This has been running fine, with no problems, for a very long time. We'd make changes, save the JSP file, hit 'refresh' on our browser, and there would be our changes. No more.
Now, we can get away with making one change to a JSP page. If we save that and refresh, we see the change. On the second and any subsequent changes, the change is not recognized until we: 1) stop tomcat 2) clear the work directory 3) restart tomcat 4) hit 'refresh' on the browser.
Needless to say, this is a huge PITA during development. And we've made zero configuration changes between when it was "just working" and now, when it's clearly "not working".
I can confirm it's not client-side caching. I use IE for development. When I first ran into this situation, I switched to Mozilla (which I hadn't been running for about a week), and viewed the page. It also had the 'old' page. Aside from this, deleting cookies doesn't help.
It's not a network caching issue. There are no proxies between my machine and the server.
Again, there have been zero changes in any of the Apache/JK/Tomcat config files. This appears to have spontaneously stopped working properly.
Any ideas? [ December 17, 2003: Message edited by: Mike Curwen ]
(Just a "me too".) Since 4.1.27, I've noticed Tomcat acting similarly as you've described. I do seem to remember a day back around 4.1.24 when we didn't have these problems. [ December 18, 2003: Message edited by: Dirk Schreckmann ]
This happens a lot. Usually, the real issue is times on the server. If the times are off between you and the server, Tomcat doesn't see the new JSP file as newer than the compiled Java class. When this happens, if you "Touch" the jsp file on the server directly, Tomcat should then pick it up.
When we 'upload' our changed file, it gets time-stamped by the server. So our "modified" date is about 2 minutes in the past, according to my PC, but the server is the one doing the timestamp on the modified file, so it's internally consistent.