Brian Bezanson

Greenhorn
+ Follow
since Jan 22, 2007
Cows and Likes
Cows
Total received
0
In last 30 days
0
Total given
0
Likes
Total received
0
Received in last 30 days
0
Total given
1
Given in last 30 days
0
Forums and Threads
Scavenger Hunt
expand Ranch Hand Scavenger Hunt
expand Greenhorn Scavenger Hunt

Recent posts by Brian Bezanson

I'm going to try and diagnose it a little more. I'm trying to get some automated flows set-up at home in addition to this work.

Specifically to see if there is a decent way to take documents I scan (ScanSnap -> PDFPen Pro -> OCR). I'd like to rename the document based on some content in the PDF - but I'm not sure of a decent way to do that. Maybe after they are scanned, OCR'ed, and saved I move them into drop folders based on the document type (Medical Info, Medical Receipt, Regular Receipt, Other documents) and have something separate for each to ideal name and file properly.

I'll have to take a look at your book too.

Brian
4 years ago
I can throw this with a tag for Joe Kissell, but open to all.

I had the Automator editor open (and had two actions open that turn on/off "cloud" services -- they exist because when I get to work I want to shutdown Amazon Cloud, GoogleDrive, Box, DropBox, etc because they are blocked by our firewalls. And then to start it when I get home. I had Automator open to tweak one where I need to make a change for the Crashplan Service -- not the application).

Anyway, I took my MacBook Pro Retina 15" to a series of meetings at work. After 2 hours or so I was suddenly warned that my battery was dangerously low. I had to run back to my desk and grab my power supply. After giving it "juice", I opened up the Activity Monitor and looked at the Energy tab and saw that Automator had used/was using 96% of the battery. CPU levels didn't seem to be an issue - or I hand't noticed.

I quit Automator and after recharging my Mac I unplugged the Mac and opened the Automator editor again But in my brief testing I couldn't get Automator to use the battery so badly.

I'm just curious if anyone else has seen that type of power issue with the Automator editor.

My only other thought to try would be to step through on of those actions and just leave it between two steps and see if that was the trigger. I don't recall if I had run one or was stepping through and then went to the meeting and left things in a "limbo" state.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian
4 years ago
Thanks for the correction Tim. The links I sent -- and what I meant was Luna.

Not sure how I had Juno stuck on my brain
My checklist would be:


A great tool, especially if one is doing development on the Mac, is a package manager. After evaluating the ones available I chose to use HomeBrew. I use HomeBrew to install my JDK versions, tomcat, ant, etc.

Use the web links or HomeBrew to get all of this installed and configure Eclipse to globally use that JDK for your development.

On the Mac, she would go to Preferences -> Java -> Installed JREs

I have installed the following:
1.6.0_65 installed as a "MacOS X VM" with a location of /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home
1.7.0_67 installed as a "MacOS X VM" with a location of /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_67.jdk/Contents/Home
1.8.0_20 installed as a "MacOS X VM" with a location of /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_20.jdk/Contents/Home

I have 1.7 selected as my default.

Another best practice would be to use Maven for your build. That way either of you can pull down updates from the repository and the Maven pom files can adjust the Eclipse build to pull in the proper libraries and other configuration items of your application.

You mention the J2EE errors. But then talk about "Dynamic Web Module" which is way different than the J2EE error.

JSF is a technology you are using in your web application but doesn't seem relevant to the issues you are asking about.

I hope that helps get you both moving forward.