At our job we encounter these kind of situations very often when someone or other team member goes on leave (sick leave/emergency leave/fake sick leaves
Following is the situation i faced as a team lead :
I request readers to suggest what went wrong in my case and what i could have done as a lead:
1. a developer wanted to proceed on planned leave due to some medical reasons for his family member
2. bypasses me and approaches pm for leaves.
3. pm does not want to take any decision by himself
4. pm invites me and team member for a discussion, asks me if we could deliver the project without him in the same amount of time ( PM was trying to shoot team member by putting gun on my shoulder, PM himself not willing to give him leaves but wanted me to oppose his leaves thereby remain as good figure in his eyes..)
5. I understood his game plan, i ask for a backup resource (knowing that backup would itself take time to become productive),
PM refuses for a backup.
6. i refuse for delivering in the same time period at the same time, but agreeing to allow leaves to team member
7. i propose to put in extra hours every day and on weekends, but refrained from committing on behalf of other team members
8. PM asks team member to cut short his leave or do extra work till he is in office,
9. team member expresses displeasure, leaves meeting room, approaches HR and finally gets leave approved.
10. matter was reported to client, client was unhappy due to proposed delay, matter reported to Senior management who were also unhappy but didn't do anything to solve the issue.
11. other team members and me were pressurized to deliver within time.
12. team member returns back from leave, had another job offer ready in hand, resigns from job
*Note1* lead(me) was not authorized to approve any leaves of team members, only PM was authorized to approve.
*Note2* lead(me) was toothless, was not authorized/ or consulted in performance ratings of team members.