I'm in a pickle right now.
I've been working on a contract for about six months. The project is good, the people are great, and the opportunity has taught me alot. While I enjoy the project I'm working on, management has me going in seperate ways. On one hand the one manager has a plan mapped out for a 12+ month project. There are various issues and designs that need to be discussed. And it might extend or change the plan around, but it is what it is and 12 months sounds realistic. It's a great opportunity and it's great for me.
But at the same time another higher level manager keeps bringing up speed and thought the project should be done in 3 months. Not realistic at all, especially when there are many things out of my hands due to lack of admin rights or whatever. It just means we have to submit forms and go through a process if there are issues relating to the DB or web/app server and it takes time for the other side to even respond to those issues. In the mean time we are stuck in a pickle. But the one manager still wants to keep things on a low profile as they say and not get into it with even higher level managers and budgets. In a round about way, the company really doesn't want to hire anybody, but the one manager found a way to get some people in for the time being, as long as they stay off the map and get things done. Not a problem if not for an unrealistic time frame on top of so many outside issues that cause delays.
Like I said it's been great so far a nd I've learned alot managing, designing, creating, testing ,researching, teaching, and developing.
But what worries me is if these other higher level managers indeed start poking around and suddenly, project near complete or not, no longer want outside contractors there. I don't know, it's a weird situation and kind of uncomfortable. At this point I'm trying to get things done as fast as I can, but like I said, my hands are tied at times and I have to wait for other issues to be resolved before I can even test some of my web apps.
In a long winding way, the issue is in the fact I started updating my resume because I wasn't sure if I'd be on this contract for 2 more months, less or 12 more months. It's an "at-will" contract and who knows. how it'll go. So I started updating my resume just to get a feel for whats out there.. Well a couple of prospects contacted me, but since I'm in a contract where if I go, they'd be in trouble at this point, I wasn't interested.
But one opportunity, another contract with a large company, caught my eye. It's a contract that could get extended or could be a right to hire, who knows. That all depends. But while I wasn't really looking hard, just getting a feel for whats out there, the offer, while not definite yet, is an opportunity to make about double of what I'm making now.
That put me in a pickle. I like the opportunity I'm on now, but double the amount of what I'm making definitely has peeked my interest.
I'm not sure what to do at this point. I wouldn't want to leave my current project in limbo cause if go, mabye they can't bring in somebody else to finish it. On the other hand, if upper management does a round about way in finding out they did bring in a couple people, who knows what'll happen. Like I said, i'm in a pickle.