• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Tim Cooke
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Paul Clapham
Sheriffs:
  • Devaka Cooray
  • Ron McLeod
  • paul wheaton
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Piet Souris
  • Tim Holloway
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Al Hobbs
  • Frits Walraven
  • Scott Selikoff

Java: how to know that you are ready to go?

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 11
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I am a beginner in Java
I spent 3 weeks learning Java on pluralsight, how could I know when to be ready to go ?
 
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 7488
171
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome to the Ranch.

"ready to go" to do what?
 
lowercase baba
Posts: 13081
67
Chrome Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I don't think there is a "bright line" test.  Programming is a field where you are continually learning, growing, and (pardon the pun) developing your skills.  I've been doing it for twenty years, and I'm taking new courses and trainings all the time.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 447
3
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I also have to ask what you mean by ready to go...

Are you asking ready to go work in Java as a career?  

I've been learning Java for over two years, have an associate programmer certification and still not even getting the most basic low paying job offers or even an invite to an interview.  
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 6
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Nathan Milota wrote:

I've been learning Java for over two years, have an associate programmer certification and still not even getting the most basic low paying job offers or even an invite to an interview.  



Exactly this. Where are you located? I am fortunate enough to live in chicago where there are thousands of java jobs but I still am having trouble.  I passed the OCA this month and have many personal projects done and yet to be invited for an interview. I am currently in school but only in my second semester and my graduation date is long away.

What frameworks do you know? i noticed a common theme with jobs ,is that even at entry level they still want knowledge of couple frameworks.  I am currently learning spring boot and building rest apis, JSF and microservices, but it is a pain in the ass. I am also currently studying for my OCP in hopes that it might atleast somewhat improove my chances.

Whats funny is that I know damn well alot of people arent being taught these frameworks in school. I know a few people that got a bachelors in C.S and barely know how to code.
 
Marshal
Posts: 76822
366
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
There is a big difference between knowing a framework and knowing how to code.
 
Nathan Milota
Ranch Hand
Posts: 447
3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Sebastian Drozd wrote:

Nathan Milota wrote:

I've been learning Java for over two years, have an associate programmer certification and still not even getting the most basic low paying job offers or even an invite to an interview.  



Exactly this. Where are you located? I am fortunate enough to live in chicago where there are thousands of java jobs but I still am having trouble.  I passed the OCA this month and have many personal projects done and yet to be invited for an interview. I am currently in school but only in my second semester and my graduation date is long away.

What frameworks do you know? i noticed a common theme with jobs ,is that even at entry level they still want knowledge of couple frameworks.  I am currently learning spring boot and building rest apis, JSF and microservices, but it is a pain in the ass. I am also currently studying for my OCP in hopes that it might atleast somewhat improove my chances.

Whats funny is that I know damn well alot of people arent being taught these frameworks in school. I know a few people that got a bachelors in C.S and barely know how to code.



Located in the Dallas-Fort Worth area in Texas where there are supposedly supposed to be a lot of jobs for programmers.


All I've used beyond core java so far was Swing and with databases MySQL and the jdbc functions, which I only actually saw one job ad that even mentioned Swing.   However, I spent the last half year preparing for the IZ0-808 exam because I wanted to know the fundamentals of the language more than I knew how to use a framework.   I've looked up Java interview questions and the ones that appear on every website I could answer without issue

In addition I have completed five IT courses at the graduate level and am presently enrolled in my 6th out of 10 for the program.  I have two other degrees not related to computer science, but in education and business which are still relevant to technology and may help with background knowledge of requirements elicitation on teams.  

I guess they either just are not looking at my resume because I don't have that work experience or the finished degree, so the certification along with the rest of my education not CS related hasn't helped any.  

I'm learning Spring Boot now
 
shall Maj
Greenhorn
Posts: 11
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

fred rosenberger wrote:I don't think there is a "bright line" test.  Programming is a field where you are continually learning, growing, and (pardon the pun) developing your skills.  I've been doing it for twenty years, and I'm taking new courses and trainings all the time.



I have an interview in a company working with java in developing its own solutions using their own frameworks

I tried to gather information regarding what could be asked during the interview 'nd I got these topics ; fundamentals / thread (concurrency / safethread ... ) / patterns / I/O & files

so what do you think about the possible "blocking" questions that I could go through ?

Thanks
 
shall Maj
Greenhorn
Posts: 11
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tim Moores wrote:Welcome to the Ranch.

"ready to go" to do what?



to start working
 
shall Maj
Greenhorn
Posts: 11
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Nathan Milota wrote:I also have to ask what you mean by ready to go...

Are you asking ready to go work in Java as a career?  

I've been learning Java for over two years, have an associate programmer certification and still not even getting the most basic low paying job offers or even an invite to an interview.  




Keep Up !
 
With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic