- Washington, DC, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Region: Americas
- Department: Engineering and Development
Shopify’s mission is to make commerce better for everyone. From building a new product feature for our commerce platform, to helping a merchant troubleshoot an issue over the phone, we want to empower our ecosystem through our work.
Having a unified vision, a north star, is vitally important to ensure that we are all headed in the same direction. No matter the size or experience, we want to power every merchant’s experience. This is why we're all here.
Shopify is now permanently remote and we're working towards a future that is digital by default. That location you see above? Consider it merely an example of hundreds of potential locations across North America where Shopify is hiring. Learn more here: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
At Shopify, Lead Engineers (also referred to as Staff Engineers) use their expertise and passion to multiply the overall output of their development team. As a technical leader, you’ll help drive your team’s vision to its implementation. You and the team will design and build technically innovative solutions that empower all teams at Shopify to build powerful and resilient distributed cloud software. Merchants that depend on Shopify for a highly scalable, performant, and reliable platform benefit directly from the work you do. You will maintain a high bar for quality and lead and mentor other engineers. And of course, you’ll be hands-on in the code and contribute technically. Here are just some of the stories from the teams who build and scale Shopify.
What does Back End Development mean at Shopify? Back End Engineers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code work on teams that ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We’re talking over 1 million online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of entrepreneurs will see your work within seconds – a difficult but incredibly rewarding responsibility. Shopify is the largest Ruby on Rails application in the world and we're a big part of the Rails community. We’re constantly improving our codebase to make it even better.
What you’ll do as a Lead Backend Software Engineer at Shopify:
• Learn and grow constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
• Design and build highly available, resilient and scalable platform primitives & API
• Work through problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items
• Collaborate with other Shopify leaders, executives and external partners to provide the best experiences for our merchants
Experience and skills that are important for success in this role:
• A proven track record of success in leading software development teams — strong technical mentorship is a must
• Deep experience building large scale, high throughput distributed systems and scaling web services, particularly those using and analyzing large amounts of data
• High level of fluency with and experience using technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) some of our most-used languages - Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python, React or React Native, Golang, Kubernetes - or deep experience with any object-oriented language and relevant transferrable technologies
• Experience with relational databases and SQL
• A passion for efficiency and collaboration, with a history of establishing great relationships across UX, Product Management, Product Marketing, Data, and SEO teams distributed across multiple time zones
• A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
• Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too