There may be some Dragon NaturallySpeaking interest in this community so I thought I�d drop of this information to hopefully resolve some of your questions. If allowed I would very much like to stop by every now and then and answer any other questions that come up on this forum regarding speech recognition.
1. If you�re using Vista you should have 3-4 GB of RAM. For an XP platform you will require 2 GB of RAM. The software will run on less but won�t be very effective.
NOTE: If you're looking at buying a new computer to use with DNS I would consider looking at ASUS computers. Regardless of what system you by, you want a Core2 Duo 2 GHz or better CPU speed, 2 GB of RAM an XP platform (3 GB on Vista), 2 - 4 MB of L2 cache, a SATA hard drive of at least 100 GB although you may be able get 160 for about the same price. Your soundcard will be important so go with a mid to high end Soundblaster.
2. Unless you�re using a Soundblaster card don�t depend on the integrated soundcard in your computer as it is probably poorly shielded. Get yourself an external soundcard (USB Pod) and use a USB port on the back of your computer as opposed to the front.
3. Here is a copy of the manual we wrote for version 9. It�s designed as version 9.5 upgrade manual but if you are a new user to DNS you can download a full copy manual at KnowBrainer.com. KnowBrainer Manual http://www.knowbrainer.com/downloads/KnowBrainer_Manual.PDF
4. Here is a copy of the KnowBrainer Quick Tips which is PDF help file for day to day troubleshooting that is updated all the time from questions answered on our forum. http://www.knowbrainer.com/downloads/NatPro_Quick_Tips.pdf
5. Here is a copy of our DNS 9 Review. I think you�ll find it pretty thorough. http://www.knowbrainer.com/downloads/v9_review.pdf
6. For research feel free to use the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition Forum
as it is by far the largest and most active of its kind. http://www.knowbrainer.com/PubForum/
7. I know there are quite a few users of NaturallySpeaking version 9 who don�t know about the Free upgrade to 9.5. Then there are some that do but don�t have time to find a path to it and worry about difficulty installing it. You should always use the most updated software especially when it�s free. Version 9.5 consolidates the code between version 9 and 9.1 and contains a few minor tweaks. The main purpose for the upgrade is for Vista compatibility. Here is your path and instructions - DNS 9.5 Update Guide http://www.knowbrainer.com/downloads/DNS_9.5_Update.pdf
KnowBrainer, Inc. Support Staff � Tom Hamilton
Now Providing FREE (1st 5 min.) Tech Support 615-884-4558 A
Nuance Gold Certified Endorsed Vendor ALWAYS Ask If Your Speech Recognition Vendor Is Nuance Certified