• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Websphere 5.0 web.xml reloading problem

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'm making changes to a web.xml deployment descriptor in a web application that has already been installed in WebSphere 5.0. I regen the plugin and restart the web application. The changes in the web.xml does not take effect. The only way I found to make it take effect, is to uninstall the web app and reinstall it with the changes in the web.xml file.
Is there any easy way to make a change to the web.xml without reinstalling the web app?

Thanks in advance
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 365
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
John,
The answer to your problem is always in the log files. WebSphere/AppServer/logs/server1. I will bet you a dollar that you have a duplicate context root error somewhere in there. Check out the logs (System.out). In any case, let me know and I will get with you. Restarting the app is all you need to do.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 37
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have the same problem. My web.xml is not re_loaded with WAS 5.0. The web.xml is differenet server, appone (not server1). I didn't see any error shown in my appone or server1 logs. I restart appone millions time. The new servlet code is picking up, but not web.xml.
 
shell Johnson
Ranch Hand
Posts: 37
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I found my answer to my question from this link
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_thread.jsp?message=66062&cat=9&thread=13224&forum=266#66062
I have to change web.xml file in this direcrectoy
> \config\cells\\applications\\deployments\\\WEB-INF
Not:
\installedApps\\\\WEB-INF
 
Scott Duncan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 365
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
IBM support says to update both files but I have not tested this. They also told me to use the wsadmin $AdminApp edit command. I tried this and it did not work but admittedly I did not try a restart or re-gen. The last option was to reinstall. They said this was the cleanest solution and the suggested route to take. They did not like the idea of people screwing around in the config files, I suppose.
 
With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic