This week's book giveaway is in the Performance forum.
We're giving away four copies of The Java Performance Companion and have Charlie Hunt, Monica Beckwith, Poonam Parhar, & Bengt Rutisson on-line!
See this thread for details.
Win a copy of The Java Performance Companion this week in the Performance forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Servlet with Vista issue.

 
Dave Brown
Ranch Hand
Posts: 301
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey All,

I have run into a very very puzzling scenario. A problem which is only evident on Vista clients. Now before anyone shouts at me saying its not a servlet problem, perhaps not but perhaps I need to do something to my servlet to get it working on vista...

The problem : I have a servlet which returns configuration information in the form of encoded text. It can either be downloaded by clicking on a link or via a desktop application.

The desktop application download wasnt working so this was when I started to investigate.

Now I do not have any problems on XP, in either firefox, I.E 6 or I.E. 7, And neither do I have a problem on Vista I.E. if I download via HTTPS, BUT when I call the URL via ordinary http I get the weirdest behaviour..

The download begins ok, It reads the headers fine as it tells me the file size and gives me the save as prompt as expected.. Then when it begins to download.. (bear in mind I'm using dialup) the first 6 or 7k bytes come down ok.. then it gets slower and slower.. until eventually its 0 bytes/sec

Can anyone suggest what may be the cause of this ? I've fiddled with the servlet, fiddled with security settings on I.E. but nothing seems to make a difference. I do find it odd it works fine via https, but http has the problem.

Rgds, Dave
 
Deepak Bala
Bartender
Posts: 6663
5
Firefox Browser Linux MyEclipse IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
It is unlikely that you will find a response for this question because 99% of the world is still not using Vista (I can tell why ). Have you tried the firefox + Vista combination (Just to make sure that the problem is not because of IE7 + Vista) ?
 
Dave Brown
Ranch Hand
Posts: 301
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, Yeah I tried firefox. No luck, same issue. It must be something lower level, If I find the answer, I'll post it on here.
 
Dave Brown
Ranch Hand
Posts: 301
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Further to my tests... When running my servlet locally on my laptop and connecting from the 2nd laptop(vista) and making the same request, it works.

So to add to the complication, the problem is only occuring when i'm making the request to my server. (linux)

So maybe the issue is apache or modjk -> tomcat... This is really hard to track down, perhaps some kind of packet sniffer could help point me in the right direction..
 
Dave Brown
Ranch Hand
Posts: 301
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
ok folks, sorry for filing this in servlets. But I can confirm, if anyone was worried that the issue is NOT a vista/servlet issue.

Its something to do with Mod-JK.

I grabbed the result of my servlet and put it directly in a jsp. Same problem.
I took the result and put it in a html file outside of tomcat. It worked.

I called the jsp, directly on port 8080 bypassing apache and modJK, It worked.

So the only time I get the problem is when calling the page via ModJK.

I'm getting closer to nailing this, If I do find the result I'll add a final reply to this post, people may benefit from it.
 
Ben Souther
Sheriff
Posts: 13411
Firefox Browser Redhat VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yes, please do report back with what you find.
I'm going to move this thread to our Apache Tomcat forum since you now know that it has something to do with the connector.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic