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

salvin francis wrote:Are you sure Edge (the browser) is out ? Looks like they're just switching the underlying engine from EdgeHTML to Chromium.


...Microsoft has given up on Edge and reportedly building a new Chromium-based web browser, dubbed project codename "Anaheim" internally, that will replace Edge on Windows 10 operating system as its new default browser...,

 
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 2153
278
Android Angular Framework Eclipse IDE Java Linux MySQL Database Redhat TypeScript
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

salvin francis wrote:Are you sure Edge (the browser) is out ? Looks like they're just switching the underlying engine from EdgeHTML to Chromium.


That's what I understand too - innards only - possibly no change to the current user interface.  The article says it is not known if they will keep the Edge brand or not.
 
Marshal
Posts: 61741
193
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Where did you find that out?
 
Ron McLeod
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 2153
278
Android Angular Framework Eclipse IDE Java Linux MySQL Database Redhat TypeScript
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I read about it this morning at Windows Central
 
Harry Kar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 355
8
BSD Debian Open BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Campbell Ritchie wrote:Where did you find that out?


Look at link of my first post of that thread
 
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 5041
134
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Edge is out


Does that mean the end of U2?
 
Bartender
Posts: 19984
95
Android Eclipse IDE Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Good old Microsoft. You can always depend on them getting you hooked on a proprietary technology that they either change so much that your previous investments in it all break at once or they discontinue it entirely.

The articles I read appear to indicate that the Edge name is going away as well as the innards.

Of course, Microsoft is the only software provider where the browser has been touted as (squeaky Steve Ballmer voice) "an Integral part of the (Windows) Operating System". So who knows?
 
Harry Kar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 355
8
BSD Debian Open BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tim Moores wrote:

Edge is out


Does that mean the end of U2?


Tim U2 never ended really in my heart "With or without you " and "I haven't still found what i'm looking for" to say only two representatives have to leave forever ;)
 
Harry Kar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 355
8
BSD Debian Open BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tim Holloway wrote:Good old Microsoft. You can always depend on them getting you hooked on a proprietary technology that they either change so much that your previous investments in it all break at once or they discontinue it entirely.

The articles I read appear to indicate that the Edge name is going away as well as the innards.

Of course, Microsoft is the only software provider where the browser has been touted as (squeaky Steve Ballmer voice) "an Integral part of the (Windows) Operating System". So who knows?


+1 about MS sloppy politics and strategy; by the way i can see a great mass movement to FOSS if i think how was thinks back in the old good  days
 
Tim Moores
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 5041
134
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

U2 never ended really


Well, if Edge is out, that must be the end of them.
 
Marshal
Posts: 6257
420
BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Not gonna miss either way. Don't mind if it would get wiped out of the system completely, so some extra Mb (probably several Gb) space would be given back.
 
Tim Holloway
Bartender
Posts: 19984
95
Android Eclipse IDE Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Harry Kar wrote:

Tim Holloway wrote:Good old Microsoft. You can always depend on them getting you hooked on a proprietary technology that they either change so much that your previous investments in it all break at once or they discontinue it entirely.

The articles I read appear to indicate that the Edge name is going away as well as the innards.

Of course, Microsoft is the only software provider where the browser has been touted as (squeaky Steve Ballmer voice) "an Integral part of the (Windows) Operating System". So who knows?


+1 about MS sloppy politics and strategy; by the way i can see a great mass movement to FOSS if i think how was thinks back in the old good  days



It's a significant reason why I switched to Linux and Java. Less breakage, better support, backwards compatibility.

I only do Windows for 2 reasons these days: 1: Taxes (since Intuit has TurboTax welded more tightly into Windows than even Microsoft welds products into Windows). 2: Someone is paying me to work with Windows.

Well, a third reason. I do like to fire up the MS Flight Simulator occasionally. There's supposed to be a good Linux alternative for this one, however. It's just I've never bothered to check it out.

BTW, there was a name or at least code name mentioned in regards to the new Windows browser. I forget what it was, though. Something vaguely menacing, I think.
 
Harry Kar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 355
8
BSD Debian Open BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tim Moores wrote:

U2 never ended really


Well, if Edge is out, that must be the end of them.



According to Edge's(3 years older to me) two main characteristics human rights and philanthropic causes was the main reasons(other than i love guitar sound) i start hear them when i was a bit greener. Dunno what they do actually I heard about a their performance not some time ago
 
Liutauras Vilda
Marshal
Posts: 6257
420
BSD
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tim Holloway wrote:I only do Windows for 2 reasons these days: 1: Taxes (since Intuit has TurboTax welded more tightly into Windows than even Microsoft welds products into Windows). 2: Someone is paying me to work with Windows.


I guess if you'd have an alternative for [1] you could easily live just with [2]
 
Liutauras Vilda
Marshal
Posts: 6257
420
BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Harry Kar wrote:According to Edge's(3 years older to me) two main characteristics human rights and philanthropic causes was the main reasons


Do I read that correctly, so that nobody (or at least less) would complain about the Edge, they say its main purpose is philanthropy and not so much something else, so "why you complain people about it?" ?
 
Harry Kar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 355
8
BSD Debian Open BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tim Holloway wrote:

Harry Kar wrote:

Tim Holloway wrote:Good old Microsoft. You can always depend on them getting you hooked on a proprietary technology that they either change so much that your previous investments in it all break at once or they discontinue it entirely.

The articles I read appear to indicate that the Edge name is going away as well as the innards.

Of course, Microsoft is the only software provider where the browser has been touted as (squeaky Steve Ballmer voice) "an Integral part of the (Windows) Operating System". So who knows?


+1 about MS sloppy politics and strategy; by the way i can see a great mass movement to FOSS if i think how was thinks back in the old good  days



It's a significant reason why I switched to Linux and Java. Less breakage, better support, backwards compatibility.



I instead started with Volkerding's Slackware back in the early 90's because of the open tools C, Assembler, Fortran ecc although i had already bayed Borland's (very good) suite(Pascal, C, C++, Assembler) before i knew about Linux. And because back then i start constructing PC's(compatibles) and solding them

I only do Windows for 2 reasons these days: 1: Taxes (since Intuit has TurboTax welded more tightly into Windows than even Microsoft welds products into Windows). 2: Someone is paying me to work with Windows.



Actually i prefer BSD's (nothing against Linuxes but for "philosophical" reasons). I found them more "stable"(grossly and to be understandable consider Linux as the R&&D department of BSD). I found it valuable also for desktop use  
1. https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-BSD (now https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueOS) : i just used it in one machine
2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GhostBSD : i just used it in another machine
3. https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/DesktopBSD (that seems discontinued)

Well, a third reason. I do like to fire up the MS Flight Simulator occasionally. There's supposed to be a good Linux alternative for this one, however. It's just I've never bothered to check it out.



Great software MS's FS. I workaround it  with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FlightGear As far as i can remember was more more precise than FS(mean if you don't know where exactly is the ignition you stay there hours without can start the plain.Was convenioent read first some real manuals on the plain before you go to try it out. Mean was more simulation than game like as was FS ). FlightGear becomes a complex system (other than the app fo  ti's own there was tools for downloading sceneries etc )

BTW, there was a name or at least code name mentioned in regards to the new Windows browser. I forget what it was, though. Something vaguely menacing, I think.



According to the latest round of tech rumors, Microsoft has given up on Edge and reportedly building a new Chromium-based web browser, dubbed project codename "Anaheim" internally, that will replace Edge on Windows 10 operating system as its new default browser, a journalist at WindowsCentral learned.



Anaheim has a meaning?
 
Harry Kar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 355
8
BSD Debian Open BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Liutauras Vilda wrote:

Tim Holloway wrote:I only do Windows for 2 reasons these days: 1: Taxes (since Intuit has TurboTax welded more tightly into Windows than even Microsoft welds products into Windows). 2: Someone is paying me to work with Windows.


I guess if you'd have an alternative for [1] you could easily live just with [2]


 
Harry Kar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 355
8
BSD Debian Open BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Liutauras Vilda wrote:

Harry Kar wrote:According to Edge's(3 years older to me) two main characteristics human rights and philanthropic causes was the main reasons


Do I read that correctly, so that nobody (or at least less) would complain about the Edge, they say its main purpose is philanthropy and not so much something else, so "why you complain people about it?" ?


Liutaras I talked about U2's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Edge not about Ms's sloppy one :P
 
Liutauras Vilda
Marshal
Posts: 6257
420
BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Harry Kar wrote:I talked about U2's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Edge not about Ms's sloppy one


Yeah, I should have figure out   sorry about that.
 
Harry Kar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 355
8
BSD Debian Open BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Liutauras Vilda wrote:

Harry Kar wrote:I talked about U2's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Edge not about Ms's sloppy one


Yeah, I should have figure out   sorry about that.


Np mate really not only you but I too feel a bit confused Responsible is Tim Moore  
 
Tim Holloway
Bartender
Posts: 19984
95
Android Eclipse IDE Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Anaheim is a town in the Greater Los Angeles metro area of California. Its chief claim to fame is that it's home to the original Disneyland. Not sure if someone at Microsoft chose the name for that reason or not.

Flight Simulator actually models aircraft and flying conditions so well that hours on it can be credited as actual simulator flight time towards a regular pilot's license. Now if I could just learn to manage landing ON the runway....

I was so into it for a while that I bought the independent scenery and airplane development kits. I tried to model my hometown, with varying degrees of success, since I didn't have accurate dimensional information for the primary landmarks. It's funny, but a building is really just a square airplane with a fancy paint job that doesn't move. Then again, the ships that sail FS waters are actually airplanes, too!
 
Harry Kar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 355
8
BSD Debian Open BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Actually i prefer BSD's (nothing against Linuxes but for "philosophical" reasons).


I forgot to articulate that quote but i thing takes to long to do this i guess those links describes fairly well my point
1. https://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01
2. https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/explaining-bsd/comparing-bsd-and-linux.html
3. If I remember well I had some articles about BSD's in a my old blog
 
Harry Kar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 355
8
BSD Debian Open BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tim Holloway wrote:Anaheim is a town in the Greater Los Angeles metro area of California. Its chief claim to fame is that it's home to the original Disneyland. ...


Disneyland is not in Orlando?
Anyway Anaheim seems to me as a German term/name

Flight Simulator actually models aircraft and flying conditions so well that hours on it can be credited as actual simulator flight time towards a regular pilot's license. Now if I could just learn to manage landing ON the runway....



No dubt FS have to be updated too but i meant FG was more on simulation part(if a real plain is unpleasant to pilot in FG in unpleasant too) than in pleasantness. And yes you can simulate a real flight with real flying times. If you're really interested start study seriously all procedures as when you have to do the exam and then simulate on FG or other sim

I was so into it for a while that I bought the independent scenery and airplane development kits. I tried to model my hometown, with varying degrees of success, since I didn't have accurate dimensional information for the primary landmarks. It's funny, but a building is really just a square airplane with a fancy paint job that doesn't move. Then again, the ships that sail FS waters are actually airplanes, too!



Why not do the same in an open way? So all us we can take a trip to your land ;) Meanwhile prepare some beers    
 
Marshal
Posts: 67163
169
IntelliJ IDE Java jQuery Mac Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Harry Kar wrote:Disneyland is not in Orlando?


No. That's DisneyWorld.
 
Tim Holloway
Bartender
Posts: 19984
95
Android Eclipse IDE Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Disneyland is about 10 years older than Disney World.  The "World" part is because Anaheim is actually quite cramped and Walt wanted room to expand and explore new concepts - the greatest of which was the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow (EPCOT), which itself doesn't really match what Walt expected it to be - he was actually looking for a place for people to live and work in a "future" environment. EPCOT is a showcase, and a good one, I think (I prefer it to the Magic Kingdom), but as close as Disney Corp has gotten to Walt's vision of an actual livable community is Celebration, FL.

As an ironic move, one of the northern suburbs of Orlando developed something called "Project APRICOT (A Prototype Realistic Community of Today)" and it included the use of recycled water for the lawns of its public parks.

Technically, Disney World isn't really "in" Orlando, it's a separate entity called the Reedy Creek Improvement District and even has its own fire department, independent of both City of Orlando and Orange County departments, although all 3 co-ordinate at need. And if you've ever seen their hydroponic exhibit and laughed at it, know that it's not just for show - the restaurants use the produce. I think they have their own livestock as well, although that's not on exhibit.

Actually, Orlando has WDW because Daytona wasn't interested.
 
Harry Kar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 355
8
BSD Debian Open BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks guys(Tim Holloway & Bear Bibeault) for us strangers(in the Old continent) are valuable info's. I ignore at all about  Disneyland for me Disney was  Disney World sited in Orlando state
I liked the "projects" when i have time i investigate further
Tim what mean the acronyms
FL =?
WDW=?
...because Daytona wasn't interested. --> There is the famous 500miles
 
Tim Holloway
Bartender
Posts: 19984
95
Android Eclipse IDE Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
FL is the standard 2-character US postal code for Florida (before the standard, it was often written as "Fla.")

WDW is simply the formal name, abbreviated: Walt Disney World.

Walt wanted somewhere where the weather was good (if you like melting in 90% humidity 8 months out of the year). I don't think he wanted Tampa, but the Daytona area had its appeal, especially since one of the major interstate highways passes by it. Jacksonville is one climate zone up (adds an extra 4 weeks to the sub-tropical "winter") and is more industrial and less touristy than points further South and Miami was already kind of loaded up. Plus it's another 3 hours on the road if you're traveling South by auto to get to Miami. Orlando was still a relatively small "big city" at that point (although bigger than Daytona). That changed, of course, once Disney came to town. These days they tend to consider the "metro" area to include 4 counties. It was only 3 as recently as 1990.
 
Harry Kar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 355
8
BSD Debian Open BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
By the way Tim for you Americans(from an into perspective) what places in US(very ample place) is considered good for living(climate+good people+enough work)?
 
Sheriff
Posts: 4568
286
Clojure IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Edge is out
 
Harry Kar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 355
8
BSD Debian Open BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tim Cooke wrote:Edge is out


happens also in the best families
 
Harry Kar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 355
8
BSD Debian Open BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
OT: Actually i haven't access in YT someone can post a song of Sinead O'konnor (don't remember the title but is that one with British soldiers and she with blonde hairs if I remember well) i guess I love so much Irish music
TIA
 
Tim Cooke
Sheriff
Posts: 4568
286
Clojure IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Sinead O'Connor doesn't usually have hair. Are you sure you're not thinking of The Cranberries? Probably the song Zombie?
 
Tim Holloway
Bartender
Posts: 19984
95
Android Eclipse IDE Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Harry Kar wrote:By the way Tim for you Americans(from an into perspective) what places in US(very ample place) is considered good for living(climate+good people+enough work)?



I couldn't say. Different people like different things. I live in a technological wasteland where salaries are low. But the climate is warm (well, not today, it's currently about 15°C outside), and the low salaries are somewhat mitigated by low taxes. Offset that by a lo-nn-ggg summer, when the forecast is almost invariable 35°, high humidity and 30% chance of thunderstorms. Lows about 28. Repeat from mid June to mid October. Used to be September, but that mythical Global Warming, don't you know (incidentally, it broke a record in Central Florida back around December 1. 90°F). Oh yes, and the occasional hurricane. The beaches are nice, though. Except during hurricanes.

For optimal year-round climate, Hawaii rules, but since it's a set of islands in the middle of the Pacific, everything has to be shipped in from far away and cost of living is high. Plus volcanoes and hurricanes. Minnesota is popular with emigrants from Scandinavia, and a lot of tech jobs were being advertised there recently. But you'd better like lots of snow. And ice fishing.

Obviously many people like New York. It has culture, lots of business. And pizza. Boston has MIT, Harvard, et. al. I liked their subway system. And I love visiting Chicago, which also tends to have a lot of tech jobs.

Then there's the West Coast, from Los Angeles up through San Francisco (which isn't afraid to outsource - I've never been west of Arizona, but some of my best customers are there), and of course, Washington State, home of Microsoft. Seattle is noted for being quite temperate considering its latitude, although it helps if you like drizzling rain. And legal marijuana is available in many places if you're into that sort of thing (I'm not, but I don't like beer, either).

Some people like the Research Triangle in North Carolina, home of Red Hat, as well as facilities for IBM, Apple and the like. You can pick mountains or seashore for vacation and the climate is a good compromise between the warmth of the South and the coolness of the North. In fact, they have a word for retirees who moved from up North to Florida, hated the heat and traffic and moved to Carolina: half-backs. As in moved halfway back North and made themselves doubly annoying. In Florida, we get annoyed when people say "We didn't do it that way back up North", but the half-backs complain from both directions. Now if they could just fix their election systems. They're making Fort Lauderdale look good by comparison.

And of course, if you're morally numb, there's always the environs of the nation's capital. Locus of the military-industrial complex, home to massive data centers like Amazon East, and infested with politicians of all shapes and sizes. Parking's a   though. Unless you've got diplomatic or government plates.

Anyway, people congregate all over the place, many in big cities, some preferring more rural locations, and not a few around the deserts. As I said, it's a matter of taste. You can get as good an idea from one of those "best places to live" slideshows on the Internet as from anything I could suggest.
 
Harry Kar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 355
8
BSD Debian Open BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tim Holloway wrote:

Harry Kar wrote:By the way Tim for you Americans(from an into perspective) what places in US(very ample place) is considered good for living(climate+good people+enough work)?



I couldn't say. Different people like different things. I live in a technological wasteland where salaries are low. But the climate is warm (well, not today, it's currently about 15°C outside), and the low salaries are somewhat mitigated by low taxes.



I actually live in a Mediterranean place where salaries are really negligible for the majority of people here and taxes are sproportionately very high. Actually climate is cold (4°C outside) we're in winter and humidity is relatively high(i hate high humidity I wasn't able to live in a city e.g.  Palermo Sicily without air-conditionig; there you have 70-90%  and 35-40°C in summer impossible to cope with without some aids like an air conditioner; likewise in the winter temperature is not too low but humidity "lower it" too much  . I remember when was younger a place near Vienna Austria dunno what humidity was(very very low) back then but impress me the fact that i needed only 3 hours of sleeping to equate the normal 7-8hours; i loved that)

Offset that by a lo-nn-ggg summer, when the forecast is almost invariable 35°, high humidity and 30% chance of thunderstorms. Lows about 28. Repeat from mid June to mid October. Used to be September, but that mythical Global Warming, don't you know (incidentally, it broke a record in Central Florida back around December 1. 90°F). Oh yes, and the occasional hurricane. The beaches are nice, though. Except during hurricanes.



Hopefully here in EU we haven't all that bad(and dangerous) natural phenomena thunderstorms, hurricanes and the likel and yes beaches are here too nice places ever and above all you can find beaches with warm waters too (i remember Atlantic was too cold for my taste) ;)

For optimal year-round climate, Hawaii rules, but since it's a set of islands in the middle of the Pacific, everything has to be shipped in from far away and cost of living is high. Plus volcanoes and hurricanes.



Huh the famous Hawaii 5-0 ever rules eh! My actual place claims just over 6,000 islands; 1,200 of them are large enough for habitation. Of the 1,200, only 22 of them actually have inhabitants. Almost 5 of  them are World Wide famous

Minnesota is popular with emigrants from Scandinavia, and a lot of tech jobs were being advertised there recently. But you'd better like lots of snow. And ice fishing.



That one looks weird ; Scandinavia has the best State of Justice system world wide AFAIK so far and  they go to N.America and we Mediterraneans go there(Scandinavia)  makes no sense to me

Obviously many people like New York. It has culture, lots of business. And pizza.



Italians are spread everywhere

Boston has MIT, Harvard, et. al. I liked their subway system. And I love visiting Chicago, which also tends to have a lot of tech jobs.



Yeah I know those places when I was greener happens to attend MIT and I loved North East cost(except cold waters) "the house  of the 8 great sisters"  although in the brief time i lived there I was very taken from campus life & school's stuff to look around.  

Then there's the West Coast, from Los Angeles up through San Francisco (which isn't afraid to outsource - I've never been west of Arizona, but some of my best customers are there), and of course, Washington State, home of Microsoft. Seattle is noted for being quite temperate considering its latitude, although it helps if you like drizzling rain.



When i retire i promise myself do a coast to coast such as Neil Young and others back then did

And legal marijuana is available in many places if you're into that sort of thing (I'm not, but I don't like beer, either).


I'm not too (although i did some when i was younger). I like a fresh beer(not whatever only good ones ) in summer but in winter i prefer some other drinks like good vines, bourbon, brandy etc I don't like "heavy metal" alcoholics like whiskey, jin, plain votka etc  

Some people like the Research Triangle in North Carolina, home of Red Hat, as well as facilities for IBM, Apple and the like. You can pick mountains or seashore for vacation and the climate is a good compromise between the warmth of the South and the coolness of the North. In fact, they have a word for retirees who moved from up North to Florida, hated the heat and traffic and moved to Carolina: half-backs. As in moved halfway back North and made themselves doubly annoying. In Florida, we get annoyed when people say "We didn't do it that way back up North", but the half-backs complain from both directions. Now if they could just fix their election systems. They're making Fort Lauderdale look good by comparison.



Lol good that "half-backs" one ; about Caroline you remind me John  Denver's song "Caroline in my mind"

... Parking's a   though. Unless you've got diplomatic or government plates.



Alas that's a very common problem everywhere almost in every central places I'm aware

Anyway, people congregate all over the place, many in big cities, some preferring more rural locations, and not a few around the deserts. As I said, it's a matter of taste. You can get as good an idea from one of those "best places to live" slideshows on the Internet as from anything I could suggest.



No need slides look about coast to coast trip ;) ; if it was for me I was a modern [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulliver%27s_Travels]Guliver[/url] and every time i have to travel for work i really enjoy it and they pay me too for that

we leaved out Alaskan's and Canadians but that's for the next trip

Thank you very much for the virtual trip Tim  i really appreciate
 
author
Posts: 23811
140
C++ Chrome Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java jQuery Linux VI Editor Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

From some reason, with a title like "Edge is out" and in the "Meaningless Drivel" forum, my first thought was that this would be a topic about the brand new Celebrity Edge...

Kinda disappointed now...

Henry
 
Harry Kar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 355
8
BSD Debian Open BSD
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Henry Wong wrote:
....my first thought was that this would be a topic about the brand new Celebrity Edge...



What's that(...brand new Celebrity Edge)?

 
Tim Holloway
Bartender
Posts: 19984
95
Android Eclipse IDE Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Harry Kar wrote:
I actually live in a Mediterranean place where salaries are really negligible for the majority of people here and taxes are sproportionately very high.



So, Greece? But I thought most such countries people deal with high taxes by dodging them.

Harry Kar wrote:Actually climate is cold (4°C outside) we're in winter and humidity is relatively high(i hate high humidity I wasn't able to live in a city e.g.  Palermo Sicily without air-conditionig; there you have 70-90%  and 35-40°C in summer impossible to cope with without some aids like an air conditioner; likewise in the winter temperature is not too low but humidity "lower it" too much  . I remember when was younger a place near Vienna Austria dunno what humidity was(very very low) back then but impress me the fact that i needed only 3 hours of sleeping to equate the normal 7-8hours; i loved that)

Yep, sounds like Florida, the State that Air Conditioning Made Possible.

It really is the humidity, not the heat. The record high temperature for Tampa, for example, is only 99°F. Or at least it was until recently. All bets are off now. But you can die from the insufferable heat in Tampa. Afternoon rains up here are usually about 5PM. Down there, it always seemed to simply get hotter and hotter - and muggier and muggier - as the sun went down until the whole world was a steaming dark blanket.

It's about 4°C outside right now. We're at the bottom of a cold snap and it's just about dawn. Although normal around here in the previous century would have been closer to 0. I used to expect the first serious freeze about December 24. Last year, I think I ran air conditioning in January. If not, at least was severely tempted to. And I like it a lot warmer than most people.

Harry Kar wrote:Hopefully here in EU we haven't all that bad(and dangerous) natural phenomena thunderstorms, hurricanes and the likel and yes beaches are here too nice places ever and above all you can find beaches with warm waters too (i remember Atlantic was too cold for my taste) ;)

It's warmer on this side. The Gulf of Mexico is one big shallow solar-heated bathtub. Warm water leaves it and wraps around Southern Florida, passing up the state in the Gulf Stream, and eventually makes Europe a lot warmer that its latitude would otherwise warrant. Most Atlantic hurricanes come from either the Sahara or from the Southern Caribbean, move West, then North, then East and eventually become sub-tropical, often dumping on England and Ireland. But I think one storm did try to barrel up the Mediterranean last Summer.

Harry Kar wrote:That one looks weird ; Scandinavia has the best State of Justice system world wide AFAIK so far and  they go to N.America and we Mediterraneans go there(Scandinavia)  makes no sense to me



Well, a map a few years back showed that the #1 state that Floridians emigrated to was Alaska. There's a change for you. But a lot of the immigrants came here in the 1800s and earlier and they often picked a place with similar climate and farming conditions to what they knew back home. Cincinnati was popular with Germans because it reminded them of the Rhine valley. Locally we have a lot of Arabs, but they're not Muslim, they're descendants of Christian (Orthodox) emigrants from Ramallah. Ramallah back then was minority-muslim but prosperous, so a lot of people established business interests elsewhere and eventually moved. Only recently have we had an influx of Muslims, but a lot of them are not Arab, they're Pakistani, Bangla, or SE Asian.

Obviously many people like New York. It has culture, lots of business. And pizza.


Harry Kar wrote:Italians are spread everywhere

That's because they bring the best food!

Harry Kar wrote:we leaved out Alaskan's and Canadians but that's for the next trip

Canada is a great country. Too cold for tropical me, though.
 
It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!