Joe Ess

Bartender
+ Follow
since Oct 29, 2001
Joe likes ...
Linux Mac OS X Windows
Forum Moderator
Joe Ess currently moderates these forums:
Cows and Likes
Cows
Total received
12
In last 30 days
0
Total given
0
Likes
Total received
329
Received in last 30 days
5
Total given
2
Given in last 30 days
0
Forums and Threads
Scavenger Hunt
expand Rancher Scavenger Hunt
expand Ranch Hand Scavenger Hunt
expand Greenhorn Scavenger Hunt

Recent posts by Joe Ess

I wanted to check back in and confirm that once we had SSL enabled from the proxy to Tomcat, this issue was resolved. 
We had quite a bit of trouble getting Tomcat's Connector configured.  If I specify any security options like sslProtocol, sslEnabledProtocols or ciphers, the proxy would not connect.  If I do not specify those parameters, Bluecoat connects fine and selects the most secure options (i.e. using TLS v1.2 and a very secure cipher) even though those were the values for the options I specified earlier.  I don't think this matters, seeing as how it is Bluecoat that negotiates security with the browser, but just one more thing to add to the "not working as expected" list.
3 days ago
That's a start...

Sal Ash wrote:
but my output is like this, I am failing to break my formatting at exclamation mark, which seems to be a common point to reformat



Interesting you say that, because you only show us one exclamation point in your example.  Do you have a specification for your input and output?  I am curious to know if you can have output lines like:


I'm also curious to know if this is a project for a class.  The reason I ask is that I am tempted to use certain data structures, for example a tree.  However, if what you have learned so far would bring you to a different solution, we should know that.

As for your code, it looks like Python includes the line separator character when it reads in a line.  Your next step could be to look at removing that character from your data since your output doesn't require it.
4 days ago
Have you tried reading the file with a Python script and printing it out?  That would be a good first step.
5 days ago

Rocky Rocha wrote:Is there an easy way to do this?



Off the top of my head, I don't think there's anything that will do it for you.  What have you tried so far?  Can you read in a command line (assuming your input is placed on the command line)?  That sounds like a good place to start.
6 days ago
Welcome to the Ranch!
What have you tried so far?  Can you read in a file using Python and print out the contents?  That would be a good starting point.
6 days ago

salvin francis wrote:I mean dogs/cats/pigs/elephants/donkey to name a few.



That got me interested in searching:

Aside from cattle, many kinds of livestock provide milk used by humans for dairy products. These animals include buffalo, goat, sheep, camel, donkey, horse, reindeer and yak. The first four respectively produced about 11%, 2%, 1.4% and 0.2% of all milk worldwide in 2011.[55]
In Russia and Sweden, small moose dairies also exist.[57]


Wikipedia

Apparently other animals have physical drawbacks, for example, pigs:

Swine are almost never milked...  The main reasons for this are that milking a sow's numerous small teats is very cumbersome, and that sows can't store their milk as cows can.[61] 


ibid
or their milk is not as palatable as cow milk to the discerning consumer.
1 week ago

Pete Letkeman wrote: the answer depends what the current problem your are trying to solve.
.



You are correct.  Since the Pi uses Linux, pretty much any programming language is available.  That said, I usually use Python because: a) I'm usually working on a project with my sons and that's what they use  b) Most examples on the net use Python  c) It appears from various forums Python is well-supported on the Pi.
1 week ago

Joseph Anselm wrote:
eg: Few posts in the web say that Jython 2.5 supports python 2.5



I believe this is correct.  From the FAQ:

Jython is an implementation of the Python language for the Java platform. Jython 2.7 implements the same language as CPython 2.7, and nearly all of the Core Python standard library modules. (CPython is the C implementation of the Python language.) Jython 2.7 uses the same regression test suite as CPython, with some minor modifications.



Joseph Anselm wrote:
Similarly I want to know the jython version that supports python 2.7.14 or more.



It appears that the latest version is 2.7.0.  The FAQ mentions 2.7.1 will be "released soon [in 2015]" and 3.x is "in progress", but I don't see anything else on the site.
3 weeks ago

Randy Maddocks wrote:

Joe Ess wrote:(seriously, they had a terrible reputation)



Ok, still looks cool, but less than favourable in the reliability dept. Kind of like an Chrysler* engine in a Ferrari, eh?  



If you like the looks of that, you'll love this: Raspberry Pi Zero W Powered Sinclair ZX
1 month ago

Pete Letkeman wrote:Sometimes they get Hangry, which is when you get so hungry that you get angry.



Just the other day my girl and I were heading out to go tile shopping (    ) and I ran back in the house to grab a Clif bar.  She thought I was joking when I told her that I felt "hangry" coming on.  Hangry is no joke!
1 month ago
Welcome to the Ranch!

Asher Max Schweigart wrote:I might be wrong here, but it looks like you've created a redirect loop.



I concur.  I've put in requests to have changes made to the firewall and proxy to allow HTTPS requests to be forwarded to Tomcat's port 8443.
1 month ago

Tim Holloway wrote: The "http" and "https" protocols are not hard-wired into ports, they're configured as part of the server.



I understand that.  I reviewed the proxy settings with our security guy.  As you say, both HTTP and HTTPS to the proxy are being forwarded to Tomcat's HTTP port.   I have another server running Weblogic and the proxy is set up to forward any HTTP requests to Weblogic's HTTP port and HTTPS to Weblogic's HTTPS port (insert saying about "assuming" here...).
I tried removing the HTTPS connector from my Tomcat configuration and the problem still remains.  Too many redirects. 
This may be a problem with Apache Roller (the application I'm trying to secure) or one of its dependencies.  A similar issue is on the mailing list from a previous version here

Tim Holloway wrote:I would be seriously concerned if Tomcat knew the keystore password without one being coded in



Agreed.  If I go back to using the HTTPS connector I'll change it.
1 month ago
I believe if an HTTPS request goes to the proxy, it forwards it as HTTPS to the server (my proxy guy is out of the office.  I'll have to touch base with him).
As for the keystore, it has a reasonable default:

By default, the pathname is the file ".keystore" in the operating system home directory of the user that is running Tomcat

Tomcat Docs
1 month ago
You are correct that the Blue Coat proxy is set up to handle the external SSL, however, when one hits a resource restricted by <security-constraint>, Tomcat that sends a redirect to use HTTPS, and I think that is where my problem lies.  For some reason (that I have probably configured), it is sending a URL that triggers another redirect and another and the browser gives up.
1 month ago
I'm attempting to secure parts of an application with HTTPS.  I configured the application's web.xml with a <security-constraint>.  Whenever I attempt to access a secured resource, I receive an error on the browser to the effect that "The page isn't redirecting properly".  If I try to access an unsecured resource, both HTTP and HTTPS work fine.
Tomcat is running behind a proxy (Blue Coat) which forwards the usual ports (80/443) to Tomcat's 8080/8443.  The following is the relevant section from my Tomcat's server.xml (the proxyName "example.org" is the "real" TLD on my server and I redacted the list of ciphers because it's huge).  Is there anything obvious I've done wrong?

1 month ago