• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Paul Clapham
  • Ron McLeod
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Junilu Lacar
  • Henry Wong
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Jj Roberts
  • Tim Holloway
  • Piet Souris
Bartenders:
  • Himai Minh
  • Carey Brown
  • salvin francis

Passed the OCP upgrade exam 1z0-817 (jdk 6,7,8 to JDK11) - 76%

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 2
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I recently passed this exam. I was not aiming for a perfect score but instead wanted to fast forward to what has happened to Java after version 6 (and wow I was amazed by it) - so my aim was to just learn as much as I can while my 2 year old is asleep during nights. :P

I would like to thank Bert and Kathy for keeping the OCP certification book very much alive and interesting to read (totally worth the hard copy I brought from amazon). The last I read was when it was still with Sun (version 6 of jdk). The book still has its spark and this was my primary reference to pass the exam. I did not take any exam simulator, neither did I finish the exams that came with the book (Nit: CD ROMS are so 2013 :P).

For the upgrade exam it was heavy on Streams / Lambdas and Modularity. It was also very current with using streams - especially with var types, and with recent enhancements after jdk8. The book strengthened my fundamentals about the topic except Modularity. Since I am a big red employee, I got hold of the jdk 11 modularity training that Oracle provides:

https://education.oracle.com/java-se-exploiting-modularity-and-other-new-features/courP_8937

I highly recommend it to anyone (shameless plug) who wants to pursue the exam - it pretty much covers whatever gap is left between jdk 8 and 11... until B n K comes up with a more recent book ;)
 
Enthuware Software Support
Posts: 4478
43
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

chelios chev wrote:I recently passed this exam. I was not aiming for a perfect score but instead wanted to fast forward to what has happened to Java after version 6 (and wow I was amazed by it) - so my aim was to just learn as much as I can while my 2 year old is asleep during nights. :P

I would like to thank Bert and Kathy for keeping the OCP certification book very much alive and interesting to read (totally worth the hard copy I brought from amazon). The last I read was when it was still with Sun (version 6 of jdk). The book still has its spark and this was my primary reference to pass the exam. I did not take any exam simulator, neither did I finish the exams that came with the book (Nit: CD ROMS are so 2013 :P).

For the upgrade exam it was heavy on Streams / Lambdas and Modularity. It was also very current with using streams - especially with var types, and with recent enhancements after jdk8. The book strengthened my fundamentals about the topic except Modularity. Since I am a big red employee, I got hold of the jdk 11 modularity training that Oracle provides:

https://education.oracle.com/java-se-exploiting-modularity-and-other-new-features/courP_8937

I highly recommend it to anyone (shameless plug) who wants to pursue the exam - it pretty much covers whatever gap is left between jdk 8 and 11... until B n K comes up with a more recent book ;)


Congratulations on passing and thanks for sharing your experience!
 
Bartender
Posts: 3658
38
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulation Chelios !

You must be the first here who taken 1Z0-817 :-)
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 415
8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
 
chelios chev
Greenhorn
Posts: 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
thanks folks !
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, congrats!!!

I'm going to take the same exam later this month.
Witch book do you recommend? is the course provided by oracle worth it?

Thanxs!!
 
Mikalai Zaikin
Bartender
Posts: 3658
38
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Alberto Ibarra wrote:Hi, congrats!!!

I'm going to take the same exam later this month.
Witch book do you recommend? is the course provided by oracle worth it?

Thanxs!!



Hi,
Check the free study notes for 1Z0-817, the link in my signature.
Cheers,
MZ
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 62
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulations on passing and thanks for sharing your experience!

Good Luck
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mikalai Zaikin wrote:

Alberto Ibarra wrote:Hi, congrats!!!

I'm going to take the same exam later this month.
Witch book do you recommend? is the course provided by oracle worth it?

Thanxs!!



Hi,
Check the free study notes for 1Z0-817, the link in my signature.
Cheers,
MZ



Hi Mikalai, your link to the study notes is offline. Can I find it elsewhere?
 
author & internet detective
Posts: 40282
819
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Bustanil Arifin wrote:Hi Mikalai, your link to the study notes is offline. Can I find it elsewhere?


It's working now: http://java.boot.by/ocpjd11-upgrade-guide/

Can you try again?
 
Bustanil Arifin
Greenhorn
Posts: 2
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:you try again?



I can access it now, thanks.
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 14
Python Angular Framework Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mikalai Zaikin wrote:

Alberto Ibarra wrote:Hi, congrats!!!

I'm going to take the same exam later this month.
Witch book do you recommend? is the course provided by oracle worth it?

Thanxs!!



Hi,
Check the free study notes for 1Z0-817, the link in my signature.
Cheers,
MZ



Hi Milalai,

I am OCP SE 6.  I studied your upgrade to OCP 7 and Upgrade to OCP 8 notes . If i read your notes for IZ0-817 is it enough to pass

regards
Harsha Kumar S
 
Mikalai Zaikin
Bartender
Posts: 3658
38
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Harsha kumar Reddy wrote:

Mikalai Zaikin wrote:

Alberto Ibarra wrote:Hi, congrats!!!

I'm going to take the same exam later this month.
Witch book do you recommend? is the course provided by oracle worth it?

Thanxs!!



Hi,
Check the free study notes for 1Z0-817, the link in my signature.
Cheers,
MZ



Hi Milalai,

I am OCP SE 6.  I studied your upgrade to OCP 7 and Upgrade to OCP 8 notes . If i read your notes for IZ0-817 is it enough to pass

regards
Harsha Kumar S



Hi Harsha,

For some reason I thought your question was addressed to me, although you asked "Milalai" for advice.

I would recommend you to use some other study sources, for example, Code Ranch runs promotion now for "The Java Module System" book by Nicolai Parlog https://coderanch.com/t/715738/java/Nicolai-Parlog

Best regards,
Mikalai Zaikin
 
Harsha kumar Reddy
Greenhorn
Posts: 14
Python Angular Framework Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mikalai Zaikin wrote:

Harsha kumar Reddy wrote:

Mikalai Zaikin wrote:

Alberto Ibarra wrote:Hi, congrats!!!

I'm going to take the same exam later this month.
Witch book do you recommend? is the course provided by oracle worth it?

Thanxs!!



Hi,
Check the free study notes for 1Z0-817, the link in my signature.
Cheers,
MZ



Hi Milalai,

I am OCP SE 6.  I studied your upgrade to OCP 7 and Upgrade to OCP 8 notes . If i read your notes for IZ0-817 is it enough to pass

regards
Harsha Kumar S



Hi Harsha,

For some reason I thought your question was addressed to me, although you asked "Milalai" for advice.

I would recommend you to use some other study sources, for example, Code Ranch runs promotion now for "The Java Module System" book by Nicolai Parlog https://coderanch.com/t/715738/java/Nicolai-Parlog

Best regards,
Mikalai Zaikin



Hi Mikalai ,

        It may be not be complete study material but it is always good starting point for people like me who want to upgrade ourselves quickly . I appreciate your work

regards
HKR
 
Mikalai Zaikin
Bartender
Posts: 3658
38
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Harsha, there were no study guides specifically for upgrade exams, IIRC.
If you wish a guide specifically for an exam, there will be 1Z0-815 or 1Z0-816 books from Jeanne (but not for 1Z0-817)
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Posts: 40282
819
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mikalai Zaikin wrote:Harsha, there were no study guides specifically for upgrade exams, IIRC.
If you wish a guide specifically for an exam, there will be 1Z0-815 or 1Z0-816 books from Jeanne (but not for 1Z0-817)


Mikalai: Our 816 book is going to cover both 816 and 817. (We did the same thing for Java 8; covered the upgrade specific material in an appendix)
 
Mikalai Zaikin
Bartender
Posts: 3658
38
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Jeanne! Thank you for clarification.  
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Mikalai,

I have finally found some time to upgrade my Java 6 certification and trying to attempt the upgrade to Java 11. I have tried to download your study notes but the link seems to be broken. Is there any way I could get that?

Thanks,
Mino
 
Mikalai Zaikin
Bartender
Posts: 3658
38
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mino Riestra Artime wrote:Hi Mikalai,
I have finally found some time to upgrade my Java 6 certification and trying to attempt the upgrade to Java 11. I have tried to download your study notes but the link seems to be broken. Is there any way I could get that?



Hi Mino,

Thanks for the heads up. Indeed DNS is failing, but the web site is up and perfectly stable.

Let me share a secret link with you: http://javaboot45.7rw.ru    

Have fun !  

Cheers,
MZ
 
Mino Riestra Artime
Greenhorn
Posts: 2
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Works like a charm, thanks!!
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Mikalai!

Thank you for putting up the study guide:) I had been looking for it for a few days now.  Read about it in Jeanne's blog where it came recommended for the exam preparation, but the link on there to the study guide is broken.

The latest one you shared with Mino works well :) except that the links on the Quiz page are still broken:(

http://java.boot.by/ocpjd11-upgrade-quiz/contact.html#c1s1

could there be another secret link? ;)

Thank you,
Roopa
 
Marshal
Posts: 70998
291
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome to the Ranch

I can't get your link to open.
 
Mikalai Zaikin
Bartender
Posts: 3658
38
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Sorry guys, I cannot get DNS up, temporarily updated links in signature to point directly to hoster's site. Happy learning 8)
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 70998
291
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Is this the corrected link?
 
Mikalai Zaikin
Bartender
Posts: 3658
38
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yes sir
 
Roopa Mohan
Greenhorn
Posts: 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Campbell Ritchie wrote:Welcome to the Ranch

I can't get your link to open.



Thank you!

What I couldn't couldn't do earlier was access the quiz linked to the topics on here  http://javaboot45.7rw.ru/ocpjd11-upgrade-quiz/

But it seems to work now so all good
 
This looks like a job for .... legal tender! It says so right in this tiny ad:
Building a Better World in your Backyard by Paul Wheaton and Shawn Klassen-Koop
https://coderanch.com/wiki/718759/books/Building-World-Backyard-Paul-Wheaton
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic