Win a copy of Succeeding with AI this week in the Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Paul Clapham
  • Ron McLeod
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Junilu Lacar
Sheriffs:
  • Tim Cooke
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Knute Snortum
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Moores
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Piet Souris
Bartenders:
  • salvin francis
  • fred rosenberger
  • Frits Walraven

Last certification issued by Sun, would like to know current process to sit for new exams

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 191
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I am from Singapore and the last time I posted anything here was 10 years ago!

I had obtained the SCJP 1.2 certificate and the SCWCD 1.4 certificate in 2000 and 2005 respectively. Those certificates were issued by Sun Microsystems, which had since been acquired by Oracle. As it's been a long time since I have gone for any certification exam, the process to apply to sit for the exams could be different now. So I have the following questions.

(1) Would my certification records and my personal details be in Oracle?

(2) If I want to sit for the 2 exams for new OCP Java SE 11 Developer certification, how can I go about it? Should I contact Oracle Singapore directly or register for the exams via Oracle Singapore's web site?

Thanks.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 46
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Edmund,
I don't have any answer for your first question. I would suggest to call oracle support center and ask your first question.
Regarding 2nd question: You need to clear two exams for this certification - 1Z0-815 and 1Z0-816. So when you are prepared for 1Z0-815, you can buy a Oracle Certification Proctored Exam Voucher from education.oracle.com. Link is https://education.oracle.com/certification-exam-vouchers. The voucher is valid for 6 months. After buying voucher, you need to schedule examination from Pearson Vue - https://home.pearsonvue.com/test-taker.aspx. Go to this link -> search for 1z0-815 -> login (create user id if you don't have) -> schedule exam(use your voucher here).
 
Edmund Yong
Ranch Hand
Posts: 191
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

Thanks for you reply. Why do we need to buy a voucher? From the below link, if you scroll down, you can see that there is a SCHEDULE YOUR EXAM NOW section where we can just register for an exam and pay with credit card.

Oracle Certification Exam Registration

Also, is the voucher applicable for exam taken in a specific country only?

As for my question on certificates issued by Sun, wouldn't it be relevant to anyone who has a certificate issued by Sun but now wants to sit for an upgrade exam? Surely Oracle would need to have that person's certification record to determine whether that person is eligible for the upgrade exam.

Thanks.
 
author & internet detective
Posts: 39959
804
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Edmund Yong wrote:(1) Would my certification records and my personal details be in Oracle?


No. But it doesn't matter since the 1.2 isn't a pre-req for the exam.
 
Edmund Yong
Ranch Hand
Posts: 191
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Jeanne,

I refer to the following posts.

https://coderanch.com/t/675817/certification/Upgrade-Java-SE-OCP-Java

https://coderanch.com/t/661647/certification/Oracle-University-CertView-Authentication

So my Sun certification records are not in Oracle. But would it be better if I were to register my old cert info with Oracle, as mentioned by you in the first post above?

I'm still not clear about registering for a new exam. Do I just purchase a voucher or register for an exam and pay by credit card? Do I need to first create a Pearson VUE account, as mentioned in the second post above?


 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Posts: 39959
804
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Edmund Yong wrote:So my Sun certification records are not in Oracle. But would it be better if I were to register my old cert info with Oracle, as mentioned by you in the first post above?


No. The only reason I can think of to register the exam with Oracle is if you needed it for a pre-req. For example, I took part of the SCEA before the name change. So I needed that as a pre-req for parts 2 and 3. For you, it just seems like unnecessary work.

Edmund Yong wrote:I'm still not clear about registering for a new exam. Do I just purchase a voucher or register for an exam and pay by credit card? Do I need to first create a Pearson VUE account, as mentioned in the second post above?


It depends where you live. In the US, you create a Pearson VUE account, sign up for an exam and by credit card. In some countries, the voucher approach is popular.
 
Edmund Yong
Ranch Hand
Posts: 191
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Jeanne,

I bought your new book a few days ago, and I have already started reading it.

I am still not clear on the exam registration though. I have an existing Oracle account (using my personal e-mail ID) which I can use to download the SDK. In the Pearson VUE web site for Oracle, if I select "Sign In", and then "Create a web account" on the next page, I will be asked to fill in personal information on the next page. There is a field "Do you know your Oracle Testing ID?". What is this Oracle Testing ID? Is this where I enter my e-mail ID for my existing Oracle account?

I am not clear on how they link the above Pearson VUE account to Oracle, so that exam results will be reflected on Oracle side. Is this through the Oracle Testing ID?
 
Enthuware Software Support
Posts: 4419
41
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Edmund Yong wrote:Hi Jeanne,

I bought your new book a few days ago, and I have already started reading it.

I am still not clear on the exam registration though. I have an existing Oracle account (using my personal e-mail ID) which I can use to download the SDK. In the Pearson VUE web site for Oracle, if I select "Sign In", and then "Create a web account" on the next page, I will be asked to fill in personal information on the next page. There is a field "Do you know your Oracle Testing ID?". What is this Oracle Testing ID? Is this where I enter my e-mail ID for my existing Oracle account?

I am not clear on how they link the above Pearson VUE account to Oracle, so that exam results will be reflected on Oracle side. Is this through the Oracle Testing ID?



Yes, it is through Oracle testing id. Oracle has all the details about your previous test history (including the ones you took when Java was with Sun). In fact, if you try to register a new account (with same name and other details), Oracle tries to merge the new account with the old one automatically (but don't rely on that). It is better to contact Oracle support directly and ask for your Oracle testing id.  They will provide you the id using your details. They may also ask you to create a new ID and then attach your old Sun test history with that new ID. You can use that ID to schedule the exam with Pearson vue.
 
Edmund Yong
Ranch Hand
Posts: 191
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Paul Anilprem wrote:

Yes, it is through Oracle testing id. Oracle has all the details about your previous test history (including the ones you took when Java was with Sun). In fact, if you try to register a new account (with same name and other details), Oracle tries to merge the new account with the old one automatically (but don't rely on that). It is better to contact Oracle support directly and ask for your Oracle testing id.  They will provide you the id using your details. They may also ask you to create a new ID and then attach your old Sun test history with that new ID. You can use that ID to schedule the exam with Pearson vue.


Hi Paul,

According to what Jeanne replied previously, our Sun certification results and personal details would not be ported over to Oracle. So it is quite a surprise to me now that you are saying the opposite.

My last Sun certification was taken in 2005. I create an Oracle account using my email address only in 2016, so I'm sure that this has nothing related to the Oracle Testing ID then.
 
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Posts: 4419
41
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Edmund Yong wrote:

Paul Anilprem wrote:

Yes, it is through Oracle testing id. Oracle has all the details about your previous test history (including the ones you took when Java was with Sun). In fact, if you try to register a new account (with same name and other details), Oracle tries to merge the new account with the old one automatically (but don't rely on that). It is better to contact Oracle support directly and ask for your Oracle testing id.  They will provide you the id using your details. They may also ask you to create a new ID and then attach your old Sun test history with that new ID. You can use that ID to schedule the exam with Pearson vue.


Hi Paul,

According to what Jeanne replied previously, our Sun certification results and personal details would not be ported over to Oracle. So it is quite a surprise to me now that you are saying the opposite.

My last Sun certification was taken in 2005. I create an Oracle account using my email address only in 2016, so I'm sure that this has nothing related to the Oracle Testing ID then.



They had my SCJP 1.2 certificate. May be they changed their policy now. Either way, better to call them up.
 
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Posts: 4419
41
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Paul Anilprem wrote:

Edmund Yong wrote:

Paul Anilprem wrote:

Yes, it is through Oracle testing id. Oracle has all the details about your previous test history (including the ones you took when Java was with Sun). In fact, if you try to register a new account (with same name and other details), Oracle tries to merge the new account with the old one automatically (but don't rely on that). It is better to contact Oracle support directly and ask for your Oracle testing id.  They will provide you the id using your details. They may also ask you to create a new ID and then attach your old Sun test history with that new ID. You can use that ID to schedule the exam with Pearson vue.


Hi Paul,

According to what Jeanne replied previously, our Sun certification results and personal details would not be ported over to Oracle. So it is quite a surprise to me now that you are saying the opposite.

My last Sun certification was taken in 2005. I create an Oracle account using my email address only in 2016, so I'm sure that this has nothing related to the Oracle Testing ID then.



They had my SCJP 1.2 certificate. May be they changed their policy now. Either way, better to call them up.


See this Oracle Blog about Former Sun Certification History Now in CertView . It is old, so it is possible that they have stopped caring about it now.

On Oracle's certview page, this is what they have written:


Your exam was taken under a different Oracle Testing ID than the one used to authenticate your CertView account.
Contact www.pearsonvue.com/oracle/ to merge your IDs (provide all IDs under which you have taken exams or submitted forms and confirm which ID should be the surviving ID). The ‘surviving ID’ should be the ID you used to authenticate your CertView account. It will show up on your "Certification History" page in CertView.
Check certview.oracle.com to confirm when IDs are merged and all requirements show up under one record.



So, again, it is best to sort it out by talking directly to Oracle and/or Pearson Vue.
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 18
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Edmund Yong wrote:Hi,

I am from Singapore and the last time I posted anything here was 10 years ago!

I had obtained the SCJP 1.2 certificate and the SCWCD 1.4 certificate in 2000 and 2005 respectively. Those certificates were issued by Sun Microsystems, which had since been acquired by Oracle. As it's been a long time since I have gone for any certification exam, the process to apply to sit for the exams could be different now. So I have the following questions.

(1) Would my certification records and my personal details be in Oracle?

(2) If I want to sit for the 2 exams for new OCP Java SE 11 Developer certification, how can I go about it? Should I contact Oracle Singapore directly or register for the exams via Oracle Singapore's web site?

Thanks.



I was in same situation like you and below discussion might help you

https://coderanch.com/t/719282/certification/advice-certification-upgrade-Exam


Here is the steps suggested by Anthony Tsang

1. Login Oracle CertView. Create an Oracle account if you don't have one.
2. You will be asked to provide an Oracle Testing ID in PearsonVUE. If you don't have one, follow the guide to create one in PearsonVUE. It takes a few days for PearsonVUE to generate an Oracle testing ID for your account.
3. Login Oracle CertView and enter your Oracle Testing ID. Your Oracle account is now linked to your PearsonVUE account.
4. Probably you can't find your SCJP in your certification history. Now, open the Support page and you will be redirected to a list of FAQ.
5. Expand any of them, and click "Log Ticket" button.
6. Fill in the support form to ask for displaying your SCJP in the certification history. Provide as much information of your SCJP as possible. (I even scanned my hardcopy SCJP certificate and upload with the support form)
7. A support log is now created. You will receive email notification upon any reply from the Oracle support team. They will guide you for the ongoing steps.

It took me about 1 week to have my SCJP displayed in CertView. During the process you will be contacting Oracle support team and PearsonVUE back and forth. Oracle support team is helpful and efficient, so don't worry.
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Posts: 39959
804
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I heard from people who had to manually request Sun certs be loaded. So the migration was "inconsistent"
 
Edmund Yong
Ranch Hand
Posts: 191
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Skumar Patel wrote:
I was in same situation like you and below discussion might help you

https://coderanch.com/t/719282/certification/advice-certification-upgrade-Exam


Here is the steps suggested by Anthony Tsang

1. Login Oracle CertView. Create an Oracle account if you don't have one.
2. You will be asked to provide an Oracle Testing ID in PearsonVUE. If you don't have one, follow the guide to create one in PearsonVUE. It takes a few days for PearsonVUE to generate an Oracle testing ID for your account.
3. Login Oracle CertView and enter your Oracle Testing ID. Your Oracle account is now linked to your PearsonVUE account.
4. Probably you can't find your SCJP in your certification history. Now, open the Support page and you will be redirected to a list of FAQ.
5. Expand any of them, and click "Log Ticket" button.
6. Fill in the support form to ask for displaying your SCJP in the certification history. Provide as much information of your SCJP as possible. (I even scanned my hardcopy SCJP certificate and upload with the support form)
7. A support log is now created. You will receive email notification upon any reply from the Oracle support team. They will guide you for the ongoing steps.

It took me about 1 week to have my SCJP displayed in CertView. During the process you will be contacting Oracle support team and PearsonVUE back and forth. Oracle support team is helpful and efficient, so don't worry.



Hi,

Since I last did my Sun certification in 2005, and never done any other certification after that, can I say that at this point, I do not have an Oracle Testing ID yet?

For step 1, I am able to login Oracle CertView using my Oracle account (this was created in 2016 using my e-mail address).

For step 2, I go to  Pearson VUE web site, then select "Create account" on the right. On the next page, am I supposed to select "No, I do not know my Oracle Testing ID."?

So Oracle Testing ID is supposed to be created in Person VUE first then?

When I did my Sun certification back then, there was this Prometric thing. There is also a Sun Cert Manager site which I can login, I still have a number with this format: SPXXXXXXX. This is not related to the Oracle Testing ID then?

Is there an Oracle support e-mail that I can ask first, before I proceed with the above?

 
Edmund Yong
Ranch Hand
Posts: 191
1
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I realized that the Prometric ID that I have, SPXXXXXXX, is actually the Oracle Testing ID. So I logged in to Oracle CertView using my Oracle account credentials. After providing my Oracle Testing ID (Prometric Testing ID) and the e-mail address that I used for Prometric, I am able to see my previous Sun Java certifications there! I don't even have to ask Oracle support for help!
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Posts: 39959
804
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks for posting the answer. Prometric was long enough ago that it's hard to remember!
 
If a regular clown is funny, then a larger clown would be funnier. Math. Verified by this tiny ad:
Two software engineers solve most of the world's problems in one K&R sized book
https://coderanch.com/wiki/718759/books/Building-World-Backyard-Paul-Wheaton
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic