I have been able to compile my servlet programs before I installed JAXP for XML processing. After I Installed this API, I could not compile my Servlets as well as the new xml parser java programs using those API. I got package not found errors.
Then I found that when I installed the JAXP package, it modified the autoexec.bat file by adding classpath set to the JAXP jar classes. When doing so it has put the jar files names as capitals. After I changed the class path by converting the jar file name to lowercase, It started working. My PC has Windows 98 OS.
So if anybody has problem when compile your servlet codes, check the classpath name. Change the jar file names to lowercase letters.