Originally posted by Pradeep Bhat:
I am new to websphere.
Can some one tell me
1. Why do we need to click on start button after deploying an war or ear file.
2. what is was.policy file?
3. When I open the admin console only user ID is to be entered and no password. I find it quite strange?
1. There may be times you want to have an appliation deployed and ready to run but not running. Thus deployment and starting are two separate tasks. Think about the case where you want to have an application deployed but where it is not ready to accept requests quite yet (let's say that you're updating other parts of the web site...).
2. It's a Java 2 security file. See here.
3. If security is not enabled (which it is not by default) WebSphere does not have any connection to anything to use to check for passwords, so how would it authenticat you? Actually right on the admin signon page it tells you why it's just the user name -- it's for logging purposes only.