In SpringMVC application, we have a web.xml file and the project is packaged as a war file and deployed on a server. But, in case of SpringBoot, we don't specify any web.xml and the file is also a jar file.
I am wondering:
1. Do we really not need the web.xml? This must be there for a web application.
2. If there is no war file, then how it is able to server the web requests?
3. How the spring boot jar file runs on embedded tomcat?
Regarding to your questions, you can read Spring in Action 5th edition,
1. I think web.xml is optional with JEE framework or Spring framework.
2. In Springboot, the embedded server only requires jar file, not war file.
3. I don't know how the embedded Tomcat works in Springboot yet.