This week's book giveaway is in the General Computing forum.
We're giving away four copies of Emmy in the Key of Code and have Aimee Lucido on-line!
See this thread for details.
Win a copy of Emmy in the Key of Code this week in the General Computing forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Junilu Lacar
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Bear Bibeault
Sheriffs:
  • Knute Snortum
  • Devaka Cooray
  • Tim Cooke
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Ron McLeod
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Paweł Baczyński
  • Piet Souris
  • Vijitha Kumara

I recently passed OCA Java 8. Need some advice on what to do next.

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Two months ago I passed my OCA Java 8 exam (thanks Jeanne and Scott!). And I'm hungry for more! I am however a bit confused by the new exams and how it all fits together. The way I see it I can do two things:

- Look towards the new Java SE 11 Programmer II
- Go for the 'old' OCP Java 8

I have some questions on both routes... I've read that with OCA Java 8 you can skip SE 11 Programmer I. This sounds great, but I also read that Java 11 Programmer I is vastly different than OCA Java 8. And since Java 11 Programmer II will assume you have the knowledge of Java 11 Programmer I I'm worried that this will cause gaps in my knowledge for the exam. Is this a legit worry?

If I start working towards OCP Java 8 right now, how big is the chance that the exam will be phased out in the next 4 months? This is roughly the amount of time I want to take to study.

In either case it's an interesting time to work on your Java certification. Thanks for any insight!
 
Marshal
Posts: 66135
250
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome to the Ranch
Do you need the OCP/part II certification at all? Would that make it easier to get a job? If you have a job already, do your employers require you to sit those exams? If you have several years' experience, do you need a new cert?

If i remember correctly, Oracle give lots of notice before withdrawing an exam, much more than four months, so you don't have to worry about practising for a non‑existent test.
 
Henk Smit
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Campbell Ritchie wrote:Welcome to the Ranch
Do you need the OCP/part II certification at all? Would that make it easier to get a job? If you have a job already, do your employers require you to sit those exams? If you have several years' experience, do you need a new cert?

If i remember correctly, Oracle give lots of notice before withdrawing an exam, much more than four months, so you don't have to worry about practising for a non‑existent test.



Thank you!

Getting this certification is more of a hobby. I'm slowly transferring into a developer position at work and I'm doing this on my initiative. As I do intend to pursue this path, I can imagine Java 11 would be better... but as I understand it now it comes at the cost of increased difficulty. So really, I can go both ways.
 
Enthuware Software Support
Posts: 4354
39
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Past history shows that there is little chance of OCP 8 getting phased out in the next 4 months. I wouldn't worry about it.

Henk Smit wrote:
Getting this certification is more of a hobby.



Given that it is more of a hobby, OCP 11 part 2 (1Z0-816) would be a better option because it is, after all, the latest certification. In terms of difficulty, it is not any more difficult that the old OCP 8. Only a few topics have changed but that should be ok. Lack of a study guide does make it more difficult to prepare for and if that is your concern then you can go with OCP 8. I believe Jeanne's OCP 11 book will be out in the next 2-3 months anyway and our mock exams for 816 are already available.
 
Henk Smit
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Paul Anilprem wrote:Past history shows that there is little chance of OCP 8 getting phased out in the next 4 months. I wouldn't worry about it.

Henk Smit wrote:
Getting this certification is more of a hobby.



Given that it is more of a hobby, OCP 11 part 2 (1Z0-816) would be a better option because it is, after all, the latest certification. In terms of difficulty, it is not any more difficult that the old OCP 8. Only a few topics have changed but that should be ok. Lack of a study guide does make it more difficult to prepare for and if that is your concern then you can go with OCP 8. I believe Jeanne's OCP 11 book will be out in the next 2-3 months anyway and our mock exams for 816 are already available.



Thank you!

I might just work my way through the Java 8 OCP study guide now in anticipation of the new Java 11 version by Jeanne and Scott... surely not all that I learn is a waste if I go for OCP 11 part 2? Knowledge = knowledge.
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 66135
250
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Henk Smit wrote:. . . Knowledge = knowledge.

Exactly.
 
author & internet detective
Posts: 39582
781
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Paul Anilprem wrote:Given that it is more of a hobby, OCP 11 part 2 (1Z0-816) would be a better option because it is, after all, the latest certification. In terms of difficulty, it is not any more difficult that the old OCP 8. Only a few topics have changed but that should be ok. Lack of a study guide does make it more difficult to prepare for and if that is your concern then you can go with OCP 8. I believe Jeanne's OCP 11 book will be out in the next 2-3 months anyway and our mock exams for 816 are already available.


Our 815 book is out next month. Our 816 book is expected in April. (We are working on it now, but in the early phases.)

Henk Smit wrote:I might just work my way through the Java 8 OCP study guide now in anticipation of the new Java 11 version by Jeanne and Scott... surely not all that I learn is a waste if I go for OCP 11 part 2? Knowledge = knowledge.


Note that you will have to learn a good deal on your own if you use our OCP 8 book for the 816 exam.  There's three entirely new topics (annotations, security and modules.) And there's a number of topics that are covered differently/in more depth.
 
There is no beard big enough to make me comfortable enough with my masculinity to wear pink. Tiny ad:
Java file APIs (DOC, XLS, PDF, and many more)
https://products.aspose.com/total/java
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!