This week's book giveaway is in the Programmer Certification forum.
We're giving away four copies of OCP Oracle Certified Professional Java SE 11 Programmer I Study Guide: Exam 1Z0-815 and have Jeanne Boyarsky & Scott Selikoff on-line!
See this thread for details.
Win a copy of OCP Oracle Certified Professional Java SE 11 Programmer I Study Guide: Exam 1Z0-815 this week in the Programmer Certification forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Junilu Lacar
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Bear Bibeault
Sheriffs:
  • Knute Snortum
  • Devaka Cooray
  • Tim Cooke
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Ron McLeod
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Paweł Baczyński
  • Piet Souris
  • Vijitha Kumara

Feel Stuck in Life

 
Rancher
Posts: 399
7
Android Tomcat Server Java
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The time in Malaysia now  is 2:15 am where I believe most of the Malaysian are sleeping now.  

While me still sitting in front of laptop, thinking how to solve programming problem, which has stuck me for almost three days.

Sometime I would like to think does this job is right for me?

I like to code. I almost code when I'm free. I don't mind to help others, because I know I can learn while helping others.
But, I easily to get stuck!

At first I thought that I getting stuck is because lacking of programming skill. Sooner I realize that the main problem is not because of the skill, is because of the logic.
It takes me plenty of time to solve even though the question might sound simple to others.

Are there any way to  improve my logical thinking?

Programming skill can be improved by reading and writting, but how about logical thinking?  


 
Greenhorn
Posts: 22
1
Netbeans IDE Oracle Java
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Randy Tong wrote:The time in Malaysia now  is 2:15 am where I believe most of the Malaysian are sleeping now.  

Me, an Android developer (which have been working for half year) still sitting in front of laptop, thinking how to solve programming problem, which has stuck me for almost three days.

Sometime I would like to think does this job is right for me?

I like to code. I almost code when I'm free. I don't mind to help others, because I know I can learn while helping others.
But, I easily to get stuck!

At first I thought that I getting stuck is because lacking of programming skill. Sooner I realize that the main problem is not because of the skill, is because of the logic.
It takes me plenty of time to solve even though the question might sound simple to others.

Are there any way to  improve my logical thinking?

Programming skill can be improved by reading and writting, but how about logical thinking?  


I easily got stuck also   but Sir Ronald Tong help and guide me to in my programming!
I think to improve logical thinking is experiencing things and learning from others  I'm one of the stuck students helped by Ronald Tong
And I'm looking forward to learn and have fun memories on this forum my family    
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 574
VI Editor Chrome Linux
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
2 suggestions.  First, walk away from it.  Go to bed, take a shower, go for a walk.  Let your subconscious mull it over for a while.  This sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised how often it works.

Second, explain the problem to someone else.  Often times the act of making them understand the issues forces you to re-examine the issues, leading to the solution.

CSB.  Early 80s, doing 8086 assembly.  Was meeting some co-workers at a bar with a band.  I got there early and grabbed a 4 person table.  Place filled up, some guy I didn't know came up and asked if he could join me.  Told him sure.  Few minutes later my 2 buddies show up.  We start talking shop.  We had a problem, we knew what the problem was, and had no clue how to fix it.  The stranger popped in with "Um, do you have the source code?"  Yeppers, we wrote the source code.  He came up with a brilliant solution:  "Why don't you fix it with the text editor?"
 
Rancher
Posts: 833
19
Netbeans IDE Oracle MySQL Database Tomcat Server C++ Java
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Randy,

Jim Venolia gave a sage piece of advice when he said: walk away from it... I started my grand venture in programming by taking a general engineering course.  My prof there told us the very same thing: when you work to futility, walk away. Go do something else, have fun, but don't think of the problem any more, but be sure you have a pencil and piece of paper at your bedside because your subconscious mind is going to work on that and find a solution.

Are you really asking if there is a way to improve your logic?  The answer there is yes, get a symbolic logic text and read it.  It was required course in my computer science curriculum at the university I attended for my computer science degree.  I think, though you as about logic, what you really want to know is how to improve your problem solving, algorithm building, skills.  The best answer there that I have is: solve more problems!  Not just programming problems either.  People ask me how I acquired the skills of programming, and to that I have to answer this: it started out when I was very young, my father was an automobile mechanic and home "do it yoursselfer".  He included me in his mania for working on cars and love of fixing things.  By the time I was graduated HS I literally was a journeyman level mechanic with 1000's of hours of problem solving, diagnosing and solving mechanical problems, to my credit.  There was the start of me becoming a computer programmer and developing the skills to so become.

Great you say, I don't have a mechanic father that will help me diagnose and fix cars.  Problem solving is problem solving, you have to develop a way that works for you to tackle something that you may not be able to wrap your head around at first.  How? you may ask.  I would say: have you ever eaten a water melon?  Your response will be, "of course not", but if I ask, "In all of your life, do you think you have eaten enough water melon to equal the weight of a whole water melon?"  You answer would probably include: "of course".  You did that by eating one bite at a time.  The same is true for problem solving.

The largest problem is nothing more than the sum of all the little problems that make it up.  Lean to recognize the little problems that make up the whole, then chip away at the little problems until you can wrap your head around the enormity of the whole.

I had a Math instructor that gave us these same words: "There is no magic."  I don't remember the exact wording of the rest, but he explained that Math is a collection of rules, procedures to follow, and if you know them, then you'll have an easy time of it.  He was right, but that same logic applies to all things--know the rules and how to apply them and it becomes easy.  Programming is that way too: identify the problem, break it into it's simplest sub components, and start from the end and work back to the beginning for implementation.--a "ground up" approach.  It really works.

At about this time in my speeches to up coming programmers I throw in: get the book "The Mythical Man Month".  Will it help me? you may ask.  I don't know is always my reply, but it's a good short read, and it may keep your from blowing your foot off before you start the journey sometime.  I have referenced it continually since my required reading of it in one of my computer science courses.  I was actually able to quote a line from it, "You cannot put 9 women in the room and tell them to make a baby in 1 month.", to a supervisor of mine and I got away with it because it is a classic work concerning computer development.  That was well worth the read in and of itself!

Any way Randy, remember to have fun, and don't be afraid to entertain the absurd as a possible solution--doing so have saved my bacon many times, and people are in awe of some of the solutions that it has led to development.

Les
 
Rancher
Posts: 506
6
IntelliJ IDE Spring Fedora
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think a good way to improve logic and problem solving is to do programming puzzles that involve data structures and algorithms.  It will help you approach real problems you encounter at work.  

Also, what Les said about walking away is golden advice.  I have had a few times where I felt like a hit a wall then after resting a day or two it seemed so simple.  
 
Randy Tong
Rancher
Posts: 399
7
Android Tomcat Server Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jasper Abapo wrote:I easily got stuck also   but Sir Ronald Tong help and guide me to in my programming!
I think to improve logical thinking is experiencing things and learning from others  I'm one of the stuck students helped by Ronald Tong
And I'm looking forward to learn and have fun memories on this forum my family    


Hi Jasper,
All the best to your project. I hope you have fun on this forum.
If you encounter any issue, don't hesitate to ask me or here. I will help you if I can.
 
Randy Tong
Rancher
Posts: 399
7
Android Tomcat Server Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jim Venolia wrote:... We had a problem, we knew what the problem was, and had no clue how to fix it.  The stranger popped in with "Um, do you have the source code?"  Yeppers, we wrote the source code.  He came up with a brilliant solution:  "Why don't you fix it with the text editor?"


Hi Jim Venolia,
I agree with your suggestions. I decided to start workout on next month. I believe exercise or go for a tea will help to freshen up my mind.
Also thank you for sharing your own story to me, but I not really getting your point. Did you mean the guy suggest you all to write down the alogrithm before turning them to source code?
 
Randy Tong
Rancher
Posts: 399
7
Android Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Les Morgan wrote:Any way Randy, remember to have fun, and don't be afraid to entertain the absurd as a possible solution--doing so have saved my bacon many times, and people are in awe of some of the solutions that it has led to development.
Les


Hi Les,
Thank you for the response. I really appreciate you taking the time to write all that.
I remember quite clearly there were someone asking me do they need to be good in math to be programmer?
Before that my answer was no, but after reading your post, I'm going against the grain and saying YES. We need a math mindset which able to construct and manipulate mental models of what our program is doing!
 
Randy Tong
Rancher
Posts: 399
7
Android Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Al Hobbs wrote:I think a good way to improve logic and problem solving is to do programming puzzles that involve data structures and algorithms.  It will help you approach real problems you encounter at work.  

Also, what Les said about walking away is golden advice.  I have had a few times where I felt like a hit a wall then after resting a day or two it seemed so simple.  


I'm going to expose various other algorithms and design patterns to help with my logic part.  
 
Jasper Abapo
Greenhorn
Posts: 22
1
Netbeans IDE Oracle Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Randy Tong wrote:

Jasper Abapo wrote:I easily got stuck also   but Sir Ronald Tong helped and guide me in my programming!
I think to improve logical thinking is experiencing things and learning from others  I'm one of the stuck students helped by Ronald Tong
And I'm looking forward to learn and have fun memories on this forum my family    


Hi Jasper,
All the best to your project. I hope you have fun on this forum.
If you encounter any issue, don't hesitate to ask me or here. I will help you if I can.



Thank you very much Sir Randy,
Your always helping me and I promise I won't hesitate to ask questions and help to you 😊✨
 
Sheriff
Posts: 24660
58
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Randy Tong wrote:I remember quite clearly there were someone asking me do they need to be good in math to be programmer?
Before that my answer was no, but after reading your post, I'm going against the grain and saying YES. We need a math mindset which able to construct and manipulate mental models of what our program is doing!



Many people think that if you're good at math then you can do things like multiply 27 times 16 in your head. But I'm glad to see you have a more accurate mental picture of what math actually is. It's not just arithmetic, it's much more about building structures of abstract objects and working with the properties of those structures. So yeah, if you're designing an application then you need to consider some abstract objects (even pizzas and toppings could qualify) and then build structures of those objects (put chosen toppings on a pizza) which you can work with (find the price of the pizza with those toppings).
 
Jim Venolia
Ranch Hand
Posts: 574
VI Editor Chrome Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
No, you don't have to be good at math.  You have to be good at logical thinking.  If your good at math you are almost certainly good at logical thinking, but the reverse is not true.

Says the guy with the B.S. in Applied Math  I seldom used math in my career, and that was when I was implementing things like Kalman filters and processing sonar data.  The most math I ever used was when I went off on a tangent.

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I am not a professional in the field you are following, but I would like to give you some pieces of advice if you feel stuck everytime solving any problems. Just relax and sleep first, then read book and take a cup of tea for better feeling before coming back to work. Just give yourself more time to be completely from work so that your brain is not overloaded or stressed. When you are totally "fine", it's time to solve, at least you make yourself better. Hope this might help!
 
That's a very big dog. I think I want to go home now and hug this tiny ad:
Java file APIs (DOC, XLS, PDF, and many more)
https://products.aspose.com/total/java
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!